What video hosting service for private membership videos?

hey. I'm creating a membership site. I want to have a way to host videos that are paid for by members. Already looking into the various Membership plug-ins, and now want a zone to stream video from that can only be watched on our site.

I would like a recommendation. I have looked at Vimeo Pro, don't know much about Wisteria, and am leaning for multiple reasons in the direction of Amazon AWS w/Cloudfront.

However, setting things up with Amazon is a bit obtuse and I would like access to some easier instructions and/or some recommendations.

The lean is towards Amazon because I also want to be able to upload videos to my BP Activity feed and not have them clogging up my site (which is another support request, but they're related. I'd like to streamline everything in one location)

Thank you!

• Rupok

Hey Griffin

Hope you are having a wonderful day.

As you said "can only be watched on our site", Vimeo Pro provides this facility as far as I know. They have a feature like this "Hide this video from Vimeo.com (Plus + PRO only) - This video can be embedded on other sites but can’t be viewed on vimeo.com. (Your video cannot appear in Channels and Groups but can still be added to Albums and Portfolios.)". So I believe this will serve your purpose.

But the options you mentioned, all of them have some awesome aspects. However as they are third party providers, I don't have huge idea about their service. I just searched for you and I found these:

Vimeo is a solid video hosting platform who is known for their robust hosting capabilities. They've been around longer than Wistia and are widely used by creative professionals.
    But vimeo lacks the easy analytics boasted by Wistia, and they have something of a confusing pricing model. Vimeo's free plan is HD-free, but the do offer a "Plus" version for just shy of $60 per year.
    If you plan to use Vimeo for your business, you will have to sign up for Vimeo PRO, which comes in at $200 per year.

On the other hand, Wistia is a full-featured video hosting service created with marketers in mind.
    One valuable insight is the ability to see when viewers drop off of your videos. By analyzing the type of content that tends to hold your viewer's attention, you can really start to hone in on the style and format of videos that your viewers enjoy the most.
    Wistia also includes the ability to easily upload new versions to existing videos.
    But all of the features included with Wistia don't come cheap. While they do have a free plan with three included videos, you're realistically looking to spend anywhere from $25 - 300 per month, depending on your needs.

In my personal experience, I once worked with Vimeo and their service was really good. You can make videos *only* available on your site with Vimeo PRo. Integration was easy, documentation was clear. But I can't say Wistia is bad. Their analytics and other features sounds promising.

As you said "I'm creating a membership site", we have an awesome plugin for that: Membership 2 Pro. With this plugin, you can control which videos to show to which member levels. You can create paid membership and then restrict the video content only to the allowed membership level.

Please let us know if you have any further confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.