What is the proper sequence for integrating Membership with Pro Sites?

What is the proper sequence for integrating Membership with Pro Sites?
My main site will be http://www.supportyouridea.com. The member will sign up and get a site that is
http://www.supportyouridea.com/usersite name

I've tried doing it with just Membership, and just Pro Sites, and trying both.
It seems like the levels on Membership and on Pro Sites need to integrate somehow.

I also want to give someone a 7 day free trial with the option to get a paid membership at the end.

I feel that I am really close to getting this to work but a few configuration details and integration details between the two plugins are not set up properly. If there is a way to make my site work with only one of these plugins then that would be preferred.

Thank you,
Franck

• franckieb1

Ok, I was just able to log into the admin for a site I signed up with under the username newmember1.
    This is only with the Membership plugin. However, in the admin I cannot add any pages, just posts. Also, to make this work like I want it, it should be it's own site with the url supportyouridea.com/newmember1. It doesn't happen like that. It seems to make newmember1 a user on that site with privileges just less than admin . I need to give newmember1 his own site and admin for that. Also, I need to be able to put the restrictions on using certain features that Pro Sites gives. Hope this extra information is helpful in explaining some of the difficulties I am having.

Thank you,
    Franck

• Philip John

Hiya!

What exactly are you hoping to provide to users? You've mentioned the 7 day trial but nothing about what features they'll be getting.

As mentioned in the Membership plugin instructions it's important to map out exactly what you're trying to achieve first as that will inform the correct combination and set up of these plugins.

If you'd like to describe what you're aims are then perhaps I can provide some pointers?

Thanks,
    Phil

• franckieb1

Phil,
    I mentioned above that the user will get a site http://www.supportyouridea.com/usersitename. Before I subscribed to WPMU, I sent in a question asking if I could do that with the resources given in a membership. I was told that it would easily be possible using Membership and Pro Sites.

The site is designed to help people raise money for their particular cause: personal, charitable, education etc. After registering and getting their supportyouridea.com/username site, the user will have a level of access to the admin panel to fill in their site with content and have access to certain plugins. I can easily make all of these features function on a stand alone wordpress site. I will have detailed tutorials on the supportyouridea.com site to show how to set up these functions and fill in content on their pages so they can achieve their goals.

Here are the main obstacles I cannot seem to get over:

How do I set it up so that when the user registers and selects a user name (in this example it is chosenusername), he is issued an admin panel with user privileges that I can set for a site that has the url http://www.supportyouidea.com/chosenusername?

If what I am attempting to do requires both Membership and Pro Sites plugins, how do I configure it so that these plugins work together properly?

If I can set this up with only one of these plugins, how do I accomplish that?

The free 7 day trial gives the user the opportunity to see how easy it will be to set up a site to collect donations to support their project.

Think of it like YouTube having a free 7 day trial and then charging a monthly fee. Each person gets a site at youtube.com/username. They get to choose the username at signup. They get to do a few things to change the appearance of their membership page, but not enough so that it isn't a YouTube site. They get to add content by using the features provided by YouTube.

I hope this clarifies exactly what I am doing.
    Thank you,
    Franck

• Philip John

Thanks Franck, that does make it much clearer.

I believe that you can do this without Membership. In fact, I think using Membership in this scenario will complicate matters.

Pro Sites will allow you to set the price users must pay to receive a site and optionally set a free trial period.

Activating the Pay To Blog module will make sure that no-one can have a free site beyond the free trial period. Their site will be disabled until they pay.

Optionally, you could use the New Blog Templates plugin to create a standard "template" that all new sites are based on.

You could also, again optionally, use Easy Blogging to simplify the admin interface for you users.

Thanks,
    Phil

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Just checking in to see how things are going. :slight_smile:

We haven't heard form you on this in a while. So I'm going to presume your all fixed up now and don't need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.