What plugin can be used to expand a user profile with doc links,...

We want to add several enrichments to user profiles, including links to documents, photos, and other social media channels. Some of these fields would be editable by the user, some not. The individual would also have control over some of the fields being visible/searchable to other members.

I'd like a page (or sidebar widget) where users could search for other members based on some of these criteria.

On an admin page, we'd like to make reports like this: Full Name, link to FB, link to twitter, etc. If I could also offer the option to download either a PDF or CSV (either from the back end or front end), that would be amazing!

Are we heading into BuddyPress territory or is there some combo of plugins that are better suited?

For a BP neophyte, what/where would you suggest starting?

Thanks!

• aristath

Hello there @Joe, I hope you're well today!

The only way I can think of to do these things would be using BuddyPress...

We want to add several enrichments to user profiles, including links to documents, photos, and other social media channels.

You can do that with BuddyPress core by adding your own custom fields.

Some of these fields would be editable by the user, some not.

This may be a bit tricky...
    Handling permissions on a per-field level may be tricky.
    However you could simply write some CSS to hide the fields from the user's profile-editing screen so you and only you can edit them.

The individual would also have control over some of the fields being visible/searchable to other members.

BuddyPress can lready do that (see this article for details: http://wptavern.com/how-to-change-buddypress-profile-field-visibility-settings)

I'd like a page (or sidebar widget) where users could search for other members based on some of these criteria.

BuddyPress can do that too. :slight_smile:

On an admin page, we'd like to make reports like this: Full Name, link to FB, link to twitter, etc. If I could also offer the option to download either a PDF or CSV (either from the back end or front end), that would be amazing!

You could use the default Users page and customize it with some custom code to add the the fields you need.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Ginny66

Hi,
    I don't know if this would be the right fit for you, but I recently tried a plugin from Cosmozlabs .com called "Profile Builder Pro", which I was able to use (without installing BuddyPress) to set up profile/registration on a site I am working on. It has a lot of the features you want. I got it because it allowed me to set up registration on the front end and keep users completely away from the back end of WP. I also was frustrated with Buddypresse's CSS. I just didn't like the way the pages looked. Anyway, "Profile Builder Pro" is not free, but they have a free version and a comparison chart to show you the additional features you can get. Their documentation is not nearly as good as WPMU documentation, but I was able to figure out a lot by just playing around with it. For instance, I just figured out how to use a "website" field as a link field. I didn't see that in any of the documentation though. And you can set up most of the profile fields as sort fields, which makes it easy to group all users from a certain state or zipcode together.. or group those who filled out a profile field with a certain answer etc. So, if you are wanting to avoid using BuddyPress, you may want to consider Profile Builder Pro. Good Luck!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.