When I clone my website to create a staging error I get

Hello,

When I clone my website to create a staging error I get the following error message each time:

There was an error trying to copy the menu. ID:

I created this menu in upfront, but it does not seem to have associated an ID - can you point me in the right direction to being able to do this, so the menu can be copied across successfully?

Many thanks
Scott

• Bojan Radonic

Hey Scott,

How are you doing today?

Before we start troubleshooting this further can you please let me know how exactly are you cloning you site and where.

After checking your registered sites I can see that this is a multisite and that you have both Snapshot and Cloner installed, are you looking to clone a subsite to another subsite in which case Cloner would be the way to go or trying to make a staging multisite? I've also seen that you've added a staging site via wpengine as well.

Please let me know :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Bojan

• Scott

Hi Bojan,

Fine thanks, hope you are well too and thanks for the quick response.

Yes I am using cloner to clone a subsite to another subsite. Each time I do this I get the error as above, this also happened on another site, but the menu was so small I recreated it when I cloned the site back from staging to live.

This menu on this particular site is very large so really don't want to do that.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
    Scott

• Bojan Radonic

Hey Scott,

I've been doing some tests on my sandbox site and I can recreate the issue. The displayed error that you've pointed out above is not related to custom menus that you've created, in my case that specific menu was being copied properly, this error is displayed for default menus that you get with any of the child themes so your custom menu should be copied properly.

Since on site creation these menus are still being created there shouldn't be really any problem unless in your case you're not being able to go through the whole cloning process, please let me know if you don't.

I'll still report this to our developers so we can see if there is anything we can do in the future to prevent these errors from showing up for default Upfront menus :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Scott

Hi Bojan,

Problem is, I didn't create a custom menu I just edited the default menu, so all my edits did not come across.

I fixed it though, by downloading a menu duplicator plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-duplicate-wordpress-custom-menus/

The menu does not stay in place when cloned, but I was able to change the menu to the duplicated version, which has retained all my links.

Yes definitely worth reporting to the developers - thanks.

Best regards,
    Scott

• Bojan Radonic

Hey again Scott,

That totally makes sense as these default menus are not being copied by Cloner due to the error you mentioned and the new default ones are being created automatically which explains your issue.

After additionally testing this I can confirm it as well, when editing existing default menus they are not being properly cloned on the new subsite.

Alternatively instead of using that plugin you can simply create a new menu by using Upfront menu element, see screenshot

This one should be properly cloned when using Cloner.

Cheers,
    Bojan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.