What is the difference between languages for Wordpress and WPML- also how to create multilingual sit

Hi,

(1) What is the difference between languages for wordpress and WPML
(2) Does languages for wordpress also provide translations for all the WPMU plugins?
(3) How do I add support for multiple languages for a custom plugin to languages for WOrdpress, ideally as a plugin (that separately updates from the Languages for Wordpress plugin itself).
(4) Suppose a user wants to create a site which has content in 2 languages- English and French (in the same site)-- Can he do that using languages for Wordpress? If not, then can he do it using WPML? Also, how can he clearly create articles in multiple languages- both articles have same content only the languages are different in each article.

Yours sincerely,
Arvind.

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums

What is the difference between languages for wordpress and WPML

Languages for WordPress provides a way to select a language of the site while creating a blog.

On the other hand, WPML integrates with the themes and plugins and when a site language is changed the plugin which is integrated with WPML will also show up in the selected language.

Does languages for wordpress also provide translations for all the WPMU plugins?

No, that is for core files only. For translating the plugins you will need to translate them using the language files.

How do I add support for multiple languages for a custom plugin to languages for WOrdpress, ideally as a plugin (that separately updates from the Languages for Wordpress plugin itself).

Language files will have to be created : http://codex.wordpress.org/Multilingual_WordPress

Suppose a user wants to create a site which has content in 2 languages- English and French (in the same site)-- Can he do that using languages for Wordpress? If not, then can he do it using WPML? Also, how can he clearly create articles in multiple languages- both articles have same content only the languages are different in each article.

No, an article can be written in just one language. You can use a tool like google translate to translate that to other languages from the frontend.

I have also tagged one of our support experts on multiple languages to chime in on this thread and give his expert advice.

@Tom Eagles

Cheers, PC

• Tom Eagles

Hi, there @Arvind

@PC asked me to stop by and provide some input for you so here I am.
    Let's take these one at a time.

(1) What is the difference between languages for wordpress and WPML

languages for wordpress basically provides translations for the core files (wordpress itself) It doesn't support dynamic switching as in changing languages from the client side. WPML does allow this as long as the language files exist in the install, this can also be set in the profile of a user so they can set the default language they wish the site and wp-admin to be shown in.
    (2) Does languages for wordpress also provide translations for all the WPMU plugins?
    No:Again its only the core files, to translate the plugins you need to use a program like poedit to translate the individual language file. The alternative is to use WMPL (CMS Version)String Translation WPML basically finds every string that needs translating from themes to plugins and then lists them for you to translate.
    (3) How do I add support for multiple languages for a custom plugin to languages for WOrdpress, ideally as a plugin (that separately updates from the Languages for Wordpress plugin itself).
    This is a scenario for WPML String translation as laid out above, plus the actual content of the posts can be transalted WPML supports custom post types, pages, normal posts etc. So for example even a plugin based on custompress such as the Directory plugin is fully translatable.
    (4) Suppose a user wants to create a site which has content in 2 languages- English and French (in the same site)-- Can he do that using languages for Wordpress? If not, then can he do it using WPML? Also, how can he clearly create articles in multiple languages- both articles have same content only the languages are different in each article.
    This is simple once WPML is installed you can define the languages you want on your site and when creating pages or posts there is a widget on the edit/create pages to create a translation of the page.

Hope this helps, Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.