When are eNewsletter bounces processed?

I tested my bounce email, saw eNewsletter send a message to the account and then delete it. So I am fairly certain that this part is working.

I sent my first newsletter on Wednesday afternoon (about 40 hours ago), and it worked perfectly - 4800 recipients. My bounces account has about 250 messages in it though. What's the procedure for processing these? Are they processed after a longer wait period to make sure that all of the bounces have finished?

Thanks.

Danita

• Maniu

Hey @Danita

So, after you have sent your newsletter, bounce check was triggered to start in around 5 minutes. Most of the time it is enough for mail servers to send replies that email x does not exists. eNewsletter is checking pop account for messages like this and if it does find it, email is being marked as bounced and thats it

Is there something else you would like to know?

Thanks,
    Maniu

• Danita

So, if it hasn't done that, how can I get eNewsletter to check for bounces? I show "0" bounces through eNewsletter, but there are 248 messages in the inbox of the "bounce" email account. They generally look like this:

This message was created automatically by the SMTP relay on echt.caledonia.net.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients.
    The following address(es) failed:

user@somecompany.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<user@somecompany.com>:
    host mail.somecompany.com [123.123.123.123]: 550 5.1.1 <user@somecompany.com> is not a valid mailbox

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

• Danita

So, if it hasn't done that, how can I get eNewsletter to check for bounces? I show "0" bounces through eNewsletter, but there are 248 messages in the inbox of the "bounce" email account. They generally look like this:

This message was created automatically by the SMTP relay on echt.caledonia.net.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients.
    The following address(es) failed:

user@somecompany.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<user@somecompany.com>:
    host mail.somecompany.com [123.123.123.123]: 550 5.1.1 <user@somecompany.com> is not a valid mailbox

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

• Danita

By the way, I've been reading some other threads here on bounce processing, and it sounds to me like perhaps this is a feature that you haven't had a chance to work on @Maniu? I see that you "took this project over", and that's always a challenge to fix someone else's code!

In any event, what does counting the bounces actually accomplish? From the other messages I've read, it sounds like this is only a count of bounces, and doesn't actually prevent having new messages sent to the email address, and that there is no real mechanism to auto-unsubscribe an address that ultimately bounces. Or has this been added since you started working on the project?

In a perfect world, here's what I'd like to see develop from this:

1. Have the bounce processing start about 24 hours after the email run, so that there is time to gather bounce info. In fact, I think this would not be a bad thing to cron every "X" hours because bounces can come in days after a message is actually sent,
    2. Have a manual way to trigger the bounce processing if necessary (i.e., run a specific PHP file and the bounce processing will happen).
    3. Have a threshold for bounces that says after "x" bounces, unsubscribe the member from all lists. This would allow the stats to stay in the system for the member, but the member could automatically be removed.

Thanks!

Danita

• Maniu

Hey @Danita

I have been working on this part a little, overall the problem is that every bounce response message generated by servers might be bit different so it is hard to detect all bounce messages but it should work in most cases.

It is now possible to display members with bounced emails so this lets users delete members like this. Your ideas are good too, i will think about better way to improve this part of eNewsletter.

Thanks for suggestions!
    Maniu

ps. after each newsletter sent, bounces for all previous newsletters should get checked aswell.