What is the most affordable back up for websites?

Hi, I recently purchased back up buddy to make my life easier to migrate a site to a new url.

I have some clients who need some remote destination back up.

I was just looking for some input on the most affordable... basically just to store back ups.

I was looking at Amazon S3... anyone else have any better suggestions... if so... why?

I'm looking for affordability (I will only download them off if there is an issue) as well as security and stability.

Thanks... I've google it for a while, but still don't know the best (easiest, most affordable, most secure) route to take... any help?

Thanks!

• Wharrf
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Emex,

Consider ManageWP instead for a good solution for backing up.

If you are looking at purely storage space, you might want to consider Dropbox or Google Drive. BackUp Buddy supports DropBox but not Google Drive. ManageWP supports both.

Note that for Dropbox, the API require a client plugin to store the whole backup in memory before sending to Dropbox (in my opinion thats not feasible for shared hosting). At least thats my experience with ManageWP.

If you do the backup manually, I can suggest Google Drive or copy.com. Actually Amazon is pretty decent. Consider using Reduced Redundancy Storage if you want to reduce cost further.

Price wise, here is the comparison (100GB monthly):
    Google Drive: USD4.99
    Dropbox: USD9.99
    Amazon S3: USD9.50
    Copy.com: USD9.99 (250GB... no 100GB plan)

To Summarize:
    If Manual backup: Google Drive (Good luck. its painful)
    If not manual: Amazon s3 because fair pricing, multiple redundancy storage around the world, most important, pay for what you use rather than stepped payments. Poor support though.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Emex Online,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

@Buooy has provided some great info and advice there :slight_smile: Our snapshot plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/ also integrates with S3 and DropBox.

You might also want to consider GitHub and then syncing the data, so you could sync to and from GitHub, not only would this help with any code changes, but your site will always be there as well, in a form that is ready to be pushed live, though you'd want to use that really alongside a backup plugin for the database.

ManageWP is also a great option and they have some fantastic features :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Emex Online
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi @Buooy

Thanks for the reply. I saw ManageWP not long ago when I was googling for something.... I will check it out, thank you!

But as far as the actual storage space... I will strongly consider S3.... the dashbord or whatever they call it just looks so complicated that's all.

• Emex Online

Hi @Buooy

Do you use ManageWP?

What happens if you are trying to do updates and one has an error, will you know about it?

Like if I do updates in each WP dashboard I can see if it starts having errors, but if I'm updating from ManageWP, how will I know there's a problem?

Thanks!

• Wharrf
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Emex,

we are using ManageWP.

Good question. I assume you mean updating themes and plugins and core. This is one of the issues we have with ManageWP is that you cant tell if there is an error directly from the dashboard.

Our workflow is this:
    1. Put Client site on maintenance mode. ManageWP has a great tool for this, but we use a plugin and a custom 503 page for our clients
    2. Update the themes and plugins.
    3. Check and verify the site
    4. If there is a crash, it is easy to restore the site from ManageWP dashboard. Thats what we like and we want.

Oh. I forgot. If you really just want to backup and you dont mind doing the updates direct from site's admin, you can consider a good hosting provider.

SiteGround offers really good and cheap hosting (We have verified the specs) and you can include backup per site for like USD2 a monthly.

You can also use managed hosting like FlyWheel (http://getflywheel.com/pricing). Awesome awesome services.

• Emex Online

Hi @Buooy

Thanks for the info.

Yes I was referring to those kinds of updates.

Thankfully I have a good hosting company, I use site5.com they have been good to me and keep 30 days of backups.

Its just that no one can ever ensure the promise of always having back ups, so I prefer to have my own, just in case as well, especially for large sites.

I can understand why you use ManageWP.I will take a closer look at it for sure.

Thank you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.