What is the mu-plugins folder and do I need it?

I keep running across references to an mu-plugins folder. I am having a heck of a time getting my subdomains working on my multi-site install and I'm wondering if this is something I need and might be part of my problem?

Thank you for all the help!
Isis

• Timothy Bowers

Hey isis.

The MU folder is a folder which you create, its only used in multisite installs and stands for "Must Use" so any plugin in there is activated automatically and across the whole network of sites.

Some plugins like our domain mapping plugin go into that folder.

It rests like so:

/wp-content/mu-plugins/

It should not cause a problem with sub domains unless there is a plugin causing it.

I am having a heck of a time getting my subdomains working on my multi-site install

What issues are you having, perhaps I can help further?

Take care.

• isis

Hi Timothy,

Finally got my subdomains working! It was an issue with BlueHost.... but thanks for the offer!

Okay, so I assume that if a plugin needs to be installed in an MU folder, it will say so in the installation instructions? I do have a multisite install and can understand how domain mapping would need to go in there...just want to make sure I don't wreak major havoc on the site by not putting something there that should be...

For instance, if using the WP-FB-Autoconnect or other way of logging in with a social network, would that need to go in a MU folder? Or is it fine on the main site? Does that (like Buddypress) log them into all of the sites?

Thanks so much for helping - that's awesome you are giving back!! Hope to become expert enough to one day do the same :slight_smile:

Cheers!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey isis.

Okay, so I assume that if a plugin needs to be installed in an MU folder, it will say so in the installation instructions?

That is correct, it should inform you to.

Less and less plugins are using this folder in favour or the "Network Activate" feature. For example our latest release of the domain mapping plugin.

For instance, if using the WP-FB-Autoconnect or other way of logging in with a social network, would that need to go in a MU folder? Or is it fine on the main site? Does that (like Buddypress) log them into all of the sites?

I don't use that plugin so I couldn't comment, but it would state in the instructions what is required.

I wouldn't envisage it needing the MU folder unless explicitly stated.

Thanks so much for helping - that's awesome you are giving back!! Hope to become expert enough to one day do the same :slight_smile:

You are more than welcome, we all need to start somewhere. :slight_smile:

I remember when I started out, it was much hard than it is today to get help and find decent resources. So I know how complicated and confusing things can be be sometimes. It always help when there are people around willing to guide you or at minimum point you in the right direction :slight_smile:

If you need anything else then just ask away! :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.