whats best way to implement an intranet in Wordpress

We have over 200 employess, and we want to build an intranet on Wordpress platform. We obviously want to protect our content, and not allow anyone access who we did not setup ourselves. Because of this factor, it appears Membership plugin doesn't really work, as:

1. It's usually attached to a price - but there is no price for our employees to be apart of the intranet.

2. Membership is kinda designed for people to register/signup/pay themselves.. we will not be using any of those features. Because this site will be accessbile via internet, we cant allow anyone the ability to register, we want to turn this registration feature off, and register everyone ourselves via the dashboard.

3. We do like the ability to protect content via Membership plugin... but again everything appears to be attached to payment.

Please inform what is the best way to implement an Intranet on Wordpress?

• Alexander

Hi @Vea,

Membership can still take care of this for you. While payments are a key part of this plugin, they're not at all required, and there are ways to do this. Here's a quick walkthrough of the simplest way. More steps may be needed depending on what you're looking to do.

1. Disable site registration.
    2. Create an access level for the basic access your staff will have.
    3. Create a subscription and add that access level. Give it a price of 0, and set to "indefinite"
    4. Head over to Membership -> Options -> General tab.
    5. Under Stranger settings, choose "None - No access to content"
    6. Under "User Registration" choose your previously created access level.

From All Members, you can also add subscription levels to users manually if you want to have different kinds of access available to different users.

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
    Best regards,

• Vea

Thank you Alexander for that detailed response. and so to control what content they can/can't see, I have to go into the correct access level and configure the rules? Also, I have a multi-site w/ two different sites added. I've enabled membership on both sites. However i only see the acess level and users on the one site, how do I sycn the acess levels, rules, and users to second the site without having to redo everything?

Best

• Alexander

First, do you have Membership network activated?

By default, Membership will allow every sub site to do handle it's own subscription and access levels.

You can change this by adding this to your wp-config.php

define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', false);
    define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_MAINSITE', 1);

Now, this will affect ALL sites. It basically makes the subscriptions and access levels work globally across your network. There really isn't a way to sync only two sites and have the rest work without Membership.

Best regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.