Whats the best way to test for plugin conflicts?

Hello WPMUDev'ers,

One suggestion I've received here for testing for plugin conflicts is to take all of my plugins and move them to another directory then one by one move them back to see if the conflict/issue returns thereby identifying the offending plugin.

So, would it work to create a new directory/folder in the plugins folder like /1temp and drag the other plugin folders into it while still inside the /plugins folder OR do I have to move them to outside of the plugins folder entirely?

Thanks,
Joseph

• Michelle Shull

Joe! How are you, my friend?

There's a much easier way to do this, actually, there are two much easier ways to do this. : )

1. The Folder Rename. Instead of your first step, simply rename your current plugins folder. I always do something like "_plugins" because I'm usually in a hurry. This will deactivate all your plugins at once. *IMPORTANT* Do not go to your plugins page on your dashboard while the plugin folder is renamed. Havoc will ensue.

After you've renamed your folder, create a new directory named "plugins" and then move from plugins one by one (or in halves, which I'll explain in a minute) to the new plugin folder, checking between each move to see if the issue persists.

The rule of halves: This is a trick I learned when I used to play a game with 1000s of bits of user created content which would break stuff much in the way plugins can break stuff in Word press. Moving 1000s of files one by one is about the most tedious job I can think of, so the system to test for conflicts involved halves.

• Michelle Shull

Joe! How are you, my friend?

There's a much easier way to do this, actually, there are two much easier ways to do this. : )

1. The Folder Rename. Instead of your first step, simply rename your current plugins folder. I always do something like "_plugins" because I'm usually in a hurry. This will deactivate all your plugins at once. *IMPORTANT* Do not go to your plugins page on your dashboard while the plugin folder is renamed. Havoc will ensue.

After you've renamed your folder, create a new directory named "plugins" and then move from plugins one by one (or in halves, which I'll explain in a minute) to the new plugin folder, checking between each move to see if the issue persists.

The rule of halves: This is a trick I learned when I used to play a game with 1000s of bits of user created content which would break stuff much in the way plugins can break stuff in Word press. Moving 1000s of files one by one is about the most tedious job I can think of, so the system to test for conflicts involved halves.

Move half of your plugins from _plugins to plugins, test. If the issue persists, you found the right half. Move half of the plugins from plugins back to _plugins. Test. If the issue persists, you found the right half again. Continue moving halves from folder to folder until you narrow down the culprit. This goes MUCH faster than one by one tests, as long as you remember which half you just put where. : )

2. From the Dashboard - the second easier way to test for plugin conflicts is to do the halves test, but do it from your plugin page on your dash. Start by deactivating all the plugins, just to make sure it's a plugin issue at all, then activate/deactivate by halves until you find the troublemaker.

Hope this helps, Joe!

• jsegal

Hi Michelle, how are you?

I am studying your instructions and will give it a shot. Thank you.

I am concerned that as I have posted a ticket/question re this domain here thats as yet unresolved and provided access to my domain one of your colleagues may be in there at some point and look at the plugins page triggering the havoc you mentioned.

I use Filezilla for FTP. I'm not sure how to move all these folders to another folder actually. Best I can figure now I move them to a folder on my local drive ie download them and delete them from the server. Then upload them to where I want to put them.

There's only two panels on the program. On the left is local site and the right is server/remote site. Is there some way to have both sides be for remote site that you know of?

Thank you Michelle.

All the best,
    Joseph

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.