What's the current best info on whether I need MU or Buddy Press and other questions

Hi, I'm new so I hope I'm not looking like it takes me an hour and a half to watch the TV show 60 minutes.

Here's what I want to do.

I want to have each new person be a free or paid member.

They get their own site that I have templates for with the template plugin if I understand that.

I want to have 1 free and 2 paid levels. All levels can build their site but the paid level get's more functionality and the top level get's more still.
I want them to have the ability to make their own forums, chat etc.

I want to be able to go to a million users if it grows that much.

My questions are:
1. Do I need MU/BuddyPress or just BuddyPress? And please say why? I looked at an old thread here from 2010 https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/do-i-actually-need-mu-or-just-buddypress

But that's a thousand years in internet time.

2. Would it be best for me to use the Member plugin or pro site plugin to get these levels and payments?

3. How do I control the amount of functionality they get at a certain level? I.E. Free they get a super basic site. OR they get main site access.
Paid level #1 they get a basic site to build. Paid level #2 they get a much expanded site to build.

How do I control that?

4. What's the best set of instructions to do what I need. I saw there was a plugin that looks like it installs MU for me? Not made by you guys, someone else. What's the best way and clearest set of instructions?

5. If I understand. If I don't use MU then my users don't get their own blog. If I use the new WP internal multi user function then they all blog and contribute to the main site? Is that correct?
Do they at least get their own separate sections/areas in the site?

I know I've asked a lot of questions so I really do appreciate your patience.

Thank you, Patrick

• PC

Hello there Patrick,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

My questions are:
    1. Do I need MU/BuddyPress or just BuddyPress? And please say why? I looked at an old thread here from 2010 https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/do-i-actually-need-mu-or-just-buddypress

If you want to offer blogs to your users, you will need Multisite. Now if you need a community on the main site where people can share updates etc, then you can use BuddyPress otherwise you can skip that too if you are just looking to create a network where people can signup and pay for sites.

2. Would it be best for me to use the Member plugin or pro site plugin to get these levels and payments?

Membership plugin is not made for this, you should use Pro Sites : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

3. How do I control the amount of functionality they get at a certain level? I.E. Free they get a super basic site. OR they get main site access.
    Paid level #1 they get a basic site to build. Paid level #2 they get a much expanded site to build.

Pro Sites allows you to create different levels and allow access to different plugins and themes to different Pro Levels.

So for example, the free level can only use free plugins and basic themes and the paid levels can have access to more.

4. What's the best set of instructions to do what I need. I saw there was a plugin that looks like it installs MU for me? Not made by you guys, someone else. What's the best way and clearest set of instructions?

I'd rather install Multisite Manually. Here is a good guide you can follow : https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

5. If I understand. If I don't use MU then my users don't get their own blog. If I use the new WP internal multi user function then they all blog and contribute to the main site? Is that correct?
    Do they at least get their own separate sections/areas in the site?

Yeah if you do not use MU, they do not get their own blogs.

If you simply register them on the main site, they can contribute to the main site but can not customize it. They can not have their own private areas unless you use a plugin for that or code that separately.

If you are looking to allow them to create their own sites with customization options, you should use WordPress Multisite I reckon.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Enfusia

Hey PC, thank you very much for the reply. You guys are great.

I'm just wanting to get this strait. There are a couple of things I need to be clearer on.

1. If I use pro sites:
    Then A). I need to use MU so that Pro Sites will work and give everyone their own site correct?

B). If yes, should I use the new "integrated" MU feature in WP or manually install MU? I want the best long term way for my users benefit.

2. If I use pro sites can I give the users ANY WP theme or do the themes I allow the users to choose from have to be BP themes?

3. To give my members forums, chat and others on the main site or their individual sites do I need to have my main central site be buddy press?
    Or is it only If I want them to log in and contribute that I need BP?
    This, is one I really need to get a grip on.

4. If it were you and you wanted your users to have their own sites with different levels of free vs paid and they can have chat/and forums on their own sites. Then form groups, forums and chat on the main site as well how would you set it up?

5. I read the Pr Sites info and can we use Authorize.net a a payment gateway on it?

Thank you very much, Patrick

• Enfusia

Hi, One question that might be unique.
    I am an annual member with you and I got my client to be as well. So, it may seem like I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm asking for 2 people.

1. If I'm building a site for my client. Does he need to download your plugins he needs for his site and then give them to me to install for him or can I use mine from my account?

I hope that makes sense. I just want to be sure I honor your agreements.

Thank you, Patrick

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for posting back and sorry for the delay :

1. If I use pro sites:
    Then A). I need to use MU so that Pro Sites will work and give everyone their own site correct?

Yeah, that is correct.

B). If yes, should I use the new "integrated" MU feature in WP or manually install MU? I want the best long term way for my users benefit.

Manual install will be awesome. Here is a guide : https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

2. If I use pro sites can I give the users ANY WP theme or do the themes I allow the users to choose from have to be BP themes?

They can use any theme you enable and allow them to use. Pro Sites gives you a better control on what all themes are available to which Level.

3. To give my members forums, chat and others on the main site or their individual sites do I need to have my main central site be buddy press?

If you need BuddyPress forums, then you can have BuddyPress on your main site but they will be creating the forums on the main site only. It would not be on their subsite. Is that what you want ?

For chat : You can use our Chat plugin : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-chat-plugin/

4. If it were you and you wanted your users to have their own sites with different levels of free vs paid and they can have chat/and forums on their own sites. Then form groups, forums and chat on the main site as well how would you set it up?

I would give forums on the main site so that I can have that as a community. That will be a better option and more engaging for my users. BuddyPress, BuddyPress forums (bbpress) and our chat plugin are a good option.

5. I read the Pr Sites info and can we use Authorize.net a a payment gateway on it?

Pro Sites info is here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#usage

Currently it does not support Authorized.net I am afraid. You can only use PayPal or Stripe apart from Manual payments.

1. If I'm using pro sites can I create fully done for you templates so that the user just selects a template already built onto the theme and can just start blogging?

Yeah you can. Our New Blog templates plugin lets you do that : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

With Pro Sites how is it that we can use a paid theme on all these sites without violating the license agreement for the theme?

What type of license agreement should I look for?

No license required. You are not selling the theme to your clients. Its just a part of your development package and you are not selling that as a standalone download. Just make sure that the theme you are purchasing is compatible with WordPress Multisite.

1. If I'm building a site for my client. Does he need to download your plugins he needs for his site and then give them to me to install for him or can I use mine from my account?

You can use your plugins from your account however the better way is to use WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and after installing this on your client's site, have them login into this plugin.

Then you can simply install plugins on their behalf on their site and they will be logged on separate accounts. This way its a win win for both you and your client

But again, if you wish to use yours, you can. Its just that no code credits should change and the product should not be offered as a digital download.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for posting back and sorry for the delay :

1. If I use pro sites:

Yeah, that is correct.

Manual install will be awesome. Here is a guide : https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

They can use any theme you enable and allow them to use. Pro Sites gives you a better control on what all themes are available to which Level.

If you need BuddyPress forums, then you can have BuddyPress on your main site but they will be creating the forums on the main site only. It would not be on their subsite. Is that what you want ?

For chat : You can use our Chat plugin : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-chat-plugin/

I would give forums on the main site so that I can have that as a community. That will be a better option and more engaging for my users. BuddyPress, BuddyPress forums (bbpress) and our chat plugin are a good option.

Pro Sites info is here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#usage

Currently it does not support Authorized.net I am afraid. You can only use PayPal or Stripe apart from Manual payments.

1. If I'm using pro sites can I create fully done for you templates so that the user just selects a template already built onto the theme and can just start blogging?

Yeah you can. Our New Blog templates plugin lets you do that : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

With Pro Sites how is it that we can use a paid theme on all these sites without violating the license agreement for the theme?

No license required. You are not selling the theme to your clients. Its just a part of your development package and you are not selling that as a standalone download. Just make sure that the theme you are purchasing is compatible with WordPress Multisite.

You can use your plugins from your account however the better way is to use WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and after installing this on your client's site, have them login into this plugin.

Then you can simply install plugins on their behalf on their site and they will be logged on separate accounts. This way its a win win for both you and your client

But again, if you wish to use yours, you can. Its just that no code credits should change and the product should not be offered as a digital download.

Cheers, PC

• Enfusia

Hey, thank you very much.

One of your replies brought up a question that I had not considered.

My question was: With Pro Sites how is it that we can use a paid theme on all these sites without violating the license agreement for the theme?

Your reply was:

So, the question is this.
    does this mean that I can only give the users who get their own blog via MU sites to use that are Multisite compatible?

I plan on using your blog template plugin and offering them choices to use to theme their sites.

So, I can only use Multi site ready themes for this task? Is that correct?

Most of the really good themes out there that are responsive make no mention of multisite ready.

If the above is correct do you have a list of places I can shop?

I would use your themes but they aren't responsive.

Thank you, Patrick

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

My question was: With Pro Sites how is it that we can use a paid theme on all these sites without violating the license agreement for the theme?

Companies like ourselves use GPL, this lets you use our plugins and themes on any sites you like.

Some companies give the impression you're restricted and you're not. Others try to force harder limits. You can always check with them and then stick to companies that honour GPL. For example these guys don't restrict:

http://www.elegantthemes.com/

Neither do we, so you can use ours on all your sites in a multisite.

Some companies that do restrict may only restrict to the domain, so you're good to use them in Multisite. Best to check with the relevant seller.

FYI: our forthcoming theme project will be responsive

All themes that follow WordPress standards should work in multisite, you can always ask the seller

Take care.