What plugin to use and will it provide needed functionality

[Your form forces me to choose an installed plugin, even though my question is not about an installed plugin…]

#1 I have a client who needs PART of his site to require login/password info. (There is no payment involved.) He wants to be able to specify which pages each member can access (based on advancement level).

This seems to fit the Membership Pro model. Correct? Is this the best choice?

#2 Is there a way to create a screen after the member logs in that shows which pages they have current access to? Also is there a way to show pages they will be able to access as they advance? (Greyed out until accessible or something similar? Could the login redirect plugin do something like this?)

#3 Is there a way to customize the member area so that other information can be imported into the site?

Thanks.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello ProSapien,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

#1 I have a client who needs PART of his site to require login/password info. (There is no payment involved.) He wants to be able to specify which pages each member can access (based on advancement level).

Our Membership 2 Pro plugin will handle it easily. You'll be also able to create different memberships in order to, for example, provide access to different pages for different user groups. In case you'd ever decide to charge for membership, you'd be also able to do this.

You can setup protection rules for posts/pages but you can also use "protection shortcodes" in order to "hide" only some parts of content. The simplest example would be hiding part of a long article so only members would be able to access its full content.

There's much more into this, so I'm pretty sure this plugin will be a good choice here.

#2 Is there a way to create a screen after the member logs in that shows which pages they have current access to? Also is there a way to show pages they will be able to access as they advance? (Greyed out until accessible or something similar? Could the login redirect plugin do something like this?)

This should be possible but currently Membership 2 do not include such feature so it would require custom coding work that's a bit beyond the scope of this forum. That said, you may want to post a question regarding this on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Of course if you feel like coding yourself, please feel free to ask any questions here and I'll be glad to provide with as much information and tips on this as possible.

That said, I can also think of a simple workaround that would be protecting posts with shortcodes instead of "protection rules" and this way you should be able to enlist those post anywhere you wan't without any complex coding needed and without showing their content to non-member users.

#3 Is there a way to customize the member area so that other information can be imported into the site?

You can customize "look&feel" of the members area with custom CSS rules but as for importing additional information - that would currently need another piece of custom development.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.