What would you use to make a Mobile version of your WordPress site?

So my Mobile userbase is growing, same as most people. I am currently using the plugin by Jetpack that allows a mobile version of my website to be automatically created, however this is very basic, is barely customizable, and does not show any adverts etc. I am sure there are some solutions out there for creating a mobile based WordPress solution, however I am struggling to find the correct solution for me. What would you suggest?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @ashley Pearson,

The best solution for something like this is using a theme that is responsive. This means that it is designed to display content on all screen sizes in a way that is optimized for that size.

For example, try resizing the width of your browser window on the forums here, and on https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ You’ll notice that the sidebar moves away, and the navigation changes to menu more suitable for mobile devices.

Best regards,

• Ashley Pearson
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi – I am fully aware of a responsive design, we use one searchbuzz.co – However there are always modules on the page that struggle to be responsive and many websites suffer from the same problem. Such things include modules related to advertising being moved over content, the navigation bar becoming a too large a module for the screen and so on. If you navigate to http://ipadpeek.com/ and look at our website, searchbuzz.co – You will notice that a button on the navigation has been pushed below “New Article”, and that the google advertisement is strangely placed within the sidebar slightly, and the logo is pinned to the bottom of the header.

Perhaps the question can be better crafted to understand the different methods that are available to optimise a current responsive theme in order to fix the elements that are not formatted properly within the design.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Perhaps the question can be better crafted to understand the different methods that are available to optimise a current responsive theme in order to fix the elements that are not formatted properly within the design.

You might not be optimizing the theme, as these sound like elements introduced by third parties. Perhaps plugins that don’t play well with your theme.

For these kinds of things, there is no one size fits all solution. You pretty much need to find and use plugins that are designed with mobile devices in mind, or correct every flaw manually with CSS, and sometimes even code changes to HTML.

Best regards,

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Well said @alexander. Even with good, responsive themes, sometimes you need a little CSS bump here and there to make things fit on all viewing devices.

@ashley Pearson, I’m not sure if you’re aware of media queries, but if not, you can use them to specify conditional css.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/CSS/Media_queries

For example, if the viewing device or browser window has a maximum width of 320px, the following would remove the padding from any occurrences of the .sidebar css class.

@media (max-width: 320px) {
    .sidebar {
    padding: 0px;
    }
    }

The following provides a great list of media queries for various devices.

http://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/media-queries-for-standard-devices/

• Bucgene
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@alexander

Yup I agree that responsive site is good, but there is a counter to it though. As always some desktop site are elaborate and have loads of content and information, but in certain case they do not need such complexity to the mobile site (think: restaurant website).

All they need in their mobile site is just basic information and a big “CALL US NOW” button.

So in these situation, mobile plugin or services like dudamobile.com is certainly very useful.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

One new interesting approach for responsive design is what they call “mobile first” It’s where you start off building a site (or theme) with the core CSS only showing the mobile version. Interestingly enough, media queries are used in reverse to add more styles as the screen gets larger. This helps with speed as well, as other resources aren’t loaded until needed in many cases.

Best regards,

• Ashley Pearson
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Well, I have looked at my latest Analytic stats and it shows that over 30% of my visits over the past month were from mobile devices. This means I definately need to ensure the mobile site looks a lot better than it does.

I guess our desktop site is a “Full” site with all the features. Some things are quite large, such as our top daily trends, and these could be removed and replaced with a list format instead of the large grid format. Could we make it so this formatting is automatically called when a user accesses the site from a mobile device?

Could have an icon at the top for the menu which opens up the navigation on the side. The only issue I have is advertisements, as they are not going to be shown properly unless I have a square advert within articles or something. I think calling a seperate website on a mobile device is definately the way to go, such as another buddypress theme which is based on your main one, but has less features, better responsive and more optimisation towards a mobile screen.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.