When creating a subdomain network in Dashboard get error

Hi, I'm in the trial day 1, and I created demob.alienabductioncare.com (don't laugh its a testing site) :slight_smile: however when I visit the created site I get error that page doesn't exist and I checked folders to see it there but doesn't exist. Using Hostgator, Wordpress version 4.6.1

Added .htaccess rewrite rules and updated wp-config per instructions. Please advise, as I think if this works I will stay as a member with your site.

• Adam Czajczyk

Heloo Kaitlyn,

I hope you're well and welcome to the community!

I checked the site in question and all I get is "Errer: domain name not resolved". This suggests that while your Multisite is set as a sub-domain install, there "alienabductioncare.com" domain doesn't have so called "wild-card" sub-domain created.

This is a requirement for sub-domain Multisite install, however setting that up depends on whether you are using a dedicated IP or not and what tools does your host give you.

Take a look here please:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Configuring_Wildcard_Subdomains

There are several ways of setting up a "wild-card" subdomain described, the one you should follow depends on what server management panel you got at your disposal (eg. cPanel which is most popular) from your host.

Check that article please and in case you had any further questions on this or needed more assistance, let me know here.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Kaitlyn

Its working, thank you!

One more question (before I break out the champagne that I found you guys!)...

I have a bunch of unique domains all hosted on a shared Hostgator site.

Using your "domain mapping" plugin could I:

1) From 1 Wpmu dev account manage ALL of them, even though they are my sites?

2) Could each one retain their individual domain names (example cookies.com) instead of cookies.mainsite.com?

3) If so, would I have to change something at Godaddy so it all points differently?

OMG if you say I can do this without having to go through Goddady to change anything, I will begin to cry.

You guys have EVERYTHING I've been searching for, under 1 roof.

Please say yes! :wink:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Kaitlyn!

I'm very happy I could help!

Enjoy your champagne! I'm about to end my shift for today so I'm going to celebrate that with you with a cup of hot tea (it's 1am here!) :slight_smile:

Before I logout let me first address your questions though :slight_smile:

1) From 1 Wpmu dev account manage ALL of them, even though they are my sites?

I'm not really sure what do you mean by this so let me explain how I imagine this. I assume you are referring to the sites of your multisite, is that right? If so, all the sites are actually the same one WordPress install so there's no need to "manage separate sites". I mean, that if a main domain ("mainsite.com") is already added to your account here ("The Hub") you are able to manage that WordPress install.

This doesn't let you manage "internal" things such as users of your Multisite etc but you can update plugins and themes and use all the functions of The Hub.

2) Could each one retain their individual domain names (example cookies.com) instead of cookies.mainsite.com?

Yes! With Domain Mapping you could add any top level domains to the subsites so for example "cookies.mainsite.com" becomes "cookies.com".

3) If so, would I have to change something at Godaddy so it all points differently?

First, you would need to install and configure the "Domain Mapping" plugin as explained here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage

Once this is working, you would want to make changes to the DNS settings of the domains that you keep at GoDaddy's. I assume that you do not host your site there as well, is that right?

There are two ways to proceed. If you are using a dedicated IP for your site (so only your mainsite.com is using that IP) you would need to edit DNS settings for these domains so "A" record for each of them was pointing to your dedicated IP.

If you are not using a dedicated IP, simply:

- change nameservers in GoDaddy for these domains to the nameservers given by your host (just like you did adding your mainsite.com)
    - add these domains to your cPanel as "add-on" domains with one exception: while doing this make sure that when prompted you selected "root folder" for each of these domains to be the same as the root folder of the "mainsite.com".

As a result, loading any of these domains would load your mainsite.com. When this works, Domain Mapping will handle the rest (for usage guide for Domain Mapping check the link I shared above please).

In case you had any specific questions on this please don't hesitate to start new threads on our support forum (it's suggested to post separate questions/topic for issues that are not strictly related) and I and my colleagues here we will happily assist you :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.