what's the best way to roll out updates?

I prefer to have a development site for all of my clients websites that I test with major plugin and WP updates. Currently, I have a subdomain setup such as dev.domain.org. Once I have tested the plugins and WP updates, I simple delete the current WP install, copy and replace it to the primary domain name? Is there a more efficient way to do this?

Do you all have a plugin for this?

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Julius!

There's no need at all to delete and replace your current WordPress install each time you run an update.

If you're using a test environment, you can use a plugin like our Snapshot to take backups you can move back and forth, without killing the whole install. Here's how to work with it:
    1. Install Snapshot on both your production and testing sites.
    2. Take a full snapshot of your production site.
    3. Download that Snapshot, and upload it to the wp-content/uploads/snapshots folder on your testing site.
    4. Go to Snapshot on the wp-admin dashboard of the testing sites, and import the file you just uploaded.
    5. Snapshot will replace the URLs for you automagically, so you don't have to worry about that part.
    6. When you're ready to import back to the production site, just do the same steps, taking a Snapshot of your test site, uploading it to your Production site, and then importing.

Here's where to grab Snapshot: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

Hope this helps, and saves some time!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.