What is the difference between domain mapping and a redirect in beginners terms.

This is why I signed up for premium support, to get me through these simple details.
While the installation of domain mapping seems to be well documented, a beginner like me needs to know a little more about how the domain mapping plugin is used, so I can obtain the desired outcome. Some basic 101 level introduction.

Anyway,

1) I own myrootsite.com and a second site called secondsite.com.
2) I created a new site with multisite called secondsite2, which shows in the browser as myrootsite.com/secondsite2.
3) I redirected secondsite.com to myrootsite.com, which has a dedicated server ip, and get myrootsite.com when I visit secondsite.com. OK, seems simple enough.
4) So I domain mapped secondsite2, via secondsite2's tools domain mapping menu. I entered in custom domain http://secondsite.com for the original blog address of myrootsite.com/secondsite2
5) When I visit secondsite.com I end up at myrootsite.com per the redirect.

How is domain mapping different then redirecting secondsite.com to myrootsite.com\secondsite2?
Does masking of the redirect effect domain mapping?
Do I need domain mapping, since I can redirect secondsite.com to myrootsite.com\secondsite2?

Obviously I do not understand the concept of domain mapping. What should be entered in the custom domain box under domain mapping, anything I want?

Also, under administration of domain mapping for the network settings of the super admin what is the difference between: a) domain entered by user, b) mapped domain, and c) original domain? Again, I am weak on terminology and strong on inspiration to do what I am doing.

As always, thank you for your ongoing support.
Have a great day.

• Philip John

Hiya!

1) I own myrootsite.com and a second site called secondsite.com.

First off, are you saying here that you have two different WordPress sites at those domain names, or just that you have purchased those two domains ready for use?

2) I created a new site with multisite called secondsite2, which shows in the browser as myrootsite.com/secondsite2.

Okay, just to clarify again - is this a separate installation of WordPress? Or is "secondsite2" a subsite of the Multisite network at myrootsite.com?

3) I redirected secondsite.com to myrootsite.com, which has a dedicated server ip, and get myrootsite.com when I visit secondsite.com. OK, seems simple enough.

How exactly did you do that redirect?

4) So I domain mapped secondsite2, via secondsite2's tools domain mapping menu. I entered in custom domain http://secondsite.com for the original blog address of myrootsite.com/secondsite2

Again, I need clarification on whether secondsite2 is it's own WordPress install, or a sub-site in a Multisite install?

5) When I visit secondsite.com I end up at myrootsite.com per the redirect.

That sounds correct, yes.

How is domain mapping different then redirecting secondsite.com to myrootsite.com\secondsite2?

A redirect is like a road diversion because of some road works - you are taken on a different route entirely. Mapping a domain by contrast is like going down the same road but it's been given a different name.

Does masking of the redirect effect domain mapping?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'masking' here - can you clarify please?

Do I need domain mapping, since I can redirect secondsite.com to myrootsite.com\secondsite2?

That entirely depends on what web site address you want visitors to see when they are on the sites.

Obviously I do not understand the concept of domain mapping. What should be entered in the custom domain box under domain mapping, anything I want?

It allows you to turn subsite.mymultisite.com into subsite.com. You would enter subsite.com into that setting.

Also, under administration of domain mapping for the network settings of the super admin what is the difference between: a) domain entered by user, b) mapped domain, and c) original domain?

That decides what sub-site owners see in the address bar when they access the backend. I.e. either A) subsite.com/wp-admin or B) subsite.mymultisite.com/wp-admin. If you choose "domain entered by user" they will see whatever they choose (they can have either A or B), otherwise they'll see B (mapped domain) or C (original domain).

Thanks,
    Phil

• afswpmu

I am feeling good here. You confirmed what I thought domain mapping was. Hope this clears up my lack of detail.

I am using WP multisite so I only have one installation at myrootsite.com. The installation has been placed in the root of myrootsite.com. I own secondsite.com and want it to goto "secondsite2," which is a subsite of the Multisite network at myrootsite.com and appears in my address bar as myrootsite.com\secondsite2.

Since I own secondsite.com, I hosted it under the same plan as myrootsite.com. It appears to me with my FTP software as a subdirectory even though it is an independent domain. The hositing software allows me to tell secondsite.com that I want it redirected to some place else. In this case, I sent it to myrootsite.com, which has a dedicated ip address. One of the options when I tell the hosting software to redirect is to have the site masked. The masking causes secondsite.com to appear on the address bar of the site it was redirected to and also allows me to add keywords, title, and description to secondsite.com to pass on with the redirect.

My goal is to have a visitor who goes to secondsite.com to see myrootsite.com\secondsite2 and think they are at secondsite.com. I want to take advantage of multisite and have only one WP site to administer. With this I mind, under administration of domain mapping for the network settings of the super admin I should choose which a) domain entered by user, b) mapped domain, or c) original domain?

Thank you again for all of your help. Have a great day.

• wecreateyou

The issue here is that you should avoid redirecting secondsite.com they way you are doing it. Follow these steps carefully and I think you'll be fine.

Note: You are not hosting the mapped domain secondsite.com . It will be parked most likely which is done through the Registrars control panel. All we're doing is adding an "A record" to that domain which just means we're changing it Ip address it resolves to.

1. Delete the redirects from secondsite.com to myrootsite.com that you are doing. (we're going to map them using an A Record)

2. In your Domain Registrars control panel you will add the "A record" with your server's IP address to the domain secondsite.com.

3. In most cases that's it you'll have a mapped the domain. But in some cases when your network is hosted on a shared server account you have to make a small tweak.

Hope this helps... Happy New Year!

• afswpmu

Thank you very much. About an hour ago I manged to work out, with Godaddy's support, exactly what you said to do. While it took a while for me to get a response from someone like yourself and with your expertise, it was perfect. I also must give Godaddy and A+ since they resolved the issue in 15 minutes. I am saying this because most of the time you only hear bad things about Godaddy and this time they did a great job.

This problem is resolved.

Have a great New Year.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.