What is the main feature difference between WPMUDEV Affiliates plugin and WP repository Affiliates P

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the WP repository plugin Affiliates
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/affiliates/
and how it compares feature wise to the WPMUDEV Affiliates plugin?

Any input appreciated.
Thanks

P.S. is there any particular reason that the drop down list of plugins one must select from when composing one of these posts continues to be confusingly random ordered instead of alphabetically sorted?

• PC

Hello @SooBahkDo

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Unfortunately we do not have a comparison chart to compare it with other plugins however here is the main difference.

WordPress Affiliate integrates perfectly with our Marketpress, Pro Sites and Membership plugins, and so allows you to offer your visitors and users the chance to share in the profit from promoting your site.

P.S. is there any particular reason that the drop down list of plugins one must select from when composing one of these posts continues to be confusingly random ordered instead of alphabetically sorted?

If you post your questions (which are not related to an issue you are facing) about general discussions like this in "General" category, then you would not require that selection :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Zyniker

Well, the biggest difference is almost certainly the level of support. Here at WPMU DEV you'll have access to a team of WordPress professionals. Whereas it may be only a single person working on the plugin in the repository.

Personally, I've found the biggest risk with repository plugins that are maintained by a single person or a very small team is abandonment. Some great plugins become unusable after a few WordPress updates if they aren't actively maintained. WPMU DEV plugins are actively maintained, so you can install them with confidence and know they'll keep working in the future.

• SooBahkDo

Hi Zyniker,

Thanks. I get that part, but the other plugin is also a professionally developed and supported plugin,

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/affiliates/
    http://www.itthinx.com/plugins/affiliates/

I was hoping for a feature comparison or at least a feature listing for the WPMUDEV plugin so it could be evaluated prior to adoption.

If no such feature list exists, then I guess I am out of luck.

I hoped someone on here using WPMUDEV plugin had tried others before and would share their experience.

Apparently, no takers...

Phil D

• SooBahkDo

Hello All,

I activated the Affiliates plugin and observe that it only provides an affiliate program for the network super admin site owner.

The solution we are seeking is a plugin that can provide an independent affiliate program for each subsite so that subsite owners can run their own affiliate programs to promote their individual sites and stores.

Seems like a multisite network owner using Marketplace and taking a percentage of transactions would benefit double from also providing each store owner with an affiliate system by which they can promote their individual subsites and stores.

Can this plugin be modified so that it can be installed on a multisite network and then activated individually on each site on a multisite network and thus provide individual affiliate programs for each subsite on the network?

Regardless of how it is activated, all referral links in Affiliates appear to go to the main site on the multisite network and never a subsite.

Is that correct or am I missing something here?

What I am looking for is a solution so a subsite owner who runs a store on their subsite can have affilates promote it for them. The WMPUDEV affiliates plugin does not appear to provide an affiliate system for their subsite, rather only for the main site unless I am missing something.

I am seeking a solution that can be activated per subsite and the entire affiliate system operates on the domain associated with the subsite rather than for the main site on the network. This would allow a subsite owner to run their own store and their own affiliate system for their store and subsite.

Am I dreaming that the WMPUDEV can provide this functionality or do I need to look elsewhere?

Thanks,
    Phil D

• SooBahkDo

The WPMUDEV Affiliate plugin description says, "This plugin adds a simple affiliate system to your site."

Which of the following is the correct statement, or are both correct?

1) "When network activated this plugin adds a simple affiliate system to the main site on your multisite network." This creates a user menu option for every user on every subsite on the network to become an affiliate of the main site on the multisite network. - not an affiliate of the individual subsite the user may be registered at. All affiliate urls direct visitors to the network main site only.

2) "When activated site by site, this plugin adds a simple affiliate system to subsite it is activated on." This creates a user menu option for every user on only the subsite it is activated on to become an affiliate of only the subsite it is activated on. All affiliate urls direct visitors to the subsite the plugin is activated on.

In closing, if both are correct, then it would be nice is these clarifications were mentioned somewhere in the documentation so new users do not need to spend time figuring out how it works.

Lastly, we are testing the WMPUDEV Affiliate plugin activated network wide in order to have the best of both scenarions.

Network activated WPMUDEV presents every user on every subsite with an opportunity to become an affiliate of the network main site.

However, we also want to provide each subsite owner with the opportunity to run their own independent affiliate system for their subsite.

AND we would like to provide both these features simultaneously.

At present it appears that accomplishing that goal requires activating the WPMUDEV plugin networkwide PLUS activating an additional second affiliates plugin site by site which then generates affiliate urls for each subsite it is activated on.

For the second site-by-site affiliates plugin we are using http://www.itthinx.com/plugins/affiliates-enterprise/

It seems instead of having to use two different plugins the WMPUDEV Affiliate plugin could be network activated and have a network super admin option setting, or a site admin level option setting for:
    1) Only allow affiliates for the main site
    2) Only allow affiliates for the subsite (that the plugin is active on)
    3) Allow affiliates for the main site AND for the individual subsites.

Scenario 3 seems to provide the best opportunity for the network owner PLUS the individual subsite owners.

Phil D