When I activate Course Pro, it disables your Chat plugin

When I activate Course Pro, it disables your Chat plugin. When I deactivate Course Pro, the chat returns.

• Patrick

Hi there @Donearl

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

I saw you had enabled support access, so I logged into your admin and see that activating CoursePress Pro on your site does indeed disable the chat window on the front-end of the site.

Interestingly, that bottom-corner chat window does appear as expected in the admin when both plugins are enabled, but only on Chat Settings screens. :slight_frown:

Inspecting the page with browser tools, there does appear to be a script in CoursePress that is trying to load itself on every page, and that may be interfering with the Chat.

The script is located in this file:
    coursepress/js/front-enrollment-process.js

I'll see if one of our 2nd-level support wiz-kids can join here to help debug a possible javascript issue, as that is not really one of my strengths.

• Hoang Ngo

Hi Donearl,

Thanks for that, I has checked, and it's seem the way your theme including jQuery is not follow WordPress standard, this is a minor thing, we just need to fix it, and both Chat & CoursePress can work together :slight_smile:

I will need to access to FTP for place a small patch there, Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks!!.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @ Donearl,

I hope you are well today.

Actually, instead of include jQuery by hard code like currently, we just need to follow WordPress way by using this
    wp_enqueue_script('jquery')
    For now, your theme can conflict with other plugins, example this case:
    - Your theme has it own version of jQuery
    - If a plugin need to use jQuery, they surely will include it by the function wp_enqueue_script('jquery'), and that will make WordPress include another version of jQuery. 2 versions of jQuery in one page, that can make your site's javascript not work properly.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Donearl

Here is a reply from my developer:

The jQuery is not hard-coded in. It was registered and en-queued by standard practices. Please see the following link:

http://nqic.ikreator.com/wp-admin/theme-editor.php?file=functions.php&theme=archi

The above link it to the function.php file where we got jQuery to load into the theme. The current theme is a child theme and the link above it to its parent theme where all calls to jQuery takes place.

Before this, the jQuery script was de-registered and it was using the Google version of jQuery for faster downloads -- this is a common practice as well but not necessarily standard. So per your instructions, I'm now loading the jQuery that comes with WordPress (the standard way). and it seems to be working, CoursePro is active and Chat is available as well.

• Hoang Ngo

Hi Donearl,

I hope you are well today.

Great to hear this working. Also, about the jQuery including way, I think this is coding style. Personally, I don't think including version from Google is faster or not, as the different is just millisecond. However, calling the version come with WordPress, we don't have to worry about jQuery version, as WordPress will maintain the version for us, same with other Javascript plugins, which come with WordPress.

And also, if your developer want to go back to CDN way, I think he should include this too
    code.jquery.com/jquery-migrate-1.2.1.min.js
    Just for compatibility issue with old plugins (if you using :wink: ).

If you have any issues please don't hesitate to let us know so we can assist

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.