What is the easiest way to move a subsite to an outside server?

So you have a current and thorough thread that shows how to move a subsite away from my mulitsite to an outside server. I know that the user can export their content, but then they would have to recreate the site with a new database, plugins, themes, etc. Is there any way that I can use snapshot or another plugin to hand them a file that would completely recreate their site on their own server without having to rebuild it manually?

I would like a fairly non-technical way since I don't want to have to dig into my main multisite database to somehow splice out their database.

Thanks, Joe.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the question!

Snapshot migration logic allows for this; however, it is still in beta. So just make sure you don't delete the subsite until you know everything made it safely over to the new location :slight_smile:

Here is how you would do it:

1. Take a snapshot that includes all common files and all blog database tables. As seen in my screenshot.

2. Download the resulting snapshot .zip

3. Install WordPress in the new location and install snapshot.

4. Upload the snapshot.zip file you downloaded to /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/ (this folder is created when you activate snapshot)

5. Go to the wp-admin: Snapshots > Import and just click "Scan/import snapshots" this will import the snapshot you just uploaded.

6. Go to the snapshots list and you will see it there and can restore it. It will restore all the content included :slight_smile:

**Note: You can't include the users table in the snapshot as it would include every user from the original Multisite, so you will need to re-create any users you want on the new site.

**Note2: it includes all the plugin tables, but you will need to re-install the plugins themselves. Once installed, the settings from the snapshot will be reflected.

Hope that helps Joe! Involves a few steps but I think it's still easier than completely starting new and importing content manually.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• joejacobson

Hi Tyler,
    Thanks for the guidance. I will give it a try (test). A couple concerns:

1. They won't get any sensitive data from my main multisite database, right? In other words, if a hacker got hold of this downloaded snapshot database, would it help them break into my main database?
    2. So the new user would have to install Snapshot? But this plugin is not one of the free ones, right? They would either have to buy it , or I could install it using my license, right?

Thanks again, Joe.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Joe,

Hope you're doing well today! Sorry for the delay:

1. They won't get any sensitive data from my main multisite database, right? In other words, if a hacker got hold of this downloaded snapshot database, would it help them break into my main database?

It wouldn't include any db username/passwords - long as you don't include the wp-config.php file. They would be able to see your db pre-fix; however, that isn't very difficult to find even without having some db tables so I don't think it's anything to worry about :slight_smile:

2. So the new user would have to install Snapshot? But this plugin is not one of the free ones, right? They would either have to buy it , or I could install it using my license, right?

You could install it on there site, yes :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.