What is the purpose of the Default Subscription for Registered Users

Hello. I am using the latest version of the Membership plugin (3.5.1.2)

Under Membership > Options > General, can someone explain in detail what the "Default Subscription for Registered Users" does? I can choose a subscription or choose None. What does it means to choose None, and what does it mean to choose a specific subscription?

I know a person has to take 2 steps to purchase a membership:
1) Register for an account on the website.
2) Purchase the subscription via PayPal.

Let's say a user registers for an account but does not decide to purchase a membership at that time, and decides to come back the next day to purchase the membership. If I set the "Default Subscription for Registered Users" to None, what does that mean for this user? On the other hand if I set the "Default Subscription for Registered Users" to a specific subscription, what does that mean for this user?

The user just wants to continue with his purchase. He already took step 1 (created his account), now he wants to continue and actually purchase the subscription. He would need to log in to his account he created the day before, correct? But if the "Default Subscription for Registered Users" is set to None, would this be possible? Or would the user need to create a brand new account to then purchase the subscription even though he created an account yesterday?

Or should I create a subscription specifically for the reason of choosing it for the "Default Subscription for Registered Users"?

Thank you.

• PC

Hello there Nick,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

I can choose a subscription or choose None. What does it means to choose None, and what does it mean to choose a specific subscription?

That is to assign a subscription to a user as soon as he signs up. Its beneficial for those kind of users who just want to give access to the users as soon as they signup for the site. It should be set to none, if you are using a paid subscription model.

The user just wants to continue with his purchase. He already took step 1 (created his account), now he wants to continue and actually purchase the subscription. He would need to log in to his account he created the day before, correct? But if the "Default Subscription for Registered Users" is set to None, would this be possible?

Yes, it would be possible. That option only assigns a default subscription as soon as they signup.

So if you have a paid subscription model, just leave it to none.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Nick

Hi @PC,
    When I set my "Default Subscription for Registered Users" to None, and try registering a user, the entire site blows up.

1) That user now sees ALL menu items in my top navigation and my main navigation that is only appear for specific subscriptions I control via Membership > Access Levels.

2) Any page that user clicks on, including the home page or the basic About page shows an error saying the content is protected.

This is not good at all.

Is this that user_id=0 bug that @Jonathan and I kept trying to fix?

All my menu items and content worked perfectly when I had the "Default Subscription for Registered Users" set to my Pending Membership subscription, but choosing anything other than NONE for the "Default Subscription for Registered Users" apparently is not right either, when I set it to NONE, all these other nasty issue occur.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Nick

Hi @Ashok,

Thank you for your reply. As you must have read, this is a major issue.

I can tell you that yes I have created an access level for visitors that I called "Visitors" and that access level has negative rules for pages and menus (just like all my access levels) that hides specific pages and menu items that other access levels can see.

On the Membership Options page, I set "Stranger Access Level" to use the level "Visitors"

For users who register for the site (before buying a membership obviously) with me setting the "Default Subscription for Registered Users" to "None" causes ALL menu items to show (ignoring the rules I set for menus for the Visitor role) and caused ALL pages to show a protected content error. It causes chaos on the site.

Can you please look more into this? I have been waiting for answers to this and cannot launch my website until this has been solved. Please understand I have been working for 2 months with various developers in trying to get the Membership plugin working...not just for my site...for all websites that use the plugin. Nothing I have brought up in the last 2 months were feature or enhancement requests...they have all been bugs. Can you take a look into this more? You guys told me I need to set the "Default Subscription for Registered Users" to "None" since I have a paid subscription model. But doing this causes chaos on my site, so I need that fixed as soon as possible. Thank you.

• Rheinard

Hi @Nick / @seofriik,

We're just getting some testing done on this right now before we issue another release. This will change the behaviour slightly @seofriik, so a default membership will allow for "levelling up" for newly registered users.

@Nick, while we're doing the testing, to keep your site working for registered users who do not yet have a subscription, you can assign the default subscription to the same as the stranger level this will at the very least protect your content. They will then have exactly the same restrictions as visitors until they join a subscription with different rules.

The issue is caused because of the confusion between positive and negative rules. Something we are doing away with completely with an upcoming version.

Thank you for your ongoing patience.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• Nick

Thank you @Rheinard! This is great to hear! Just a clarification to your post.

When you say "to keep your site working for registered users who do not yet have a subscription, you can assign the default subscription to the same as the stranger level", what do you mean by this?

In the Membership Options, I have set the "Stranger Access Level" to Visitors, but for the "Default Subscription for Registered Users", I cannot choose an access level, I can only choose a subscription.

There is no "Visitor" Subscription...there is only a "Visitor" access level. I purposely created that "Pending Membership" subscription for this very reason. I made the Pending Membership subscription to have mostly the same controls as a Visitor would experience (but again there is no "Visitor" subscription.)

I assume you mean I need to create a Visitor subscription? If so, I think the Pending Membership subscription handles that? If this is correct so far, when I go to Edit my Pending Membership subscription, do you want me to use the Membership Level of "Visitors"? If so, what should I choose for the Mode and Period? My site will have annual automatic membership renewals once a user buys a subscription. So should I set the Mode of this Pending Membership subscription to be Serial? Finite? Indefinite? Also, what about the period? 1 year? 1 day?

If what I am saying is not correct, can you clarify where I have understand incorrectly?

If you want me to use that Pending Membership I created as the Default Subscription for Registered Users, will your code fix my original problem outlined under ISSUE #1 in this post (cancelled memberships gained back their paid access after stopping payment)

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cancelled-memberships-return-to-active-memberships-and-more-bugs-from-version-3512

Thank you.

• Rheinard

Hi @Nick,

You are correct in your logic. I made the assumption that you have both a "Visitor" level and a "Visitor" subscription.

In your case, because its based around negative rules, this is what you need to do:

* Assign rules to the Visitor level as you have done.
      * Assign the "Visitor" level as the stranger level.

* Create a new subscription, e.g. "Pending Membership"
      * Give it the "Visitor" access level.
      * Make the period "Indefinite".
      * Assign this subscription as the default subscription for registered users.
      * (Optional: By checking the new option, it will assign this membership explicitly... this allows you to play around with moving non-members, but registered users up and down access levels... could have a bit of fun here with teaser content getting them to subscribe.)

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
      Rheinard

• Rheinard

Hi Guys,

@Fabio released version 3.5.1.4 a few hours ago. This should fix the issue with dripped access levels not working.

There is a new option under "Membership" -> "Options" -> "General" tab that when checked will explicitly assign the first level with the expiry date from the level (and a start date same as user registration date).

@Nick, I'll reply below your last comment.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• Nick

Hi @Rheinard,

Thank you so much for your hard work and a detailed explanation on how to fix my issue. I followed your steps and have encountered an issue.

When I register for an account, I do not ten proceed to the screen to purchase the membership (where the yellow PayPal subscribe button is and the place to enter a coupon code.)

After clicking the Register button, the next page I go to is the Member Subscription page where I see the "Pending Membership" subscription box and the text "You are on an indefinite membership."

I cannot proceed to the purchase page. And even when I enter the direct URL to the subscription's purchase page, I still get redirected back to the Member Subscription page of http://mydomain.com/premaccess1/member-subscription/.

The direct link to the purchase page is this:
    http://mydomain.com/premaccess3/purchase-membership/?action=registeruser&subscription=5

But as soon as I go to it, I get redirected to this page: http://mydomain.com/premaccess1/member-subscription/

Also, after I register, it's a little weird experience because I have registered and logged in, but I still see a "Log In" button at the top of the page, and when I click Log In, I go to my profile page.

Can you please look into? I have granted access to you. Thank you.

• PC

Hey there Rick,

Thanks for posting back.

I did a quick test on your site and see that too. Its kinda strange to be honest as its supposed to show us the option to switch to the other subscription.

Let me quickly discuss that with @Rheinard

Also, after I register, it's a little weird experience because I have registered and logged in, but I still see a "Log In" button at the top of the page, and when I click Log In, I go to my profile page.

That seems to be coming from your theme. Its showing the login button even if the user is logged in so that is the cause. Are you using a custom menu ? If yes, then you will need to show menu items as per the users logged in status. So the menu option for login should only be displayed to visitors.

Cheers, PC

• Nick

Hi @PC and @Rheinard,

Part of this was my fault. I had the [renewform] in between the wrong access level short codes...that's why it was showing for users who registered but not purchased a membership. I just fixed that shortcode so the "Pending Membership" subscription box and the text "You are on an indefinite membership." no longer shows for users who registered. So that's good!

However, the problem still exists that after I register I do not go to the purchase subscription screen. Nor does it work when I go to the direct link to the purchase subscription page (it redirects to the Membership Subscription page like I explained above.)

Thank you!!

Nick

• PC

Hey there Nick,

Thanks for posting back.

However, the problem still exists that after I register I do not go to the purchase subscription screen.

That happens as you are assigning a subscription to the user by default. Which makes it that they will need to manually go to the purchase subscriptions page.

The reason is that the user is only redirected to the purchase page if they are not assigned to a subscription.

Nor does it work when I go to the direct link to the purchase subscription page (it redirects to the Membership Subscription page like I explained above.)

Can you check if there is any strange redirect setup anywhere ? Or if you are using any kind of caching, please try and disable it.

It seems to be doing that even for an admin so a redirect is something I really doubt on.

If possible test this issue with just Membership and WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin enabled and let me know what happens.

Cheers, PC

• Nick

Hi @PC and @Rheinard,

I think I have this working. Can you and Rheinard share with me your thoughts on what I am about to say?

I went back to the Membership Options > General page and UNCHECKED the "Assign first subscription level to new users, added on new user registration only" check box even though Rheinard said it was optional to check it. By NOT having it checked, after I created an account I was successfully directed to the purchase page. And when I go to the direct link of the purchase page, I get right to it (no more redirect to the Membership Subscription page.)

Can you confirm that by NOT checking that box that everything should work fine? Or is there some other issue going on?

Thank you.

Nick

• PC

Hello there Nick,

Thanks for posting back.

Can you confirm that by NOT checking that box that everything should work fine? Or is there some other issue going on?

That should be working fine. Its for assigning the access level to the users. Some subscriptions may have multiple access levels and we only want to assign the first, that is when we should use it.

So if that is working fine without that checked, you are good to go, however I am still going to report it to @Fabio Jun that checking that box caused a user not being able to buy a subscription.

Cheers, PC

• Nick

Thank you! For the "Pending Membership" subscription assigned to the default subscription for registered users, I only have 1 access level. So it sounds like I don't need to have that box checked. But I would like to have that confirmed by the author like you suggested.

This "Pending Membership" and the need to assign the default subscription for registered users is basically a temporary holding place until that user buys the membership. I expect 99% of my users to register for an account and immediately buy the membership.

The only reason I feel I need a "Pending Membership" subscription are for users who registered for an account, but decided to leave the website and come back another day to buy the membership. I didn't want that user to have to register for a second account to proceed to buying the membership. I wanted to allow him to log into his account, and then continue where he left (thus proceed with purchasing the membership.)

Do you know what I mean?

Thanks!
    Nick

• Rheinard

Hi @Nick,

Glad you got it all going!

1) The new option on the General page is there to force a registration to a default subscription, not just use it as a fallback. This is for people who like to drip-feed access levels (various applications for this). So I now understand where your issue came from. In your case the forced subscription is a barrier and not useful.

2) Allowing the user to continue where they left off is a nice touch. A little hard to implement, but would create a better experience. I'll flag this on our roadmap for the rewrite. Thanks!

If you did want to give access to certain content before a member registers, just use positive rules to specific reminder pages for "Pending Membership" users. I know this won't allow them to streamline signup, but may be useful as a reminder. For example, in your theme you could enable short codes to work in widgets. Then have a specific access level for "Pending Memberships" so that you can use that short code in a widget to show a reminder... "Don't forget signup! Click here."

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• Nick

Hi @Rheinard,

Thank you for your detailed reply. Unfortunately this still does not work. I followed all your instructions and it doesn't work.

I created that Pending Membership subscription, which I set as the Default Subscription for Registered Users, and assigned a new access level to that subscription as you explained in your last post and set the Mode to Indefinite and the Period to 1 Day.

Once I register for an account, I am assigned to the Pending Membership. That is good. But then after I purchase the membership via PayPal, I stay stuck in the Pending Membership subscription. I do NOT move to the paid membership like I am supposed to. I can confirm that PayPal deducted the money from my account, so the transaction went through. But I stay stuck in the Pending Membership subscription.

I can see in my members list that @PC has tested this multiple times and he is also stuck in the Pending Membership subscription. I know one thing we tried was to set the Default Subscription for Registered Users to "None", but that blew up my site and showed all menu items (even the ones hidden for specific subscriptions) and gave protected content error on all pages.

So assigning it to "None" was no longer an option, and we all agreed on assigning it to the Pending Membership subscription. But this doesn't work either because the user stays stuck in that subscription even after purchasing a membership through PayPal.

This is going on 3 months of trying to get this working. Can you please look into? I really appreciate it. I really do. Thank you.

• PC

Hey there Nick,

While I am getting @Rheinard to look into this as well, did you check for IPN Settings in your PayPal account ? Do you have IPN enabled ?

If you do not, can you kindly enable that and try again ?

As PayPal is deducting money and the subscriptions are not getting moved, the reason could be that IPN is not being sent and the membership plugin does not know that the member has paid.

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• Rheinard

Hi @Nick,

Have a look at @Mac / PC's response first.

One other thing to look at with the default subscription. Since your users are not getting a dripped access level and they are signing up using the 'Signup' links on your site, leave the new option that forces the first level to be assigned unchecked.

Your default subscription will still apply it just won't be explicitly assigned (not a big deal on your site).

Once you've unchecked the option try to register another user with PayPal and see if that works.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• Nick

Hi @Rheinard and @Mac,

I did have that new option unchecked when I tested last night. So that couldn't have been the problem.

My PayPal IPN's were turned ON but I had the Message Delivery turned DISABLED. I was told this was okay many times on many support posts. I was told having IPNs turned ON was ALL that mattered and it didn't matter if the Message Delivery was disabled or enabled. I don't even remember how long I had had my PayPal set like this. But since you suggested in your last post that I look back into this, I did, and I ENABLED Message Delivery on my PayPal account and I was able to get this working on a few quick tests I ran.

When I had the Message Delivery disabled, I could see the transactions for my tests in my PayPal account, but when I went to Membership > Payment Gateways > PayPal Payments Standard Gateway > Transactions, I saw nothing. So clearly PayPal and my website were no communicating.

This morning when I enabled Message Delivery and did a quick test, I did see the test purchase I made on the transactions list in the plugin.

I still need to do more testing, but it appears that even though I had PayPal IPNs turned ON, I ALSO needed to have Message Delivery ENABLED.

I will report back later tonight when I return from work with more testing results.

Thank you as always for your truly exceptional support.

Best,
    Nick

• Julie

Okay...wow...lol...my brain hurts after trying to read the responses in this thread...:slight_smile:

I'm reply to this post because now that I have the Membership Premium plugin versus the free one, I can now set more than two access levels. Now, I will give you a bit of background to help someone answer my questions.

In addition to paid areas, I decided to have 2 free areas:

1. A "guest area" where unregistered users can visit
    2. A "free member" access level for registered users

This is what I hope happens if I set the default membership right -- is this right (referring to points I indicate below)?

1. I set the stranger access level to "guest area - no login required" (my equivalent to the "visitors area" as described above).

2. I set the default registration user level to "Free Member" so I can collect subscribers who want to receive mailings from me with their permission.

Question about #2 -- Should I check "Assign first subscription level to new users" or not?

3. I left the other settings for the paid access levels as is -- still adding content to them.

Other Questions About Membership Access Based on Prior Testing

Before I upgraded to the Premium, I only had three access levels, which made it kind of tough to designate a guest (visitor) area where no login is required. Now that I have the option to make additional access levels, I have more questions.

1. Before I switched my stranger access level to "guest area" (unregistered visitors) I had it set to "none." Is this why when I tested paid and free signups, none of the fake (test) accounts I created via Paypal Sandbox attached a paid membership to a user?

Concerning this, I had noticed that after making a test payment the user did not have a subscription. I'm guessing this is why - that I needed to change the stranger access level setting?

2. What happens if I set my "default subscriptoin for registered users" to "free" (a "Free membership where login is required")?

I'm hoping what it does is simply the free member signup, but I hope it doesn't cause paid members not to get the paid content they ordered from the paid levels.

• Ash

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original poster.

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Thanks
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.