Whats the best plugin for a floating optin?

I want a floating optin on my wilsave.com page. It may be the slide in plugin, or maybe something else. I see something on http://www.advisorinternetmarketing.com
It says it was made by a company called popup domination. Does wpmudev has a plugin that will do something like this?
My goal is to have the popup float in and then when they sign up subscribe them for future emails and newsletters all in one swoop.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there steve. How's your Saturday?

You can do what you're looking to do with this plugin, and it's actually easier than I thought it might be.

This plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/pie-register/ creates a short code for the registration form you could drop into the edit box for the Slide In.

To double up and subscribe members to the newsletter as they register for your site, you'll need to check the settings for whichever newsletter plugin you're using (I think it's our e-Newsletter, correct?) to make sure it subscribes new site members to the newsletter list.

Then, if you're using a bulk mailer, either the one built into WordPress or a plugin, you'l just select all members as a target.

Hope this is helpful! I'm impressed by how hard you've been working on your site.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I've been working with you on several threads, could you link me to threads where you have not received an answer from a staff person?

Have you tried changing the settings for the pop in so it floats in faster?

You won't be able to remove the password fields from a registration form. Setting a password is a requirement for creating a new account.

• steve
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I do not want the user to have to put in a password to subscribe, it seems like a deterrent to subscription and not used on advisorinternetmarketing, they gave me the floating optin idea and say it works very well.
    Will any of the wpmu plugins do what i want? I appreciate the suggestion of pie-register, but since password is required and it does not float, i do not think it the answer, unless i am missing something.

Here are the links I have questions open on:
    1. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/whats-the-best-plugin-for-a-floating-optin#post-722235 (looking for the best floating optin for updates and newsletters, no password)
    2. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/selenamac-i-just-created-my-first-blog-you-can-see-it#post-722131 (trying to get the continu+e reading to work on blog so page does not display all of the text.
    3. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/question-about-buttons-and-appointment-plugin#post-721692 (trying to get appointments to work in a way that is very easy for user to look at and work)

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I know there's no possible way to be a member of your WP site without a password. Opting in to an email mailing list should be fine, but if you want to create your newsletter or email list from your site members, you'll need to get them to create a secure account.

You can use this plugin, Slide In, to get people to sign up for your mailing list, just remove the site registration short code and replace it with an email sign up.

If you have questions about advisorinternetmarketing's product, their support forums would probably be more productive than ours.

• steve

2. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/selenamac-i-just-created-my-first-blog-you-can-see-it#post-722131 (trying to get the continu+e reading to work on blog so page does not display all of the text.

this is still doing this, showing the whole post and not cutting off with continue on as i had hoped, please login and fix since telling me what to do does not seem to work in this case.

Also, how do you get the blog to show up on a menu page? the only way of the viewer to see it as far as i can tell is to be in the dashboard and view the post.

Please let me know that you saw and are responding to this question

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Steve, I was afraid we weren't going to get a chance to chat today. : )

It's not possible to only display the post excerpt on the full post page. Like I tried to explain in the other thread, the excerpt is typically only used when your front page is a list of your most recent blog posts (not pages), or when users read your site through an RSS feed reader. You can use a page break, with the <!--nextpage--> tag, if you want readers to only read part of your post at once.

In the meantime, can I interest you in taking a moment or two to view some of our videos and written tutorials? I think you've been learning a lot about how WordPress works,and how it's different than building websites on other platforms, but I think you'd really get a lot of out of some of the resources we have for WordPress beginners. It would likely clear up some confusion about what you can and can't do with different parts of your site.

Take care!

• steve

Thanks for the study tip, however, the material says the post should show up on my home page, i changed my home page settings to be blog excerpt entry from default, and I still do not see it show up on the home page. This is what the tutorial said "A Post is like a journal entry that by default displays on your home page in reverse order–showing the most recent entry first. It did not do that. Please help me see how to make the blog entry show up on the home page without having to go back and forth with answers that only spawn more questions.

• steve

Michelle,
    Did you see my replies to your responses yesterday..?
    Thanks for the study tip, however, the material says the post should show up on my home page, i changed my home page settings to be blog excerpt entry from default, and I still do not see it show up on the home page. This is what the tutorial said "A Post is like a journal entry that by default displays on your home page in reverse order–showing the most recent entry first. It did not do that. Please help me see how to make the blog entry show up on the home page without having to go back and forth with answers that only spawn more questions. I would like to see how the blog entries would look on the home page between the top content and the bottom widget area. Is that how it is supposed to be? Please help me do that.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi steve! I do get to go home sometimes. : )

Your theme had a setting activated which overrode the setting you changed in Settings>Reading, so it was still forcing the front page to display as static. I've disabled that, and now your front page is the traditional blog format.

Hope this helps!

• steve

Thanks, but I lost all of the top content on the page by what you did. I want the blog to start to display after the top content and before the bottom widgets, is this possible? That beginning stuff needs to be there.

• steve

So to reiiterate, the top content as is in the home page placeholders now should be on top, then the blog entries. As far as the widgets go, I am not sure. But this is what I wrote yesterday as well,,,,,(copied and pasted from yesterday)I would like to see how the blog entries would look on the home page between the top content and the bottom widget area. Is that how it is supposed to be? Please help me do that.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hello again, steve!

To change it back, you'll need to go to Appearance>Theme Settings, and the ticky box is on the first or second tab, at the top of the list. (It says something like "Override WordPress Default and show static front page" or something similar.

So you'd like another content block under your current content areas? That's definitely beyond what I can do for you here in a forum, it's going to take a few template edits to create that area. It's not a huge job, but it's definitely not a beginner job. Can I point you to our jobs board? There are lots of great folks in there that can help.

• steve

1. I changed back the ticky box so my front page stuff shows.
    2. i asked the question before but did not get an answer..Youcan see onthe menu there is a page called Blog- Planning for Retirment. It no longer shows up in the pages list in the dashboard. Where did it go and how do I get it back?
    3. If I cannot put my blog posts on the home page below the static area, that is where I will put it all for now. So I need that page back, otherwise I cannot point my blog posts to go there. Please help me to get it back or show me how should I do it.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Steve.

1. Great!
    2. Do you want that set of text to be a page, which will show up in your menu, of do you want it to be a blog post? We've switched this back and forth several times.
    3. You can put blog posts on your front page, but you'd need to hire a developer to add another template area below where your static content is, which you could use to display your latest blog post excerpts.

• steve

1. Ok, I have it set so the widgets will direct to the blog page which is a workaround for what i was trying to accomplish.
    2. I am confused on this following point, please go into the site and see what is up and fix it if you can...When you click the menu item BLOG, you go to the page http://www.wilsave.com/planning-for-retirement/ The problem is:
    A) that page does not exist under pages or under menus. I do not know how it got there or how to delete it.
    B)I want the blog post to go blog page, widget #3 will also go to the blog page as will the user if he clicks blog front he menu.The blog page should display in full screen my one and only blog post so far "Why Use a Financial Advisor?" And it should use the 'read more' as it does now on http://www.wilsave.com/blog/
    C)the blog page should show full screen blog without the side bar, that is how i have it set in pages, however, it is showing the full side bar and i do not know why. please fix it and tell me what i did wrong.
    I have extended access so you can get in.
    Thanks,

• steve

Michelle, This is the second time that I had a widget all set up and then the data disappeared. When I wrote the support request at 3;08, widget 3 had nice text, a nice picture and linked to the blog page. now the text, pic and link are gone. how does that happen? I have the WPMU snapshots installed but did not set the parameters yet. If i set them, am i understanding properly that it will make back up copies of the site so that if stuff like this happens, i can restore?

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Steve, there is no one on the planet who wants your site to be done more than I do.

I don't know why your widget disappeared. Did you delete it? Did you edit that text and forget to save it?

I also don't understand what the problem is with the blog posts, I thought I knew what you wanted, but every time I help you, you come back and want me to undo everything I just did. Steve, I really think you need to hire your own web person who can be available around the clock to help you.

We're so happy to help with lots of different questions, but we can't build your site for you. That means repeatedly fixing things that don't have anything to do with our products, like your layout.

• steve

Michelle,

Thanks for responding, but I feel your response it a bit unfair and I need to vent a minute.

To respond to your last post...you said I do know what I want while I think I am being very clear, for example, I was asking you if I could have static content as well as blog content on the home page and you ticked the box for blog instead of static, so I changed it back and used a widget to direct the visitor to the blog instead. Now, there is access to the static and blog content on the home page. So, I was not unclear on what I wanted and did not reverse something that you did to achieve the goal.

I appreciate all of your support, but feel it could be much better if you would have read my posts thoroughly before acting. I feel if you did, you would understand what I have been trying to say and we would have a whole less back and forth. I do not believe I asked questions out of what is allowed and advertised on the site. This is what your site says "Ask us about anything at all to do with WordPress"

I explained the page problem as best I could in the post from 3:08 yesterday. Maybe you did not understand what I was saying?

I also asked about the snapshot plugin, one of your plugins to see if it creates a total site back up wondering when events like what is set up in a widget mysteriously disappears if snapshot would be a good restore solution.

Lastly, the site is close to being finished, at least where I can start to publicize it.There's just these few buggy things that I am trying to get out of the way.

Max @TIVISM, thanks for the encouragement. Without it, I was pretty much ready to throw in the towel.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, steve, I have an idea.

We're going to make a dedicated blog page, and we're gonna slap it in your menu, and this should solve all the blog related stuff.

On snapshot, I'm not sure if you have a support question, or you were asking if it worked, but ultimately, we're still a ways out from everything being final, so we're going to push Snapshot to the back burner for a moment.

To make a dedicated blog page:
    1. Go to Pages>Add New.
    2. Title that page "Blog"
    3. Save it.
    4. install this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/display-posts-shortcode/
    5. Activate it
    6. Go back to your page called "Blog" and use that plugin's shortcodes to display your latest posts, or whatever configuration of posts you'd like.
    7. Save one more time.
    8. Go to Appearances>Menu and add the "Blog" page to the menu by dragging it to where you want it to go, and removing anything you don't want from you menu, then save.
    9. Voila! You have a static front page, and a link to all your blog posts, which live on their own page, in your menu.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.