When a person buys either a free website or a pro site (but

When a person buys either a free website or a pro site (but with a coupon I set up to make it free... so I can create my own sites (or is that not the best way to do it? Can I create my own site by normal means?)), do I get charged a transaction fee from Stripe?

Thanks.

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

@warpedmind:

I just did a bit of research on this, and it looks like if you do a transaction through Stripe, even if the cost to the payer is $0.00, you're going to pay Stripe that 30-cent fee, even though they don't have anything to take $2.9% from as far as the cost goes.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything else, but that's what I've come across so far.

Faydra...

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Faydra, thanks for chiming in to help :slight_smile:

@warpedmind thanks for your post.

If you want to ad your own sites, you don't need to go through the signup process. You are a super admin and you can add the sites via the backend via Sites >> All sites >> Add new.

That would not charge you anything and you can also upgrade a site to a pro level as you are already a super admin.

Does that help and answer your question ? Let me know if you have more questions on the same :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

• warpedmind
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks, @PC. Can you please confirm this: When a person signs up for a free website, do I get charged a transaction fee by Stripe? If so, is there a way to bypass the credit card input and transaction altogether for when a person selects the free site option? Perhaps they can simply be required (for free sites) to enter their email address, verify via phone or captcha, etc.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Heya,

Can you please confirm this: When a person signs up for a free website, do I get charged a transaction fee by Stripe?

No you should not. As the transaction value is $0 then you should not be charged anything. Are you seeing a different behavior ?

Cheers, PC

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

@PC and @warpedmind:

I just set up an account with Stripe and then submitted a support ticket asking the following question: "If my customer uses a coupon that sets their total to $0.00, then how you does Stripe charge me to use their system to complete a no-money transaction?"

As soon as I get a reply, I'll let you all know.

Faydra...

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Faydra,

Thanks a bunch for your support here. This is really awesome.

According to me it should not charge anything as its a $0 checkout however I am not able to get my stripe test account working for some reasons.

I will however also test this and get back with more information. BTW, points your way !

Cheers, PC

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

Hello, all:

Here's the response I got back from Stripe:

"Hi there,

Happy to help!

Stripe's fee is based on the amount charged, so if there's no charge, then there's no fee. In this case we won't create a charge because the amount is $0, so your fee will be 0.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Best,

Brian"

So @PC is correct.

Faydra...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.