What would cause the "Signup" button not to work in the Content Protection plugin?

What would cause the "Signup" button not to work in the Content Protection plugin (it just refreshes the page)?

• Greg

@Ashok @Michael Bissett

Well, it appears you did not because that message just posted. I am not going to retype the whole thing again, but basically:

1. With the latest version that came out today with Protected Content, the /register page Signup buttons do not work again. It seems to refresh but for a brief moment in time in the top left corner it will read "Create an Account" but go right back to /Register. Same issue as before.

2. Also, new pages like the /account or /memberships seem to not want to be protected (while other pages work fine it looks like). I need the /account and /memberships pages to show the same protected content warning as the others.

:slight_smile:

Let me know what you come up with please...

• Greg

@Ashok @Michael Bissett

Well, it appears you did not because that message just posted. I am not going to retype the whole thing again, but basically:

1. With the latest version that came out today with Protected Content, the /register page Signup buttons do not work again. It seems to refresh but for a brief moment in time in the top left corner it will read "Create an Account" but go right back to /Register. Same issue as before.

2. Also, new pages like the /account or /memberships seem to not want to be protected (while other pages work fine it looks like). I need the /account and /memberships pages to show the same protected content warning as the others.

Let me know what you come up with please...

• Philipp Stracker

Hey guys,

we're currently investigating this issue but could not yet reproduce the problem on none of our development installations. However, we're also checking the code for possible issues and are setting up more test scenarios that might bring up the reason of the problem...

I want to appologize for the problems with the registration process. We had many issues with version 1.0.4.3 that was using "virtual" pages for registration. So in 1.0.4.5 we migrated the plugin to use normal WordPress pages for registration/signup. At this point we assume that something very unexpected happened when migrating the virtual pages to normal WordPress pages.

Possible workaround
    1. Go to Pages > Show all. Delete the protected content pages (Registration/Account/Membership list/Registration completed/Protected content). If you don't see these pages then skip this step.
    2. Create a new simple non-private membership (you can delete it afterwards again). When a new membership is created all the Membership Pages are created again.

Please let us know if this worked.
    Also, if it did not work then please share the URL of the registration page so we can test the registration on that page.

Thanks and sorry again for the issues... Philipp :slight_smile:

• Philipp Stracker

We were able to replicate an issue with the plugin that occured after upgrading from 1.0.4.3 to 1.0.4.5 and fixed it!

The problem was that the old Membership-Pages (register/signup/account/...) cannot be migrated in some cases. If this happens then the plugin will now create a new page with the default contents that you can edit.

I have attached the updated plugin for you. We'd like to get your feedback, if this updated plugin also solves the issues for you befor we release it to all members...

To use the update:
    - Deactivate Protected Content
    - Delete Protected Content plugin from the plugins-page
    (you will not lose any data)
    - Install the attached plugin via zip-file upload
    - Activate the plugin
    (you will see a message "protected content updated to 1.0.4.6")

Let us know if the new version or the workaround posted in my last message solved the issues for you!

Thanks, Philipp :slight_smile:

• Greg

@Philipp Stracker

Thanks for both of your posts. Since the update to 1.0.4.5 all my virtual pages disappeared along with making any references to them on the pages and menu items invalid. Yesterday, I recreated all the custom pages by scratch using cached versions as cues for me to remember what I had done. The new pages were recreated with 1.0.4.5. I mention this so you know my particular circumstance so you can let me know which is better below . . .

Well, I was mid-way through the process of the 1st post when I got your second (which I had made a backup copy of all the recreated PC pages made using 1.0.4.5 and then deleted/trashed the originals). At this point, which is the better to go with (1.0.4.6 or continue on with your first post workaround in my case)? One of a couple of reasons is that @ryan mentioned above that he created a new membership direct and all the memberships pages were recreated and the Signup buttons began working BUT he also mentioned they stopped working again soon thereafter as well (within 1 hour he mentions).

That all being said, will 1.0.4.6 permanently fix the issue or will continuing with the workaround also permanently fix the issue (i.e. with the Signup buttons or any other crucial issues that would not allow the Signup process to be smooth)?

***I would request that if any other plugins in the future ever have a possibility of actually resetting plugin settings or deleting/removing work done on a plugin that a notice be featured and clearly marked with:

1. Notice clearly marked prior to updating during the process of downloading/description etc. of what could happen with any plugin update that may be particularly vulnerable (i.e. a non-typical or standard update that could cause issues similar to the virtual pages risk of migrating).
    2. Possibly some automatic backup button to revert the person to the previous plugin, settings, and custom work they had done back to the original (or something to where they can get their stuff back quickly if a plugin update goes badly)...something. A similar thing happened to me on a Enewsletter update about 1+ years or so ago that I was not prepared for and lost all settings, templates, and even actual users for example as well.

• ryan

I got it working last night by deleting files from database, however jetpack conflicts heavily with the plug-in not allowing new users. I just updated and everything seems to be ok, however i did not try to replicate the issue i ran into yesterday before removing files from the database for obvious reasons. I already removed jetpack too, but i would like to know if you can confirm the conflict before i re-install it, jetpack is a heavily used plug-in so i would think this would be something you'd want to look at.

• Greg

@Philipp Stracker @Ashok @Michael Bissett

Update: 1.0.4.6 does NOT fix the Signup buttons. If you look at the beginning of the thread prior to 1.0.4.5 the Signup button issue was fixed with a update being pushed out (just to give a little more perspective). The issue began again with 1.0.4.5 and the test version of 1.0.4.6 posted in this thread.

Steps I took:
    1. Deleted and trashed the recreated membership pages (some custom info on my end) made yesterday upon the release of 1.0.4.5 (as that update deleted all previous virtual pages and did not migrate).

2. Received @Philipp Stracker 2 posts today for the workaround and then later the test version of 1.0.4.6. Before I received the post on 1.0.4.6, I was already halfway through the process of attempting the workaround in his first post. That included making cloned/duplicate copies of all membership pages (slug appended with -2 and name pages name appended with -bk). Then, I deleted all original membership pages. Then, I went to trash and permanently deleted those as well so they would not conflict or have the same page names/slugs.

3. Received the post on the test 1.0.4.6 from @Philipp Stracker and proceeded with his instructions to (beforehand I also copied the plugin locally on my computer before doing the below):
    - Deactivate Protected Content
    - Delete Protected Content plugin from the plugins-page
    (you will not lose any data)
    - Install the attached plugin via zip-file upload
    - Activate the plugin
    (you will see a message "protected content updated to 1.0.4.6")

4. Upon Activating, a notice did appear that all membership pages were freshly created by the plugin.

5. I went to the page and the Sigup button still does not take the person to register (in refreshes and stays on the same page). Same as before. I also cleared browser cache and WP cache and resaved the page and tried that too.

***I could try deleting the pages again and trashing them and creating a new free user to see if that does it. Does it matter if I create the user internally via the WP admin area or does it have to be by the stock WP registration externally? I have all versions of registration redirecting to /register so I can not at the moment get to a stock WP registration page externally if so. Let me know how I can get to the stock WP registration if that is needed vs. creating the user internally via the WP admin area. So, I am on standby at the moment to see if I should try the Workaround referenced by @Philipp Stracker OR should I wait for a new version of the plugin to try to fix in direct? Currently, I am using 1.0.4.6 with fresh membership pages that the plugin auto-created (I have not edited them at all at this point).

Please let me know ASAP. I really need this resolved . . . smile.

Greg

• Philipp Stracker

@Greg: Actually the updated plugin 1.0.4.6 implements the workaround. So once you update to this version all missing pages will be automatically created for you again; though they will contain the default contents and you will need to modify the posts again in case you cusomized the contents... However, the plugin will never delete any page, so in the worst case you have duplicate pages that you can manually delete.
    -> So I clearly recommend using the new version instead of manually creating the posts.

@Ryan: I can actually confirm a conflict with Jetpack. When jetpack is linked with wordpress.com then registration does not work on my installation either. We are already investigating this issue... Thanks for your feedback Ryan!!

• Philipp Stracker

I hope to have good news for you guys! With Jetpack enabled we were able to find a very real bug that matches your exact descriptions :slight_smile:
    Of course we fixed it, tested it on multiple installations and released the corrected version already!

*If you have installed 1.0.4.6 from the attached zip file*:
    - Deactivate/Delete the plugin from the plugins list
    - Install the latest plugin from WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin or our webpage

Let us know about the results on your page! And be prepared: If this update did not solve the issue for you then we would *love* to get your FTP credentials so we can investigate and fix that issue asap on your websites! Use our Contact form privately send us your FTP login details - choose "I have a different question" and as Subject "Attn: Philipp Stracker". In the message body include a link to this forum page so the other support-guys know who's the person in charge - and of course also include your ftp details...

Thanks! Philipp :slight_smile:

p.s. In case you are curious - this is what happened:
    Protected Content has a logic to insert each shortcode only _once_ on every page (i.e. to avoid duplicate login forms, etc). However, Jetpack already does a call to the_content() in the page header without displaying the results; this marked all shortcodes on the page as "inserted". Protected Content was thinking that we already have the registration form on the page and decided to not to show it a second time, and instead showed the membership list again...

• Greg

@Philipp Stracker @Ashok @Michael Bissett @ryan

Nevermind. I just went ahead and took the plunge and did what @Philipp Stracker suggested. Ok, it seems the pages stayed intact this time and the Signup button actually works again. Thank you!

I will be testing the signup process to be sure everything seems to be smooth and will let you know if there are any issues.

So, you can disregard my request for a 1.0.4.7 version from my last post.

• ryan

Yeah Im still having issues randomly also, my home page is glitching out not showing protected menus for subs, people who pay with paypal single payments are not getting access, and i can't just add them, i have to completely delete them from users and re-add them. Really getting frustrating. and I am also having issues with the sign up shortcode, i have posted thread for issues but no responses except on this one from phillip

• Philipp Stracker

@Ryan: The PayPal gateway issues occured because of invalid permalinks - the plugin did not set the correct permalinks when updating... Please go to Settings > Permalinks and save the current settings again to refresh the permalink settings. This will solve the PayPal payment issues
    We'll release a small update later today that also fixes this automatically, but in the mean time you can use the Permalink-Workaround to solve it manually.

@Bruno: Can you create a new thread and post your website details, so we can have a look at your website? Also it would be very helpful if you enable Support-Staff access to that website so we can check your settings. THe first thing that I would check is your permalink-settings (i.e. first re-save existing settings and test again)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.