What's the difference....between Downloadable or Externally Linked products?

Under the video #13 for Digital products - and on the settings it talks about Downloadable or Externally Linked products.

What is the difference?

I have a document which I uploaded to the media files and used the URL in the product download.

What happens to the document in these two scenarios - the manual and videos are not clear.

1. It list a URL and there is an upload file button. (Do you just use one of these ie URL if the doc is already in the media folder?) or do you have to have both?

2. Please explain what the "Externally Linked products" means.

3. When are they meant to be used.

4. What format should the downloadable documents be in? (we use a lot of pdfs but market press doesn't seem to cater for those).

5. Where are externally linked products (eg on another site?) - and how is access restricted to it?

I have 5 downloads allowed. How does the download/external link work practically - for the user. Is either better?

We've tested paying for it and the payer gets the emails but the downloads don't happen.

Thank you.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Downloaded is downloaded via MarketPress. So they purchase, they get access as per your settings. This can be restricted to X amount of downloads from the settings page.

Externally linked products when set this overrides the purchase button with a link to this URL. So MarketPress has nothing more to do with it then. You might use this for an affiliate site, one where you link to Amazon products and collect commissions for example.

The download format can be anything your WordPress site supports. WordPress restricts mime types by default. In multisite you can edit these in the Network Admin area:

Admin --> Network --> Settings --> Network Settings

For single site a plugin like:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/mime-types-extended/

When using the download feature in MarketPress they would download via their account.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

• Karen

Timothy

thanks for the quick response.
    Please see: https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wpmu-issues-page/ to see screenshots and what is happening with a test purchase. Something is wrong.

Downloaded is downloaded via MarketPress. So they purchase, they get access as per your settings. This can be restricted to X amount of downloads from the settings page.

Got it - it seems set up correctly (I have just made backend access available if you want to check my setup.

Externally linked products when set this overrides the purchase button with a link to this URL.

this is the bit on the page I don't understand/isn't clear/needs more explanation (someone needs to make it far clearer).

Externally linked products when set this overrides the purchase button with a link to this URL. So MarketPress has nothing more to do with it then. You might use this for an affiliate site, one where you link to Amazon products and collect commissions for example.

So how do you get money if it takes over? You collect money from Amazon as their affiliate? So you are just listing their products on your site and they handle all the $ side? (PS This is NOT explained in the video anywhere or in the manual.)

Sorry what does this mean? what is a mime? Isn't word and pdf pretty typical types of documents people want to load up for selling? We have not been able to get it to work.

1. You don't know what type of document you have just bought as it doesn't tell you anywhere, so if you try and open with (eg IE, pdf or note - there doesn't seem to be word) you get html gobblydygook or an error message. The WP site will upload word or pdf with no issues. It is buying and rrying to open the document where the issue goes pear-shaped.

When using the download feature in MarketPress they would download via their account.

They do not have to sign up to buy things on my site. How does that work? If they do have an account -where does the document go? They just get the email with the link don't they - sorry but it is just more confusing.

Any WHY do I need ANOTHER plug-in when MarketPress is supposed to be so easy to use and NONE of this is mentioned in the videos.

Can you please help me set it up so it WORKS?

Thank you.

Surely this is meant to be easy???

WordPress restricts mime types by default.

• Karen

Timothy

I just looked at the plugin.

It does not help with .doc or .pdf files - so I am back at "Why won't MarketPress work with just a pdf or doc document or even one that is loaded on to a page on our site that opens fine ie this is the link to the document (which is the URL I put into the download space for the product:

File URL: https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/?attachment_id=1885

Here is the list:

Supports .ai, .aif. .aifc, .aiff, .asd, .au, .bcpio, .bin, .cab, .cdf, .chm, .cht, .cpio, .csh, .dcr, .dir, .dll, .dus, .dvi, .dwg, .dxf, .dxr, .eps, .es, .evy, .exe, .gpx, .gtar, .hdf, .hlp, .hqx, .imh, .latex, .man, .mbd, .mid, .midi. .mif, .nc, .nsc, .oda, .osm, .php, .phtml, .ps, .ptlk, .roff, .rtc, .sca, .sh, .shar, .shtml, .sit, .smp, .snd, .spl, .spr, .sprite, .sv4cpio, .sv4crc, .svg, .scgz, .t, .tbk, .tcl, .tex, .texi, .texinfo, .tr, .troff, .tsi, .tsp, .ustar, .vmd, .vmf, .vox, .xhtml, .xml, .z

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

MarketPress won't alter mime types, it depends on WordPress to handle that security.

PDF is however supported:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_allowed_mime_types

The download limit per purchase is set in:

Admin --> Products --> Store Settings

Then find the option for Maximum Downloads.

I looked at your screenshots but I'm not sure what you're saying is happening between clicking on that download link from the purchase screen and to when you hit that download limit.

As it's a PDF the default browser behaviour is probably to try and open it in the browser. You'd want to zip it up if you wish to force download first.

If you can make dummy download item free for me and give me direct link then I'll happily test.

Externally linked products when set this overrides the purchase button with a link to this URL.

this is the bit on the page I don't understand/isn't clear/needs more explanation (someone needs to make it far clearer).

I'm sorry but I'm not sure how that isn't clear. Could you please elaborate?

If you put a link in there it overrides the purchase button with the link. So the purchase button becomes the link. The button links to what you set there.

Hope that makes sense?

So how do you get money if it takes over? You collect money from Amazon as their affiliate? So you are just listing their products on your site and they handle all the $ side? (PS This is NOT explained in the video anywhere or in the manual.)

As I said, it's for you to use affiliate links. To link to a product elsewhere.

1. You don't know what type of document you have just bought as it doesn't tell you anywhere, so if you try and open with (eg IE, pdf or note - there doesn't seem to be word) you get html gobblydygook or an error message. The WP site will upload word or pdf with no issues. It is buying and rrying to open the document where the issue goes pear-shaped.

That's not something MarketPress controls. How your computer downloads and opens the files is handle by you and your computer.

They do not have to sign up to buy things on my site. How does that work? If they do have an account -where does the document go? They just get the email with the link don't they - sorry but it is just more confusing.

They still get an order link to track their order as you shown within your email. So they download from the link rather than having an account history. The link if you think about it is still like an account as it's unique to them.

Any WHY do I need ANOTHER plug-in when MarketPress is supposed to be so easy to use and NONE of this is mentioned in the videos.

As I said, WordPress restricts Mime Types for security reasons, that isn't MarketPress. The plugin extends those. That said, PDF is supported in WordPress (see link near beginning of post).

To learn more about mime types you can read up here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME_Type

• Karen

Timothy

Thanks.

PS I am not sure what a MIME is....I'll check wikipedia.

I was just chatting to someone who suggested zipping the file so I'll do that.
    **Please test for me and I am guessing free will still do all the process (just not Paypal).
    **Ready to try now.

I just zipped the file and used Upload URL and filled in the spaces. I left the old URL (from the previous document) in that space -why isn't it overwriting it? Should I delete that URL and put the new one in? (That isn't clear.) I have just done that - for some reason it left the old URL there.

I looked at your screenshots but I'm not sure what you're saying is happening between clicking on that download link from the purchase screen and to when you hit that download limit.

Sorry - I didn't have those to put in the doc. It just give error messages - a list of HTML if you open in IE, same in notepad and rubbish text if selecting pdf. As it doesn't tell you the document type you end up trying different ways to open it. No one is going to bother with all that hassle. If it is too difficult to use, they won't bother.

The orginal download url was : https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/?attachment_id=1885

What I don't understand is why - if it is just a page it is giving access to, and the document opens on that page of the site, is there a need to even pick a way to open the document? Why doesn't it just open for them when they click the link to the page ie 1885) That is what is puzzling me. Instead of having to zip it etc. Anyway....

The zipped File URL is https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/?attachment_id=2278

The zipped file Attachment Post URL is: https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/?attachment_id=2278

(what is the difference between the last two and which one do I use in the space for URL?)

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Hope you're well today, I've been taking a look at this and it appears your not using the correct link for the download.

The link your using is the attachment link, where you need to use the path to the file, which in this case is https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/downloads/2014/02/Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.pdf

If you use that instead, does this work correctly for you? Please advise, I'm here to help :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Thanks for coming to the rescue.

I will try that address, but pray tell, why isn't it simple to use. I (a) just uploaded the pdf/zipped/whatever files and THE SYSTEM puts in the URL (ie I DON"T)...so WHY is it inputting an INCORRECT URL?????

How does the newbie - like me - know WHAT to put in that URL space - esp when it is autofilled when you upload something??

***TO INCLUDE IN THE MANUAL PLEASE*** (as there is nothing that even mentions it)

...AND HOW TO DO I FIND/LOCATE THE RELEVANT URL FOR FUTURE DOCUMENTS???
    ...and are PDF and WORD DOCS OK to USE or do you have toZ I
    We have tested this until we are OFF our tree with FRUSTRATION.

Surely it should be straightforward....?

ALSO how does the person downloading it know WHAT TYPE OF FILE THEY HAVE DOWNLOADED SO THEY KNOW WHAT TO OPEN IT WITH?

PROBLEM: If you don't know you try a few and GUESS WHAT? you run into the download limit which I have set at 5.

Please answer each Q as I need to know.

Thanks.

• Karen

Jack

As I went to put your suggested URL in I saw I had this:

https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.pdf

If I compare that with yours:
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/downloads/2014/02/Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.

Why is one uploads and the other is downloads (one has wp-content as well).

Why am I having to hunt around for the right URL? - why isn't the system AUTOMATICALLY sorting out the right one.

Why -on earth - is it left to human input?

I JUST DON"T GET WPMU logic for ANY plug-in!

• Karen

Jack

I just tried the pdf with the new URL you suggested.

I "purchase" it for $0 and it takes me all the way thru to check on the order.

It now (progress) tells me it is pdf file and so I click 'Save file" into a folder.

It shows me it is a pdf file - but it - UNLIKE EVERY OTHER PDF document I have it will NOT open it.

"Can't open this file. There's a problem with the file format.

Given this EXACT pdf document is ON MY SYSTEM and I CAN open it - something obviously is happening to the pdf during the upload process.

Any suggestions to fix?

• Karen

I just tried downloading and opening it (instead of saving) and I get the SAME message about "Can't open this file. There's a problem with the file format."

Next?

PS Interesting. Out of curiosity, I just typed in https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/downloads/ and you can see the entire list of downloads (no access thankfully) but as I have share buttons at the bottom of all I tried to "share" and sent myself and email. Initially the screen when weird with a list of strange symbols in a box - I am not sure what that was about. ..but no email has turned up either. Someone might want to check that out (not urgent but seems odd).

• Karen

Another aside:

I just (again out of curiousity) typed in

https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/

and I can see EVERYTHING I HAVE UPLOADED TO MY SITE.

Surely that is a security issue?

This is what I get in the list:
    Index of /wp-content/uploads/2014/01

Parent Directory
    015Best-150x150.jpg
    015Best-200x150.jpg
    015Best-300x175.jpg
    015Best-600x350.jpg
    015Best.jpg
    016-150x150.jpg
    016-200x150.jpg
    016-300x175.jpg
    016-600x350.jpg
    016-Cropped-for-newsletter2-150x150.jpg
    016-Cropped-for-newsletter2-200x150.jpg
    016-Cropped-for-newsletter2-300x175.jpg
    016-Cropped-for-newsletter2.jpg
    016-Cropped-for-newsletter4-150x88.jpg
    016-Cropped-for-newsletter4-200x88.jpg
    016-Cropped-for-newsletter4-300x60.jpg
    016-Cropped-for-newsletter4.jpg
    016.jpg
    0161-150x150.jpg
    0161-200x150.jpg
    0161-300x175.jpg
    0161-600x350.jpg
    0161.jpg
    130912-TPARC-Favicon-Courses-150x150.jpg
    130912-TPARC-Favicon-Courses-200x150.jpg
    130912-TPARC-Favicon-Courses.jpg
    130912-TPARC-Favicon-Recruit-150x150.jpg
    130912-TPARC-Favicon-Recruit-200x150.jpg
    130912-TPARC-Favicon-Recruit.jpg
    130913-Favicon_Recruit.ico
    140120-PAJ-Logo-Raised-text-1024x765.jpg
    140120-PAJ-Logo-Raised-text-150x150.jpg
    140120-PAJ-Logo-Raised-text-200x150.jpg
    140120-PAJ-Logo-Raised-text-300x224.jpg
    140120-PAJ-Logo-Raised-text-600x448.jpg
    140120-PAJ-Logo-Raised-text.jpg
    Good-clear-shot-of-candidate-working-on-notes-150x150.jpg
    Good-clear-shot-of-candidate-working-on-notes-200x150.jpg
    Good-clear-shot-of-candidate-working-on-notes-225x300.jpg
    Good-clear-shot-of-candidate-working-on-notes-600x800.jpg
    Good-clear-shot-of-candidate-working-on-notes.jpg
    Public_Affairs_Jobs-MP4-video-of-logo-6.77MB.mp4

Apache Server at http://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au Port 443

Guess what - I can actually get access to EVERYTHING I HAVE UPLOADED the following (for FREE!!!!)

https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.pdf...and it OPENS beautifully.

Isn't this a MAJOR HOLE in the SITE?????

It means I can go to any WP site and type in wp-content/uploads and see all their uploads? Surely that can't be right?

On https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/
    I get all versions of the document (see bottom of this list):

Index of /wp-content/uploads/2014/03

Parent Directory
    140306-Susan-Lang-Lemckert-Photo-150x150.jpg
    140306-Susan-Lang-Lemckert-Photo-200x150.jpg
    140306-Susan-Lang-Lemckert-Photo-240x300.jpg
    140306-Susan-Lang-Lemckert-Photo-600x747.jpg
    140306-Susan-Lang-Lemckert-Photo.jpg
    140328-Issues-Trying-to-purchase-a-downloadable-item.pdf
    2013-CV-Assessments-..pdf
    2014-CV-Tips-and-Hints.pdf
    2014-Candidate-Questionnaire.docx
    Covers-of-Magazines-1024x768.jpg
    Covers-of-Magazines-150x150.jpg
    Covers-of-Magazines-200x150.jpg
    Covers-of-Magazines-300x225.jpg
    Covers-of-Magazines-600x450.jpg
    Covers-of-Magazines.jpg
    PRIA-Award-dinner-2005-1024x768.jpg
    PRIA-Award-dinner-2005-150x150.jpg
    PRIA-Award-dinner-2005-200x150.jpg
    PRIA-Award-dinner-2005-300x225.jpg
    PRIA-Award-dinner-2005-600x450.jpg
    PRIA-Award-dinner-2005.jpg
    Profile1-Geelong-St-Door-Handle-left-150x150.png
    Profile1-Geelong-St-Door-Handle-left-180x150.png
    Profile1-Geelong-St-Door-Handle-left.png
    Shorlisting-Report-extract-150x150.png
    Shorlisting-Report-extract-200x150.png
    Shorlisting-Report-extract-300x213.png
    Shorlisting-Report-extract-600x426.png
    Shorlisting-Report-extract.png
    Shortlisting-Report-1-page-150x150.png
    Shortlisting-Report-1-page-200x150.png
    Shortlisting-Report-1-page-228x300.png
    Shortlisting-Report-1-page.png
    Shortlisting-Report-2-pages-150x150.png
    Shortlisting-Report-2-pages-200x150.png
    Shortlisting-Report-2-pages-300x163.png
    Shortlisting-Report-2-pages-600x326.png
    Shortlisting-Report-2-pages.png
    Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.pdf
    Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.zip
    Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book1.zip
    Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book2.zip
    Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book3.zip

Am I correct in thinking something is massively wrong here and there is not protection from someone just accessing all my documents and images via uploads???

Thanks for your views.

• Karen

Jack

I have now got two pdf documents for Writing a Winning CV - one is the system generated URl

Under Product Download.
    File URL:
    There is a space that is AUTOFILLED - or you can upload the file.
    (IF YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO ENTER SOME OTHER EG DOWNLOAD URL WHY DOESN'T IT DO IT FOR YOU???)

When you decide to upload via the Media Library you get upload a product file dialogue box.

Your choices for uploading are three tabs ie:
    From Computer/From URL/From Media
    I have been using them from the Media Library (but also uploading them directly from my computer) ..it gives you the list to select the document you want.

You click on Show and it will give you all the detail including LINK URL.
    This is AUTOFILLED!!!!!

Underneath that URL it says:
    None/File URL/Attachment Post URL
    "Enter a link URL or click above for presets."

If you are not meant to follow this process - THEN WHAT ARE YOU MEANT TO DO AND WHY ISN'T IT CLEAR AND EASY AND WHY DOES IT LEAD YOU THROUGH THAT PROCESS ?????

See why I am confused?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.pdf

https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/downloads/2014/02/Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.

wp-content/uploads is the default upload locations on all WordPress sites, /downloads is the masked directory created by Membership.

The issue with being able to access wp-content id directory browsing, take a look at this great article here http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/disable-directory-browsing-wordpress/ :slight_smile:

For the issue with the URL,s when you add a product, once it's uploaded click "File URL" and then insert the URL (screenshot attached).

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

I tried that File URL you suggested - but that is the ISSUE. . (see my post repeated below in the quotes)

This is what it gives me (which is not a download file)

I went through all that above ie:

Jack

As I went to put your suggested URL in I saw I had this:

Why am I having to hunt around for the right URL? - why isn't the system AUTOMATICALLY sorting out the right one.

Why -on earth - is it left to human input?

I JUST DON"T GET WPMU logic for ANY plug-in!

So...my question is WHAT DO I USE - if I use File URL you tell me I am using the wrong URL and I need the one that says DOWNLOADS in it - but where are the directions to hold of THE RIGHT URL.

Thank you.

Also with the other link - is that going to stop Simple Site Maps from working? Thanks.

Karen

• Karen

Jack

I just went into the UPLOAD button for the pdf version and opened Media Library and "Show" on the right hand side to see the URL.

I noticed that your screenshot has a few things mine doesn't (so where is your screenshot from?)

I do NOT have an alternative text box.
    I do NOT have alignment or size areas.

I am in Upload a Product File (from the Product/Product Download area within a new Product when you are indicating the product that is going to be sold) - and when I go to the Media Libary to find the file and click on show - I get a different screen.

Where is your screenshot from?

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Hope you're well today, the correct link is https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.pdf

The downloads link is your protected link for membership, that doesn't need to be used with MarketPress.

My screenshot is from products > add new > upload > media library > select content, you won't get the size areas or the alternative text box, as it's not an image, but a .pdf.

Can you setup a coupon so I can test the download please?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Not sure how to set up the coupon but I'll give it ago today. I have been testing using $0 - it works the same as a coupon (ie no cost involved).

Hope you're well today, the correct link is https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Write-a-Winning-CV-e-book.pdf

That's a relief - so I just use the File URL (once item is uploaded).
    But this is the URL I was using AND having issues with opening the document (as noted above).

Good luck.

• Karen

Jack

I tried that before. It doesn't work either.

Nothing worked.

It doesn't work.

It should be a simple exercise of filling in the blanks or uploading a file, not this amount of hassle.

I have lost all enthusiasm for sorting anything out with the site unfortunately which is why my responses have been slow. This is not my full-time job but it turned into one. The software should work and then you get on with other things. This never happens with WPMU Dev software.

• Karen

Jack - while you are in there (to save time) can you also look at this page:

https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/pao-community/members/ - it is mess where the gravatar's should be and there is random text appearing (from a spam post I think) under the Groups widget).

Instead of Avatar image it says "more info about buy facebook likes Genuinely particular grubby across..." target="_blank" href="https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/pao-community/groups/those-some-hints-for-buy-facebook-likes-and-world-wide-web"> " so it looks like someone has managed to hijack the page = security issue.

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Hope you're well today.

I've just tested and the pdf download seems to be working for me, I tried with the free product, entered my email, completed checkout, clicked the order tracking link, it showed me the link for the download, which is correct.

I clicked the download link and it downloaded the PDF correctly (screenshot attached).

On the gravtar issues, the gravatars that are showing are they ones that have been uploaded? With the link, I've checked that and that is a status/activity update, which any member can make, though it seems that particular user is a spam user.

You may be interested in our article here on how to stop BuddyPress spam https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/buddypress-spam/

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• be

Unclear here if you are giving to members through membership to restrict access but your store is viewable publicly without membership so believe you are using marketpress?
    Not to cloud the issue further but lets just confirm ( as above no one should be seeing your links that is a major issue)
    And your order should present like this when folks click on it..
    Should be add and purchase download..
    Let me know if you see or have done differently.
    see attached
    1 - add to marketpress download product..

• Karen

Be

Thanks for that.

I am using MarketPress.
    I have marketPress linked to courses (but none show - I checked the box to make it so, but it doesn't appear to me that you can book courses via MarketPress setup - but that is yet another issue) ...and I have electronic products to download which as we know is not working. (Someone has tested it yesterday but I am not sure who).

Yes I did ALL of that. EXACTLY. AS. I. FOLLOWED. IT. ALL. STEP. BY. STEP.

I uploaded the file (the pdf file with pdf extension) to our media library.
    I click on Upload.
    I find the file in the images library (it is already a pdf with pdf extension. It is NOT changed. I just click on it.)
    It tells me the file URL WHICH I COPY and add to the place it indicates.
    I PASTE the File URL to the indicated area.
    I SAVE.
    We test. IT DOES NOT WORK.
    I have done nothing except what the screens ask for.

It SHOULD be simple.
    It is NOT WORKING.

PC - It is my finance person testing it - not an IT person. We are just ordinary NON-IT people here going thru hell trying to get something simple work.

If it isn't clear to us I hate to think who else is tearing their hair out.

See pdf on our page: https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wpmu-issues-page/ (hidden page so you won't find it on the site). Under 140416 (ie today's date) you will see the screenshots we are getting.

I am at a loss on what else to do.

I will also give access for someone to check it out on our site.

Thank you.

• PC

Hello there Karen,

I see that you are uploading the product incorrectly. You are providing the attachment link instead of uploading the product.

So the steps should be as below :

1: Click on Upload file

2: Select the file from your computer or click on Media library and select an already uploaded file.

3: Publish the product.

I did a test checkout and it works perfectly fine. Can you test with the test product I have just created ?

Cheers, PC

• Karen

PC

I am REALLY CONFUSED.

****(But PS see below where I think I worked out what the issue is.....but I have left the discussion in so you can see it.)****

I did steps 1, 2, 3 EXACTLY !!!!!!!

I followed the steps EXACTLY....I DO Upload the media file. I am not sure if it is within the limit....as it uploads, I presume that it is.

I can try your product, but why won't the pdf documents I load up work? (which are going to be various sizes and how do you know what limit (page-wise)?

OK ...more info...

When I UPLOAD the media file, the "File URL" area is BLANK.

After UPLOADING the media file it gives you three tabs UNDER the uploaded file - one of which says "File URL" - which I copied (and was told to copy - see above) into the File URL.

WHAT do you put in the "File URL" slot???

You would think that by hitting UPLOAD, the SYSTEM would fill whatever fields need to be filled. But no when I UPLOAD...nothing is automatically entered into the field.

The process is crap. Sorry but it is. This should be a simple step to do. (or simple instructions are missing).

Did you see all the products I produced with different ways of setting them up? None of them worked!

PC I just tested yours and it works....thank you...BUT I am still clueless about what I am doing wrong.

I will try to upload another pdf and try it. OK that works. Here is what I did...

1. I create a new product
    2, I click on Upload and find the pdf document and click on "SHOW" and then in "
    INSERT INTO POST" and it AUTOMATICALLY enters the File URL as this:
    (This is what I have been told is WRONG - WHY???? I am NOT entering it now. THEY SYSTEM IS!!!!!
    4. Then I update the post.

The only think I can think of - is whether I didn't see the Insert into Post button at the bottom and was just using seeing the three boxes underneath the URL AFTER uploading the document???? Would that cause all the issues I am having??? In that case shouldn't that Insert into Post button be coloured (blue like the Save buttons) so you can see it????

That is the only thing I can think I might have done wrong.

Can you check that for me please, and advise? Thanks.

OK I just went back and tested the other ones ....

1. The first document the one called test using system-generated URL from an uploaded document").
    2. The second document (Called Jack's URL) that test still doesn't work
    3. Test using ID in URL - doesn't work (says you are trying to open the doc name which is application/octet-stream (16.3 KB) and asks how you want to open/save it.

The first one in the list does.

Test Product #3 - Is a 2MB pdf document.
    Did as above and made sure I Insert into Post.
    It works.

I think I AM THE ISSUE...It isn't clear that you have to scroll down to the Insert into Post.

It looks like you have to copy the URL just underneath the URL listed when you "show" the document.

I am not 100% sure that I DIDN'T add the Insert into Post...but that is the only thing I can isolate the problem to (In which case it is my error but, if that is the case, then it needs to be far clearer for we non-IT folk that you have to click on that button.

FYI. Please let Jack know as well.

PS Instructions above - you can see how this issue is NOT covered in Step 2 or step 3...What is missing (in the manuals and also in advice provided to users) are ALL the exact steps.

Given the issues of things not working can be traced back to just one box being ticked or not ticked, unless it is shown to you - and a screenshot of that box with an arrow beside it would have made it clear what I WAS/ WAS NOT doing - you cannot tell (as per this case) what you are doing wrong. No manual covers it either.

Thanks for your help with this one.

I will try other product listings, but I am pretty sure that is the issue.

Thanks if you can confirm it and then I will remove all the test products.

Thanks again for persevering with it.

regards,
    Karen

• PC

Hey there Karen,

Thanks for posting back and letting us know that "Insert to post" was getting missed :slight_smile:

PC
    Orders are coming from pcatinsub.com.

I tried to find it but can't - can you please remove it and let me know where it is.

That is due to the fact that I tried and order from your account and it saved my email address in the billing information.

You can update that here : https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wp-admin/profile.php under Shipping info field.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Karen,

I was able to have a look at your site, and it looks like that address is there now, both in your shipping profile, as well as in the Store Admin email field.

However, when I tried ordering the test product (Product test for Lisa - Test #1 (new)) from your site, I didn't get an email notification. I even tried using the Check Email plugin you have installed on your site, and I couldn't get an email to come my way (I tried 3 different addresses).

Could you confirm this on your end please?

Regards,
    Michael

• Karen

Michael

The recruitment@ email is now showing. Yeah.

The email bit is a worry.
    I just cannot believe how difficult it is to get any WPMU plugin to do what all the marketing says it will do.

I have no idea why the email is not working. I just checked and I am not getting an email either! What is going wrong????
    We were testing MarketPress against WooCommerce yesterday and I just clicked from the Cart page to see if we could download. I didn't

This is where I checked that the download was available from - the Cart page - ie:

Cart
    Review Cart»Shipping»Checkout»Confirm»Order Complete

Thank you for your order!

We appreciate your business, and please come back often to check out our new products.

You may track the latest status of your order(s) here:
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/store/order-status/30283047734f/

Please advise how to fix this crap. Thanks.

• Karen

Michael

This is interesting - I just noticed that I AM getting emails from this email:
    profetb3@host383.hostmonster.com which is coming from my HostMonster account - so that end must be working.

This would indicate that the WPMU plug-in is not sending emails as Hostmonster is. FYI.

***This is the body of the email from the email above:***

A new order (9292de021b55) was created in your store:

Order Information:
    Items:
    Writing a Winning CV - PDF file test for WPMU: 1 * 0.00 = 0.00 AUD
    Download: https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/store/products/writing-a-winning-cv-pdf-file-test-for-wpmu/?orderid=9292de021b55

Order Total: 0.00 AUDSKU

Shipping Information:
    No shipping required for this order.
    Special Instructions: Test of Jack's URL location.

Email: subscriptions@publicaffairs.com.au

Payment Information:
    Payment Method: Manual Checkout
    Payment Type: N/A - Free order
    Transaction ID: N/A
    Payment Total: 0.00 AUD

Your payment for this order is complete.

You can manage this order here: https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=product&page=marketpress-orders&order_id=2287

• createco

Downloadable Products (&URL) are for digital files you sell from YOUR MARKETPRESS SITE.

External Products (&URL) are for digital files you sell from ANOTHER ECOMMERCE STORE...so if you have an apparel shop that is built separate bc u need more than one variation or a web-to-print portal or something...u can keep a constant look and feel to your ecommerce store by linking to the external store from marketpress.

Hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

Best,
    Brandon

• Karen

Ari

It is ALL to do with the SAME ISSUE - ie getting the downloadable products to WORK in MarketPress.

1. The Usage documentation was very unclear - so I asked questions that were answered.

The trouble is that the post from Jack (20:25 GMT 29th March 2014) was incorrect. He pointed to the File URL INSTEAD of the INSERT IN POST button which is what should have been pointed out to me (and which I had to discover on my own.) That fixed the problem with documents being uploaded and available.

2. Then PC tested some stuff and his email was still in there and I couldn't remove it or overwrite it - so he had to fix it. Done.

All the while we were testing downloads by using the Cart link after "payment" but not realising that the email aspect to buyers was NOT working.

3. Michael then tested the downloads and tells me that the emails (which tell you the link to the downloaded document) are NOT WORKING.

I then checked and tested again and found the same thing.

So currently it is that the EMAILS that should go to the people who ORDER and PAY for the product ARE NOT GETTING IT.

I can't help if the issues morph into different areas along the way. It is better they are all in the one thread rather than having to cross -refer to three + separate threads when it is all RELATED to the SAME ISSUE.

It is ALL about getting the damn downloads WORKING!

I hope that clarifies.

Now can someone please advise WHY the EMAILS are NOT WORKING when they were last week and the ONLY THING I have done differently is update all the plugins as they appeared in the WPMU Dashboard?

There is something wrong and Check Emails plugin (as noted by Michael) is NOT working. Hostmonster was sending me order emails as at 16 April (which was the last major test we did before I upgraded this week.

BUT no one who is ordering is getting THEIR NOTIFICATION EMAIL.

I can't find where to check on the email aspect of the plugin.

HOW DO I CHECK THE EMAIL ISSUE PLEASE?

Thanks.
    Karen

• be

Re order insert just going back to the issue "insert into post" - this is not normal behaviour = and just wonder if its somehow being used by appointments + which by default overrides the download process in marketpress products..

Appointment Marketpress addon..

How does integration with MarketPress work? Are there any special considerations?
      If you select Integrate with MarketPress which is visible after Payment Required is set as Yes, any MarketPress product page having Appointments+ shortcodes will be regarded as an "Appointment Product Page". Those pages are automatically modified and you are not supposed to be doing anything special. For your information, here is how the integration works:
      An Appointment will be regarded as a digital product, therefore shipping information is not asked if ordered alone.
      Like any other digital product, quantity of an appointment is always fixed to 1, but client can add as many appointments as he wishes with different variations, that is, with different date and time.
      Download link that is normally added to confirmation email for digital product orders is removed.

• Karen

Be

Thanks for weighing in.

The Insert in Post is for inserting downloadable products (ie pdfs). It was mucking around with File URLs that was off track. I should have just been pointed to Insert in Post and the document would have been available.

it isn't anything (well this thread anyway) to do with Appointments+.

I am just trying to get e-publications available and working for people to buy - but that is also proving a headache.

• Karen

Be

I think you have to click on Upload, select the file you want and then Click Insert into Post.

That seems to be the whole process.

The furphy was telling me to copy the File URL (as the Product page has a blank File URL space next to the Upload button) and you think you have to copy somethere there BUT the system should do it automatically when you Insert to Post.

Hopefully a MANUAL WRITER will pick this up and make it clear to others.

I just don't understand why all those URLs are there - the order of the information is wrong to me. But heck, what would I know?

Hope that helps, be.

regards,
    Karen

• Dharmendra

Hello Karen,

Thanks for your reply!

I have been working on this thread to understand the issue.

For Membership with buddypress plugin I found the following threads perhaps that helps:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-buddypress-registration-not-working-together

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/buddypress-membership

I think your original issue was related to marketpress plugin so, could you please try to post different issues as separate threads and not as a continuation of one thread...

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Please advise,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.