What to do with email?

Hi, the question is not so much about how domain mapping works, but more on how do people who map their domain to my service (they have very limited technical knowledge) manage email accounts related to their domain name they've just acquired?

What kind of solution can I offer?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

They would either need to point their name servers to you and let you handle their DNS or they could have you or their hosting provider edit their MX Records.

You can find Googles MX Records on their site:

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hlrm=en&answer=33915

If they are with GoDaddy they can see another article here:

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33353

This would of course let them use GMail. I think they give a GB. We use them for another CMS project called ICMS and I've never had any issues which is fantastic considering its a free service.

Our clients have direct access to their DNS settings and can alter it in their client panel if not hosted with us or within cPanel if they choose and are hosted with us. But it an be confusing so if the clients requests we often set it up for them. Most decent hosting providers and domain name registrars will do this on request if they offer DNS service.

Your users can then use their own mail clients if they wish. I use Thunderbird. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.