What is the main difference between Pay With A Like and Social Marketing?

Hello,

What would you characterize as the main difference between Pay With A Like and Social Marketing?

I have Pay With A Like active on one page and its primary purpose seems to be to reveal hidden content in exchange for a click / like.

How does Social Marketing differ?

I did watch the videos in the docs area, but I am still a bit muddled about which plugin to select for a use case and why. ???

I am trying to shortcut the time it will take to activate and test and compare and trial and error, etc.

Hoping somebody can say, "the main difference of one over the other is...."

OR

"You would use this one when you want to do ... and you would use this one when you want to do ..."

Thanks!

• Tyler Postle

Hey SooBahkDo,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

Patrick actually answers this question right here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/what-is-the-difference-between-social-marketing-and-pay-with-a-like-plugins.

I'll copy and paste his response here to save you a click:

They are 2 completely different approaches to help generate interest and traffic to your site.

Social Marketing enables you to create offers that appear in a popup display that, when liked, reveal the content. It's ideal for things like coupons, page passwords, special offers, links to hidden content, etc.

Pay With A Like enables you to specify pages, posts, etc that can only be accessed by liking. You can also specify portions of the page content that can only be accessed by liking.

Both of them can be used on the same site. Although you may want to avoid having both types appear on the same page. Could get confusing, and maybe even annoying, for your users.

Let me know if you have any further questions on this :slight_smile:

Have a great rest of your day!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• SooBahkDo

Thanks for the clarification Tyler,

However, today I received the notice below and wonder how this will impact the functionality of these plugins?

Pay With A Like
    Social Marketing
    Ultimate Facebook

"Dear Valued Resellers,

Facebook is changing its policy that may affect how your customers interact with their audience. Beginning November 5th, Facebook is removing “like-gating” on pages. As a result, we are unable to offer this feature. In other words, businesses will not be allowed to offer incentives like coupons in exchange for “likes” on their page."

What are the implications?

Will this render Pay With A Like defunct?

Thanks,
    Phil Duncan

• Tyler Postle

Hey SooBahkDo,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your patience here!

Pay with a Like is used for liking posts/pages on your site, not for liking your Facebook Page directly, which is was they are banning. We discussed this internally back in August and I don't remember the whole conversation; however, we came to the conclusion that this won't affect our plugins :slight_smile:

The major difference here is liking content on your site, urls etc. in exchange for content versus liking the actual Facebook page of your business.

Let me know if you have any further questions here!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.