What's the optimal configuration for a large WPMU network?

I’d like to enquire about the optimal configuration of a large multi-site network.

Could you please clarify:

– Can each multi-site have its own cPanel account?

– What is the recommended configuration for WPMU on Apache, where can I find tips on optimising performance etc?

Additionally, we’re looking for somebody to set up a clustered infrastructure (strictly for WPMU), i.e. 3 virtual servers and two database servers? Who could you recommend for this (paid) work?

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

Define “large”. Approximate users? Approximate blogs?

Can each multi-site have its own cPanel account?

Assuming you’re talking about each wordpress multisite *installation*, yes. Each *blog* can not.

What is the recommended configuration for WPMU on Apache, where can I find tips on optimising performance etc?

This will depend on the number of users & blogs as well as your available system resources (ram + cpus + caching capabilities).

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Greetings wiredgorilla,

Thanks for being a WPMUDEV member and for posting on the forums !

Looks like Shawn has given you a nice advice here. I would though like to add a couple of things to it.

Can each multi-site have its own cPanel account?

What are you trying to implement here ? Do you want to have each site to have their own control panel for the sites they own ? Are you willing to have your own hosting company ?

If yes, the below plugins might come handy

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/whmcs-multisite-provisioning/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/whmcs-wordpress-integration/

Please elaborate more on this !

What is the recommended configuration for WPMU on Apache, where can I find tips on optimising performance etc?

Shawn is right on this one too, it all depends on the number of users, the traffic on your website etc.

There is a post on optimization of high traffic sites here

Additionally, we’re looking for somebody to set up a clustered infrastructure (strictly for WPMU), i.e. 3 virtual servers and two database servers? Who could you recommend for this (paid) work?

You can post your requirement at WPMU Jobs here and get someone on it right this minute.

Please advise !

Cheers

PC

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

If you want optimal then forget services you don’t need, so don’t use cPanel. Its great but its another process or more running to control the server.

So don’t run things which are not absolutely needed.

Getting a decent system admin you get you setup would be the way to go.

I think http://edublogs.org/ is running on 5 servers (last time I checked with Mohanjith), thats 2 for DB and 3 for web and currently powers approx. 1.3 million blogs.

Take care.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

No worries :slight_smile:

I do really love cPanel, don’t get me wrong. But if a site was to be huge then I’d drop it to save on the extra server over heads rather than keep throwing hardware unless absolutely needed.

Thanks for the kind words on EduBlogs :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.