This is why I signed up for premium support, to get me through these simple details.
While the installation of domain mapping seems to be well documented, a beginner like me needs to know a little more about how the domain mapping plugin is used, so I can obtain the desired outcome. Some basic 101 level introduction.
1) I own myrootsite.com and a second site called secondsite.com.
2) I created a new site with multisite called secondsite2, which shows in the browser as myrootsite.com/secondsite2.
3) I redirected secondsite.com to myrootsite.com, which has a dedicated server ip, and get myrootsite.com when I visit secondsite.com. OK, seems simple enough.
4) So I domain mapped secondsite2, via secondsite2’s tools domain mapping menu. I entered in custom domain http://secondsite.com for the original blog address of myrootsite.com/secondsite2
5) When I visit secondsite.com I end up at myrootsite.com per the redirect.
How is domain mapping different then redirecting secondsite.com to myrootsite.comsecondsite2?
Does masking of the redirect effect domain mapping?
Do I need domain mapping, since I can redirect secondsite.com to myrootsite.comsecondsite2?
Obviously I do not understand the concept of domain mapping. What should be entered in the custom domain box under domain mapping, anything I want?
Also, under administration of domain mapping for the network settings of the super admin what is the difference between: a) domain entered by user, b) mapped domain, and c) original domain? Again, I am weak on terminology and strong on inspiration to do what I am doing.
As always, thank you for your ongoing support.
Have a great day.