what size memory limit does all wpmudev plugins need?

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @cry1978,

It depends on how your WordPress in installed and configured, the plugins you’re using, any other plugins installed, their configuration, AND you server’s configuration.

I’m afraid there’s no answer to that question!

Cheers,

Ari.

• cry1978
    • The Incredible Code Injector

ok thanks @imperative Ideas I installed it and it says this

PHP Version: 5.3.28

Zend Engine: 2.3.0

PHP Memory Limit: 256M

Memory Usage Sampling: 125.35 MB

I see the memory limit says 256m and not 64m like my hosting said the limit was? lol

by the way, I used to live in concord ca 3 yrs ago and I loved going to the parking shop and have coffee. :slight_smile:

thanks for the help guys!

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

That means your server allows for a 256mb burst. Are you on Dreamhost? They will let you go over but they throttle your site speed at 64, which basically makes your site unusable.

With 256mb avalable, I’d usually allocate 192mb to WordPress and leave 64mb for other processes. I’d also encourage you not to host a second domain because two sites being active at the same time could bust your bubble.

You would, in most cases, add this to your wp-config.php file:

/**
    * Increase memory available to WordPress
    */
    define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '192M' );

If your host is throttling you at 64mb, go pick up a LiquidWeb account for $15/mo and all of your problems will go away. Personally, I prefer a WiredTree VPS but not everybody wants to pay $49-$80 a month for hosting.

• cry1978

I’m taking it vps hosting does not limit resources from what I hear, but is there a limit to how much resources you want out of a vps and not have it crash?

what kind of vps drive do you recommend for these plugins to work?

How much ram and what is a good processor to use?

I know where to get unlimited vps, but I would really just like to slow down on jumping from host to host and work on this website. I have switched hosting about 5 times in a month.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Hey Cry, sorry about the delay. I’ve had a busy afternoon and evening.

A VPS is, theoretically, like shared hosting but with a private “virtual server” installation that includes guaranteed CPU, memory, and bandwidth allotments. Nobody throttles you because you have reserved those resources with your $49/mo. For example, here’s an entry level VPS at my host (WiredTree):

1536MB Guaranteed RAM

100GB SSD-Accelerated Disk Space

CPU Priority: Equal Share

4000GB Bandwidth

Price: $49/month

Now, understand that a poorly written PHP script can still bottleneck the hell out of your site and cause you to run like a turtle. Your problem on a VPS, however, will not likely be one of limited resources.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

With all of that being said, Cry… a lot of hosts run a VPS like an excuse to charge you more for a shared hosting plan. Look into WiredTree and LiquidWeb. I use both but I think WiredTree is the better host.

When I look for a business-grade VPS host I am looking specifically for a company that doesn’t dabble in shared hosting. Any company that offers shared hosting under the same brand as their VPS systems is 10 times more likely to take a profit-first approach to your hosting plan because their margins are so damn thin.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

What is the name of the plugin? I’d start with the debug log.

Open wp-config.php

Delete this:

/**
    * For developers: WordPress debugging mode.
    * Change this to true to enable the display of notices during development.
    * It is strongly recommended that plugin and theme developers use WP_DEBUG
    * in their development environments.
    */
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Replace with this:

/**
    * For developers: WordPress debugging mode.
    * Change this to true to enable the display of notices during development.
    * It is strongly recommended that plugin and theme developers use WP_DEBUG
    * in their development environments.
    */
    // Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors',0);

Reload your theme

Go to /wp-content/ and find a file called “debug.log” – let’s see what is in it.

To disable the debug log, simply change:

define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true);

to

define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);

Enable it any time you need to trace issues.

• cry1978

Here is this screen shots of plugins I just re-installed and most of them 57 are super admin plugins not yet activating user plugins and this is taking up half of my system resources already and I see it all says pay per view.

but I did activate pay per view and it was low resources until I started adding more of the super plugins and maybe its due to marketpress.

I will insert your code tomorrow, I was brain storming my plugins and trying to get buddypress and member directory pages working together and finally solved the problem by myself.

thanks for helping

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

So you’re generating 3019 error messages every time a page gets loaded? That would certainly explain a few of the speed issues.

Let’s start with a few definitions:

PHP Deprecated

The term basically means “discouraged” or “disapproved”. It means that your plugin is doing something using a method that is no longer current. This is common in programming, especially when moving up a full version (e.g. from 2.9 to 3.0). In WordPress, things like passing a page ID through get_the_excerpt() are still functional but they are deprecated. Deprecated code is unsupported and often has performance consequences. As a programmer, if I really like a plugin, I’ll often go in and modify the outdated code myself then send the fix up to the author, if they are still maintaining it. You’ll often see fixes like this in the support forum for free plugins. If you aren’t a programmer though, consider finding an alternative plugin.

PHP Notice vs Warning

A notice is an advisory message meaning “You probably shouldn’t be doing what you’re doing, but I’ll let you do it anyway”

A warning is a message saying “You are doing something wrong and it is very likely to cause errors in the future, so please fix it.”

A lot of your notices are being generated by BuddyPress and, sadly, this is normal. There really isn’t a good social solution for WordPress, in no small part because the event model of programming doesn’t lend itself as well to social apps as something like the more modern MVC model. If you have a serious need for very serious social, have a look at PHPFox. As a CMS and blogging platform, it can’t touch WordPress or Concrete5. As a social platform, however, it blows them completely out of the water.

Summary: You can normally ignore PHP notices but the number of them being generated suggests highly inefficient programming. Deprecated structures are a bigger problem. Warnings are a huge problem (you don’t have any) as they are about half a step from a fatal error.

Consider replacing plugins that are using deprecated code and give some thought to whether WordPress is the right platform for you if you are heavily into social media.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Your deprecated plugins:

* blog-activity

* reports

That’s not too bad.

Your features on notice:

* Your functions.php file (blogs-mu)

* wordpress-chat

* ultimate-branding

* exclude-pages

You can very quickly see that some of these are NOT up to date

http://wordpress.org/plugins/chat/ – through 3.6.1

http://wordpress.org/plugins/exclude-pages/ – through 3.4.2

http://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-import-blog-activity/ – through 3.4.1

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

One final bit – stuff like this:

[05-Feb-2014 20:38:57 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/hostings/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/bp-core-template.php on line 1085

That implies that BP is looking for an object or option that hasn’t been created/set. This is just pure lazy coding in my experience, since an !empty() check prevents it from ever happening in the first place.

See if there are fields in BP that you haven’t filled in, which could be generating a notice like this.

• cry1978

so I would have to look at the php manual and get all the latest codes for each plugin, that would be time consuming, I just got informed to upgrade my membership here to correct these issues so I did. I knew these errors must have been the problem but someone told me no it was not a problem here at wpmudev?

I am not a programmer but I do have some what a brain when it comes to web design and programming naturally lol. some things just come to me and I know how to fix it without studying. like back when I knew nothing about php I fixed someones code in 10 seconds when they have studied php and tried to fix it for days.

But not everyone knows everything except you of course lol, thanks for helping.

all look into buddypress

• cry1978

I will delete out the plugins and see if the errors go away and re-install wordpress on a different domain, have the debug going on and track down these errors, I would like them fixed.

I am a vary determined and dedicated to solve problems.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Cry, I say this without a trace of snark and in perfect earnestness, because it’s the approach that I took. As you are a determined problem solver and many of the problems you are facing have to do with PHP programming, it’s time to get you on track to learn some of what you are missing.

1. Start with Jeffrey Way’s course on PHP Fundamentals (paid)

2. Move on to Jon Peck’s course on Object Oriented PHP at Lynda (paid)

Do not try to sign up for both at the same time. You need a firm grasp of the first course before you even think about taking the second one. If you want to get a sense of the quality of these courses before shelling out money, then start with Jeffrey Way’s free “30 days to learn jQuery” course. It’s an identical format. If all of this is still over your head, you can start with his course on 30 days to learn HTML and CSS (also free).

If you are disciplined enough to watch the hard parts multiple times and experiment until you know them, those four courses will give you a solid intermediate level foundation in web programming. At that point, reading through Professional WordPress Programming will be a breeze. When you want WordPress to do something, you’ll just take a few days to write a plugin yourself. If something is broken, you’ll fix it.

Want to be a problem solver for real?

Go out and get yourself the skills. You’ll be glad you did, and so will your wallet. The five items outlined, along with about 3 years of practice, are the difference between $150 Craigslist jobs and $3500 web development jobs.

• cry1978

Yes I did pay for the premium plugins over and over, i paid a flat out 100 just 3 weeks ago, and then I paid more because they said to buy premium support to get things solved with this issue. and it clearly states where you go to purchase the plugins if you pay once, you pay for all plugins and you get to keep them, what does that mean than?

so now I have to buy course to learn php? seems like all have to get wordpress tuts not just php, and I have studied php.

the problem looks like its just wordpress itself and the blogs.mu theme, but all find out for myself. thanks for helping.

• aristath
    • Recruit

On your site you have 57 plugins network-activated, 2 must-use plugins, 2 drop-in plugins and another 38 plugins activated on your main site.

That’s a total of 99 plugins activated on your site.

Most of them are not minimal plugins that only have a dozen lines of code in them and do simple things, they are full-featured, heavy-weight plugins.

No matter what you do, having such a vast number of plugins working together and competing one another for control is not optimal and is bound to cause problems.

I’m afraid there really is no way for us to figure out anything in there… there are simply too many variables to take into consideration and we can’t be absolutely certain about the cause of the issues you’re having.

Ideally you would use JUST the plugins that are necessary for the core functionality of your site and not every plugin available. That’s a pretty common mistake and it should be avoided at all costs.

Cheers,

Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.