When activated, Marketpress shuts down my permissions to access my blog

After extensive local testing, tonight I was hoping to start using Marketpress for real.

I uploaded a fully functioning customized Marketpress to my server and in the moment I activated the plugin, it shut down my permissions do access my Wordpress install (all users, not only mine). Just to be sure it was Marketpress, I deactivated all plugins via an FTP easy trick and activated only Marketpress. Same thing happened.

Any help?

(I would REALLY appreciate if someone could shine me a light today - sunday - so I can meet my project milestone)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings karlalopez,

Wow this is certainly something i have never heard of happening with Market Press nor do I know how it is possible.

But lets go after it.

WordPress 3.3.1?
    MultiSite or Solo?
    Buddy Press 1.5.5?
    Market Press 2.5.5?
    URL?

I uploaded a fully functioning customized Marketpress to my server

It is working on a local install of the same specs?

How about the products, how did you load them?

Please advise on all of the above.

Cheers, Joe

• karlalopez
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Let's see:

Latest Wordpress and Marketpress version.
    Multisite

It is working on a local install of the same specs. Same Wordpress version, same Marketpress (I uploaded the whole folder to my server, and before that, I actually tested this same folder in another fresh local Wordpress install - not the one I was testing all my edits). Everything is working fine.

I didn't load products nor posts. It's at Obaiti.com, that was already a network. It has only 3 sites, obaiti.com (only a landing page using LaunchEffect theme), obaiti.com/mais (a regular blog using TwentyEleven), and obaiti.com/karlalopez (there's nothing on it, just the 'hello world' default posts, pages and plugins).

Thank you Joe.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings karlalopez,

Oh my, this means that you have not copied the database tables for Market Press from your local install to your production server?

That is what part of if not all of the problem will be - Market Press as well as many other plugins to include themes create database tables when installed.

On a MultiSite install Market Press creates and keeps its data including products etc. by default in the globals table using the tables wp_mp_products, wp_mp_term_relationships, and the wp_mp_terms.

Minimum those would need to be transferred as well.

In addition, you mentioned heavily modified Market Press. Any chance you really meant the theme Grid Press?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karlalopez

I meant both: gridmarket and marketpress.

I dont really get why it won't work since I've done this before.

The same folder I was testing in my laptop, in a local Wordpress install, I copied to another fresh local Wordpress install in another computer (I didn't plan to this, I borrowed my laptop to a friend for a couple of day and got lazy on doing the full backup of my work - and it is working for the past 3 days).

Let me ask you a question: If i upload the original version of the plugin to my server, activate it, and then replace it with my modified copy, would it work?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings karlalopez,

It is my opinion that if you upload the original and activate it - it is certain that the database tables will be created.

If you just modified php files and upload them replacing the originals (overwriting them) you should still have your customizations.

However, anything and everything dealing with the database portion of Market Press/Grid Market will obviously not be saved to the host.

Lets hope that this is the case that DB changes do not come into play here, but if they do all is not lost we just need to transfer those setting as well.

But first lets take care of the easy possibilities first before working over database files :slight_smile:

Please let me know how it goes with plan "A" i.e. activating original then over writing with your modified files.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings karlalopez,

I did not have any problem getting into your site and thank you for sending the information so that I may attempt to see whats going on with.

It appears that you have changed the name of the plugins folder though and I am wondering if that was just for trouble shooting or is this now the working folder?

Please advise before I proceed, I do not want to create a mess in there :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings karlalopez,

After getting past the capital "O" in the FTP user name I was able to gain access and I did go ahead and upload Market Press again, but when I went into the wordpress dashboard I could not see the plugin at all.

Is there any chance that I do not have or have not had sufficient permissions/user role to see the network admin?

Definitely could not troubleshoot due to I cannot activate the plugin .... lol

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karlalopez

Joe,

Do you think one of Marketpress developers can tell me why exactly Marketpress lite works on Godaddy hosting and Marketpress full dont?

I have zero problem with changing my hosting, but right now, I feel like I can still face the exact same problem since I don't know what are the specs my current hosting lacks. In order to get this thing to work, I need to know what kind of service I need to look for.

I also think that these specs should be written in Marketpress info page. I wish I have been told I wouldn't be able to use it in my current hosting.

Do you think you can help me?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings karlalopez,

Thank you for allowing me to attempt to resolve this off forum and that all efforts to do so were fruitless.

Even though we were able to change the php.ini file and more together we have not been able to get Market Press plugin to work and I have conceded that I think it is a Go Daddy Shared Hosting configuration problem.

I further acknowledge that we were successful at getting Market Press Lite to work without any trouble at all.

Do you think one of Marketpress developers can tell me why exactly Marketpress lite works on Godaddy hosting and Marketpress full dont?

I will ask the lead developer of the Market Press plugin to please come in here and advise/advice as to the possibilities as to why we cannot get this to work.

Though this may take longer then a normal ticket, I will do my best to get the lead developers valuable insight in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

Dev Note: When I install Market Press plugin her whole site goes down immediately upon activation and give us an error of some kind about permissions. I permission-ed everything from top to bottom and we still get the permissions error. i.e. 755

The exact error I have not included here because it is not in English but definitely is something about permissions. When we install Market Press Lite her site works flawlessly. Raised php memory from 32 MB to 64 MB - please advise if you have any idea what we may have missed or may be causing this to happen.

• Aaron
    • CTO

I really can't there shouldn't be a difference. Do you have php5? and are you using WP 3.3.1 an MP 2.5.6 uncustomized?

We really can't support your customized version.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Aaron,

Thank you so much for looking into this it is greatly appreciated.

Karla is on the level. I was trying for two days to figure out why including placing a phpinfo.php in her root and having her host help with php.ini settings to some degree i.e. increase php memory to 64 MB

Also i would disable every single plugin that was there, even renamed the entire folder and created a new one with just Market press and the moment you activate it that is the end - the error and you are stuck except for deleting Market press.

FYI: the only thing I did not have access to was her cpanel that I am aware of and therefore I did not have the ability to modify her database in anyway shape or form. This came to mind tonight while I was thinking about it going over every detail in my head.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Karla,

It is not so much as viewing the DB but for us to actually do a complete fresh install it should include the removal of the Database Tables previously installed by the plugin.

Therefore if you want to attempt to run Market press again, first backup the entire database, we should delete/remove all Database Tables starting with mp_ then reinstall the brand new version of Market Press and activate it hoping that this issue is resolved.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karlalopez

oh, god, it is probably the database.

during the night, I was running a couple of tests in another domain, same hosting, and installed Marktpress just out of curiosity. it works.

(sigh)

I will backup everything and let you know what happens,

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.