What's the difference between Pro SItes and WHMCS?

Does the Pro Sites plugin work together with the two WHMCS MU plugins? All 3 seam to be the same to me. Is there a page that compares all the features?

• Gabe

Hey, good question. First, an overview of what WMHCS is:
    "WHMCS is an all-in-one client management, billing & support solution for online businesses. Handling everything from signup to termination, WHMCS is a powerful business automation tool that puts you firmly in control".

WHMCS is a separate service, has various costs depending on what plan you want (a one-time fee is an option), and is not affiliated with WPMU DEV.

To sell website to customers, you can use WHMCS or Pro Sites. If you're using WHMCS, use the WHMCS plugins. If you're not using WHMCS and don't plan to, use Pro Sites.

Pro Sites: Allows you to sell WordPress sites to customers with premium plugins, themes, quotes and more. It also manages billing, automatic signups, etc. If you use WHMCS, you can still use Pro Sites if you don't want to integrate it with your WordPress install, but it's a great tool so you might as well take advantage of the integration features (i.e. support portal, selling domains, more gateways, email accounts, etc.

WHMCS MU Provisioning: Let's you sell website services (as you would through WHMCS itself) actually through your WordPress multisite. This is essentially Pro Sites for WHMCS.

WHMCS WP Integration: Integrates your WHMCS portal (billing, support, etc.) into WordPress to make it seamless for clients.

In summary, if you're NOT using WHMCS just use Pro Sites. If you're using WHMCS, use WHMCS MU Provisioning and WHMCS WP Integration.

If you're still on the fence about whether to use WHMCS or not, think of what kind of company you want to have. Personally, I chose not to use WHMCS so I could outsource my hosting and server management. I didn't want to have anything to do with hosting; I just wanted to provide incredible websites to clients. I didn't want to hassle with email, domains or any of that stuff. When I clients used my services, I didn't want them worrying about hosting, I just wanted them to know that it'd be taken care of. However, if you do decide to use WHMCS, it expands the number of services you can include. It's totally up to you and contingent upon the kind of business you want.

Hope this helps.

• lightbee

Thank you Gabe, for such a quick response.

Your comments were very helpful. In some ways you helped me understand better and in others you helped me see more clearly what I don't understand.

I find this statement very confusing:

If you use WHMCS, you can still use Pro Sites if you don't want to integrate it with your WordPress install

ProSites is a WordPress plugin so how can I use it without Wordpress?

This is also confusing:

but it's a great tool so you might as well take advantage of the integration features
    Are those integration features of ProSites or WHMCS?

I think I understand this better:

This is essentially Pro Sites for WHMCS
    I'm starting to figure out that WHMCS is like ProSites for CPanel in that it allows you to provision an entire hosting account with email, etc., completely independent of WordPress, whereas a single install of ProSites must reside on a single host and it only works on a WordPress MultiSite installations.

I don't understand this point:

Integrates your WHMCS portal (billing, support, etc.) into WordPress to make it seamless for clients.
    How is that any different than WHMCS MU Provisioning?

• Gabe

Hello, I'll try to clarify:

Me:

If you use WHMCS, you can still use Pro Sites if you don't want to integrate it with your WordPress install

You:

ProSites is a WordPress plugin so how can I use it without Wordpress?

You need WordPress--I apologize if I didn't make that clear. I meant you can still use Pro Sites and WHMCS if you decide not to integrate WHMCS with your WordPress install.

If you use WHMCS on your server, you can still use Pro Sites to sell websites to clients (though I'm not sure why you'd want to). You don't have to integrate WHMCS with WordPress if you don't want, you can use them separately. For example: use Pro Sites to sell websites and use WHMCS to manage support tickets, documentation, sell domains, etc. They just won't be integrated.

Me:

but it's a great tool so you might as well take advantage of the integration features

You:

Are those integration features of ProSites or WHMCS?

The integration features are for WHMCS. WHMCS is naturally separate from WordPress unless you use the WPMU DEV plugins to integrate them. Pro Sites is a WordPress plugin, so it necessarily integrates with WordPress.

Me:

Integrates your WHMCS portal (billing, support, etc.) into WordPress to make it seamless for clients.

You:

How is that any different than WHMCS MU Provisioning?

WHMCS MU Provisioning allows you to sell WHMCS services via WordPress. If you do this, your admin/support/account functions will still be via the WHMCS portal. The WHMCS WP Integration plugin lets you integrate your portal into WordPress as well. This means support and admin functions can be handled via the WordPress dashboard rather than through a separate WHMCS portal. It makes things more streamlined. See the WHMCS WP Integration plugin page for examples and screenshots.

Great questions. I totally understand it takes some time to wrap your head around, it took me a while. I apologize if I didn't explain anything thoroughly enough, let us know if you have any more questions.

Hope this helps.

• Kimberly

Great Answer Gabe! Thanks!

To summarize, WHMCS is a solution that works out side of wordpress to provision sites. We just make it possible for you to integrate it with your WordPress install and provision subsites.

WHMCS has a WORLD of features and is usually desirable by many for it's billing options and optional domain name purchasing.

ProSites has decidedly less options but is still super feature rich! and it only requires the one WordPress installation, it does not need a separate service to maintain.

Hope this helps!

Kimberly