What is the difference between protected content and Membershipplugin

What is the difference between the 2 plugins. For a project i basicly need that someone visits a page. one part of the content must be protected. Only visitors who join the emaillist must be able to see the protected content.

Which plugin do i use and what other plugins do i need?

It is for me not clear what is the difference between protected content en membership plugin.

Hope you can help.

• Ash

Hello @Jeroen

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

Michelle gave a nice explanation in another thread, I am quoting from there:

Here's my take:

Protected Content Pros
    1. Easy to use and set up. (Without reading the manual, I was able to set up Protected Content on my site in a fraction of the time it took me to set up Membership.)
    2. Better control over different types of content, like custom post types, BuddyPress, bbPress, and more.
    3. Very intuitive UI, leading to a smoother user experience on both the admin and member sides.
    4. No more remote pings, which are kind of a nightmare, to integrate with MailChimp

Protect Content Cons
    1. Not quite as robust as Membership, specifically when it comes to negative v. positive rules.
    2. Harder to manage the visitor experience.
    3. Currently, it's not possible to import your Membership subscriptions directly to Protected Content, so that would involve some additional set up for your already enrolled members with active subscriptions.

Membership Pros
    1. Can do more complex content protection, when a simple option isn't robust enough.
    2. Easier to control the experience for non-logged in users, for example with Membership you can set things so only visitors can see them.

Membership Cons
    1. Takes a while to fully understand how it works.
    2. Set up can be complex and time consuming.
    3. It's possible to lock yourself out of your site.
    4. While we're still planning on supporting Membership for at least another year, there's a chance it may be retired and replaced with Protected Content after that year.

Both plugins will take ongoing work as your site content changes, but here Protected Content wins for being simpler to manage than Membership.

We're still actively developing Membership alongside Protected Content, so there will still be features added and bugs fixed for the foreseeable future.

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash