What is the difference between Shipped and Closed?

Managing orders: When I click Shipped, an email is generated and sent to customer. When I click Closed, the same thing happens.

My client wants to know from a business process perspective, how he should use these functions.

Thanks in advance, Callum.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Callum,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

A closed order is something which was placed but was cancelled later on. You can mark any orders like that as closed and add your notes to those orders.

Closed orders will then not appear in your All orders.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

• callummccormick
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello.

Thanks for the speedy response. I seem to understand the business process. Thanks for clarifying.

My deeper issue is that regardless of which link is pressed (Closed or Shipped), the same message is sent to the purchaser. Is there a config that I've missed?

Callum.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Callum,

That is indeed a good question and before I answer that, I would like to make sure that I answered the first one with 100% accuracy.

Will you kindly allow me sometime to discuss this with the team and get back to you as soon as I can ?

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Callum,

Greetings and thanks for standing by.

Unfortunately I could not collect the exact info so I have tagged our lead developer @Aaron for chiming in and providing a quick statement about it.

Please note that it might take a while for him to come by.

Cheers, PC

• Aaron
    • CTO

A closed order is something which was placed but was cancelled later on. You can mark any orders like that as closed and add your notes to those orders.

Actually that's not true.

The 4 steps are progressive, each includes the previous. So If you skip a status like Paid to Closed, it marks it as shipped at the same time internally, hence the email. If you went from Open to Closed, then it would mark as paid and shipped internally at the same time.

Closed in itself just means the order is complete and you're archiving it away to history. So after you've shipped an item you can mark as shipped or closed, the only difference is if you want to still see it in your order queue or not.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for clarifying the same :slight_smile:

Callum, as Aaron explained, marking an order as closed, automatically marks the previous steps as completed. So if you have marked an order as closed from paid, it will be marked as shipped and thus the email will be sent.

So, if you have marked the order as shipped, and then you mark it as closed, it should not trigger another email. Please let me know if that does.

Cheers, PC

• callummccormick
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Apologies for the slight misunderstanding. Marking an order as shipped *or* closed has the same effect of sending out the shipping email. Marking an order as shipped *then* closed only sends one email out.

Confirmed and tested.

Thank you for your support.

Callum.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.