What would make this theme really awesome:

So I’ve noticed that many clients are posting on their individual sites’ blogs without images in their posts. This theme would be super cool, if there was a way to assign each different site it’s own image placeholder. That way you could use the logo of the site or something like that, instead of just a bunch of the same placeholder displaying on the home page.

Or I guess another option would be a plugin that would allow each site to set it’s own default featured image that’s always used, when no images are added to the post, and selects the first image added to the post, if the user doesn’t select a featured image. That plugin I’m sure a lot of people would find useful even if not using Network theme.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

a plugin that would allow each site to set it’s own default featured image that’s always used, when no images are added to the post, and selects the first image added to the post, if the user doesn’t select a featured image

+10 on that idea! :slight_smile:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

You know, lets think about this a little more.

Someone sent in a mail request a day or two ago. Their request was to use Site Indexer and merge Network theme with their theme. Not really going to happen unless they take the code out and put it in their own……..

So…….

mmmmm……

What if there were a plugin which extended Post Indexer. This plugin would mimic the way that the Network theme pulls those sites on the front. Potential options:

+ Grid display (X columns set by admin and X Rows set by admin)

+ Network activate (of course)

+ Custom default image – Allow site owners to se their own placeholder image.

+ Limit Placeholder image – Force them to use a standard Network image, perhaps include the text of their site, or when on a Pro Level in Pro Sites they could upload their own placeholder (more reasons to pay you some cash).

+ Sponsored posts – Allow posts to be sponsored. Those sponsored will be highlighted and will appear on the front in X row, X column (set by admin) for X amount of time (set by admin). This allows you to make more cash from featuring a sites article. Cool huh!

+ Limit Except – Admin set, admin could also turn off excerpt and have only titles.

+ Easy PHP embed. Easy Shortcode embed. Perhaps even hook on in there to squeeze its self in the right location on your site.

All just thoughts really. Any other ideas on this, would it be cool? Would you add something?

Take care.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Tevya.

We do primarily look here first for user feedback, User Voice is still a new thing for us the idea behind it is more to allow non members to get their voice heard although it is open to everyone.

Our forums will still be the main place we prefer members to add their +1s and support for new features and plugins although we dont mind either.

Now we take both into account. :slight_smile:

I’m going over to vote in a moment :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Tevya
    • Recruit

Somehow Timothy, I just plain missed that you’re staff here. Which is totally stupid of me, because you’ve helped me out before (maybe it was the new avatar).

Anyway, thanks for clarifying. That’s really helpful to know. Glad you like the idea. I really like your suggestions/possibilities above with the Post Indexer plugin. That could add some really great functionality. Thanks again!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Before I joined WPMU Dev as staff, I did spend a fair amount of time helping users out with different issues. I think that was part of the reason I then got this position :slight_smile:

And yeah my avatar changed, when I official started here my email address changed and it pulls the avatar from gravatar.

Thanks for the kind comments. :slight_smile:

• Jason
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I added a CSS background so that if there were no image, a default sitewide image would be displayed instead. It was really simple and took +1 line of CSS….

Relying on the users to set one for their own site seems like more work on the end users and relying on them.

Maybe if you could pull their blogs header image instead? That would provide continuity at least…

• Jason
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Sorry for the long delay, but here goes.

When you are styling the css for your specific site, set the background of the div for the image using the background property. Then if the image is called, it will be displayed over the background of the div you set in your css.

The double benifit, is it also shows across all images when it’s loaded, and subsequent images load over the default image that way.

Gimme your URL in question and I’ll get more specific, in cause you’ve made any modifications.

I don’t use this them, I was but I made my own. I did the same thing on this one though.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.