When a member upgrades their access level it does not completely cancel the old level

When a member upgrades from a one paid level to another, it does not drop the previous level which may have negative rules.

As a result, the member encounters issues preventing them from accessing the upgraded content.

I have enabled support staff access and I'm hoping you can help me resolve this as we are going to be at an 8 day conference starting this Friday and expect to enroll at least 80+ new members.

Thanks!

Vinod Dalvi

Hi @sdinvestor2k,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having, thanks for granting us support access.

I checked your multisite and found you have many subsites in it.

Could you please tell me in which particular site you are having the problem?

Also please tell me a bit more information about the issue so that it can be reproduces and fixed.

What content can't they access on upgrading from which subscription plan to which plan?

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

I've just checked your site and I believe this is related to the negative rules, as with the new release 3.5.1.5, a change was made, from the usage page.

Since version 3.5.1.5, content is now protected by default unless access is specifically granted. Please be sure to adjust, if necessary, the positive rules in your access levels accordingly.

I believe if you switched to version 3.5.1.4 it would then work correctly.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

SD2k

@Vinod Dalvi
    @Jack Kitterhing
    @Tyler Postle

I was successful in downgrading to 3.5.1.4 but it did not resolve my issue and I found another issue.

So at issue is this:

When a member upgrades it does not drop the old "Access Level"
    It does drop the old "Subscription" but then the user shows access levels for both the old subscription and the new subscription.

Additionally, We have user-roles associated with each membership level all based on the WP "Author" level. This does not upgrade or change at all and we have several programs associated with the user-role of the member.

I have re-initiated Support Access and I'm hoping we can find a solution for this. When you visit our back-end (multi-site) you will find we have incorporated a very large number of plugins and have successfully overcome every conflict we have found so I'm confident we can solve this as well.

Time is of the essence here as we are going to start a huge push for new members starting this weekend and over the next 10 days. At this point we can solve every member level conflict manually so this won't prevent us from moving forward but we would like to limit the amount of upgrades we have to fix manually

You guys are awesome and have been an incredible asset to our success. I just wanted to acknowledge that and thank you for your help in advance.

I look forward to your thoughts, comments and assistance!

sd...

SD2k

Corrections in bold...

@Vinod Dalvi
    @Jack Kitterhing
    @Tyler Postle

I was successful in downgrading to 3.5.1.4 but it did not resolve my issue and I found another issue.

So at issue is this:

When a member upgrades it does not drop the old "Access Level"
    It does drop the old "Subscription" but then the user shows both access levels for the old subscription and the new subscription.

Additionally, We have user-roles associated with each membership level all based on the WP "Author" level. This does not upgrade or change at all and we have several programs associated with the user-role of the member. So the core user-role stays stuck at their initial user-role.

I have re-initiated Support Access and I'm hoping we can find a solution for this. When you visit our back-end (multi-site) you will find we have incorporated a very large number of plugins and so far we have successfully overcome every conflict we have found so I'm confident we can solve this as well.

Time is of the essence here as we are going to start a huge push for new members starting this weekend and over the next 10 days. At this point we can solve every member level conflict manually so this won't prevent us from moving forward but we would like to limit the amount of upgrades we have to fix manually

You guys are awesome and have been an incredible asset to our success. I just wanted to acknowledge that and thank you for your help in advance.

I look forward to your thoughts, comments and assistance!

sd...

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today, I've done some testing and can confirm the role isn't changed on the downgrade or upgrade.

I've reported that as a confirmed bug, this is when using advanced roles and choosing a specific WP Role for that access level.

The access level not deactivating on downgrade/plan switch I can't replicate, I noticed on your site you are using W3 Total cache, could you network deactivate that and set your .htaccess back to default please and see if that still happens?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Saurabh

Hi @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you are well today.

The membership plugin just uses the standard WordPress functions to change user roles. These functions don't allow a user to have more than one role, at a time.

So, while discussing this with @Jack Kitterhing, I was a bit perplexed with users' having two roles at the same time.

Would you know of any plugin that you have there that manages User roles or adds more than one user role (thereby changing the default WordPress behaviour)? It could a behind the scene feature, as well.

Unfortunately, the support access has expired, so I couldn't check it myself. Could you extend it, so I may have a look, myself?

Meanwhile, I'll check with the developer if taking such modified behaviour into account is a good strategy.

Thank you for your patience.

Best

Saurabh

SD2k

Thank you @Saurabh Shukla,

Sorry for the delay in my reply, I have been away on a working vacation

As for the core WP User Roles. When a subscriber joins at any level we assign a default user-role to the new member for that level.

When the member upgrades, the default user-role from their initial subscription does not change to the new default user-role. It's not adding a second user-role it just doesn't change.

@Jack Kitterhing,

Thanks for looking into this for me. I did as you suggested but I'm still getting the same results. On an upgrade it keeps the old subscription level and the old access level. I'm still downgraded to 3.5.1.4 and I have cleared my cache's on my server, as well as both of my CDN.s. What I have noticed is it only causes problems when a lower level has negative rules. I'm currently set up to receive notifications upon upgrades so I'm handling any users manually. We're now up to about 60 members right now but we expect that to double over the next two weeks. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks for all your help.

SD

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today, thanks for your patience here.

I have confirmed that this is a bug, the code includes the roles and to update the associated roles when upgrading, but the role isn't changed from subscriber to author for example.

I've notified the developer about the issue.

This happens with all Memberships that I tested from 3.5 and up, on single and multisite installs.

Thanks for your patience here.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

SD2k

Thanks Jack, no worries. We are getting real close to the hard launch of our site and getting real excited...

I'm not sure what I did but I fixed the issue. I wish I could explain everything I did to get it fixed but I think it's in part to a couple of the other plugins I'm integrating into the site.

Once I can take a step back I'll spend some time walking through all of the little things I've done here and there to see if I can find what I did.

I spent a lot of time cleaning out my database and between user-role-editor and admin-menu plugin I have taken things to another level.

Now the sad news... I really want/need Pro Sites to work with Membership on the main site. I have got to make it work and find a solution or I may need to switch over to one that does and that's not something I'm interested in doing if I don't have to. It seems to me there has to be a way to make it work...

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question!

Is the role issue still happening after your last reply?

Now the sad news... I really want/need Pro Sites to work with Membership on the main site. I have got to make it work and find a solution or I may need to switch over to one that does and that's not something I'm interested in doing if I don't have to. It seems to me there has to be a way to make it work...

Pro Sites will work work on the main site with Membership, but you'd need to not set the Membership registration page and then direct them to the subscriptions page to pick a subscription or even manually assign one on signup, if your using Pro sites and it's own sign up (wp-signup.php).

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today!

What if it is installed and setup on the main site and WE manually assign them a pro-site level?

Could that work? At least for the time being? We already have members signing up for our site. We have gone through two soft launches and we have our beta testing team if you will.

That will certainly work without any issues at all! The only thing of course you wouldn't have is auto charging them for the Pro sites subscription. But if that's ok, that would be the best workaround currently.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

SD2k

One more situation

In the Membership General Options "Default subscription for registered users"

There is a dropdown box and a check box.

If I fill in the dropdown do I need to check the box?

This is a little confusing.

I have a subscription I created for registered users called "Gawker" with an associated user-role and access level.

Why does it say (...which does not have any access level.)?

It looks like you can do one or the other or both.

It's confusing, thank you!

SD2k

Just found another glitch.

I have opened back-end access so you can take a look at my setup again. I have some access levels set so that they can only create so many groups. Those that I have defined a number to it says 'you don't have permission to create groups' but if I clear the field and leave it blank it works OK.

Going to bed now. nuf digging around for one night...

Thanks everyone

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question!

If their 'membership' subscription ends, would we have to manually cut access to their sub-site, or can they be linked together?? Hmmm

If their membership ends and you've manually assigned a Pro site level, you would need to remove the pro site level manually, as they have no direct integration.

In the Membership General Options "Default subscription for registered users"

There is a dropdown box and a check box.

If I fill in the dropdown do I need to check the box?

This is a little confusing.

I have a subscription I created for registered users called "Gawker" with an associated user-role and access level.

Why does it say (...which does not have any access level.)?

It looks like you can do one or the other or both.

It's confusing, thank you!

You should check that check box, if you want the default subscription applied to the user, though I would recommend not doing that, if they are signing up for their own subscription.

If I wanted to re-design the popup modal for registration, what file would I need to play with?

Technically, none, as it can be done with css. But the pop up registration form is in, but if you want to modify the code directly, it's in membership > classes > Membership > Render > Page > Registration > Popup.php

I have opened back-end access so you can take a look at my setup again. I have some access levels set so that they can only create so many groups. Those that I have defined a number to it says 'you don't have permission to create groups' but if I clear the field and leave it blank it works OK.

Is this on all access levels, or certain access levels, also could you try disabling the cache and see if that works then, in case this is effecting it, as the actual settings look good.

Thanks for your patience here!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

SD2k

Hey @Jack Kitterhing Thank you for your though-out replies...

You should check that check box, if you want the default subscription applied to the user, though I would recommend not doing that, if they are signing up for their own subscription.

I want to have it setup so visitors can register on the site without going through the membership joining process. What I was also trying to understand is why does it say

(...which does not have any access level.)?

How do you have a subscription without an access level? Still a little confused by that one.

it's in membership > classes > Membership > Render > Page > Registration > Popup.php

Perfect, thanks!

Is this on all access levels, or certain access levels,

Most access levels have a set amount of groups you can create. We only have two levels where it will be unlimited. I will test it with cache off and let you know. I'm leery to disable it since I have it optimized pretty nicely. If you visit our site and you're not logged in, the site screams!

Here's a new one for you. I'm not as good with JS as I would like to be but I need to turn off qtips. Take a look at this page and hover over the avatars!
    http://seemespace.com/architects/

It's making me freakin nutz!

I found this article on WPMUdev
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/daily-tip-add-a-custom-javascript-editor-to-wordpress/ and installed the plugin.

I also found this code (see attached image) but it's giving me errors and I don't know what I'm missing. I'm sure there needs to be more to the code but it's how I found it in a forum where all the members said it worked.

This might be outside of your support but can you help?

Thanks!

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/daily-tip-add-a-custom-javascript-editor-to-wordpress/

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

How do you have a subscription without an access level? Still a little confused by that one.

Sorry about the confusion there, what it means is a user that doesn't have a access level, not the subscription not having a access level

So if you don't want them to go through picking a membership, make sure that box is checked and make sure the subscription does have a access level.

Most access levels have a set amount of groups you can create. We only have two levels where it will be unlimited. I will test it with cache off and let you know. I'm leery to disable it since I have it optimized pretty nicely. If you visit our site and you're not logged in, the site screams!

It was blazingly quick! Sure, any issues with that let us know.

Here's a new one for you. I'm not as good with JS as I would like to be but I need to turn off qtips. Take a look at this page and hover over the avatars!
    http://seemespace.com/architects/

It's making me freakin nutz!

I found this article on WPMUdev
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/daily-tip-add-a-custom-javascript-editor-to-wordpress/ and installed the plugin.

I also found this code (see attached image) but it's giving me errors and I don't know what I'm missing. I'm sure there needs to be more to the code but it's how I found it in a forum where all the members said it worked.

This might be outside of your support but can you help?

Sure of course! I'll need direct access to whichever file handles those, is that part of your theme or a plugin? I'm here to help.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

SD2k

Hey Jack, Thanks for everything.

Right now I'm doing some cleaning up and optimizing so I hope to find the issue before doing anything more drastic.

Just came out of a complete site crash due to a permissions instruction error hat wouldn't let me delete or update folders through cpanel or updates. Was in part due to w3tc instruction set permissions. It was very strange and perplexing but thanks to Vaultpress and great support at Hostgator.

So here's my last question before marking this one resolved!

At one time or another I have had plugin's installed that were removed but have left behind calls or actions in the database that may or may not be a problem. However, after my recent crash I would really like to clean up the database and make sure I don't have anymore significant issues.

I went through my Vaultpress logs and noticed some of these old plugins are still present in the database.

For instance: WPMUdev Chat and Pro-Sites which are no longer installed.
    (The following is from my Vaultpress Logs)

Completed a full sync of the wp_wpmudev_chat_message table
    Completed a full sync of the wp_wpmudev_chat_log table
    Completed a full sync of the wp_pro_sites_signup_stats table
    Completed a full sync of the wp_pro_sites_daily_stats table
    Completed a full sync of the wp_pro_sites table

How can I (without it all being manually) remove obsolete database tables or information?

Thanks!

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today! Thanks for your patience on this, sorry about the delay here, I was away for the past 10 days.

I would highly recommend removing any old database tables manually and not using a plugin, you are far more likely to have a crash by using a plugin that automatically does it, than deleting manually, also of course it's important to backup before doing this.

You could look into using a plugin such as http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-clean-up/ or delete those tables manually using PHPMYAdmin.

Any issues at all, we're here to help.

Thanks again for your patience here.

Kind Regards
    Jack.