When I created a Pro Site Blog, the subdomain redirects to another URL that I have and not the corre

When I create a site under the Site Directory page, all goes fine. I guess somewhere down the DNS line, the subdirectory it creates tells the subdomain to be redirected to another domain on my hosting. Is there something to change in the .htaccess file or is there something deeply wrong and can this be fixed?

A little backstory: My company changed its name and we created a new multisite under a new domain on the same hosting plan. We don't know how to transfer or change code to do so, otherwise. Here's the old site to the current site:

intermotionintl.com (old)
theindiehub.net (new)

Subdomain (Pro Site): thecommons.theindiehub.net (redirects to --->:wink: intermotionintl.com

Any help??

• Drew

I have not setup a DNS, I'm just trying to think of possible reasons. Do I need to set one up? and they are both seperate installs as well.

the indie hub file:
    # BEGIN WPSuperCache
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    #If you serve pages from behind a proxy you may want to change 'RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on' to something more sensible
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*[^/]$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*//.*$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} !POST
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} !.*=.*
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Cookie} !^.*(comment_author_|wordpress_logged_in|wp-postpass_).*$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Wap-Profile} !^[a-z0-9\"]+ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:stuck_out_tongue:rofile} !^[a-z0-9\"]+ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*(2.0\ MMP|240x320|400X240|AvantGo|BlackBerry|Blazer|Cellphone|Danger|DoCoMo|Elaine/3.0|EudoraWeb|Googlebot-Mobile|hiptop|IEMobile|KYOCERA/WX310K|LG/U990|MIDP-2.|MMEF20|MOT-V|NetFront|Newt|Nintendo\ Wii|Nitro|Nokia|Opera\ Mini|Palm|PlayStation\ Portable|portalmmm|Proxinet|ProxiNet|SHARP-TQ-GX10|SHG-i900|Small|SonyEricsson|Symbian\ OS|SymbianOS|TS21i-10|UP.Browser|UP.Link|webOS|Windows\ CE|WinWAP|YahooSeeker/M1A1-R2D2|iPhone|iPod|Android|BlackBerry9530|LG-TU915\ Obigo|LGE\ VX|webOS|Nokia5800).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_user_agent} !^(w3c\ |w3c-|acs-|alav|alca|amoi|audi|avan|benq|bird|blac|blaz|brew|cell|cldc|cmd-|dang|doco|eric|hipt|htc_|inno|ipaq|ipod|jigs|kddi|keji|leno|lg-c|lg-d|lg-g|lge-|lg/u|maui|maxo|midp|mits|mmef|mobi|mot-|moto|mwbp|nec-|newt|noki|palm|pana|pant|phil|play|port|prox|qwap|sage|sams|sany|sch-|sec-|send|seri|sgh-|shar|sie-|siem|smal|smar|sony|sph-|symb|t-mo|teli|tim-|tosh|tsm-|upg1|upsi|vk-v|voda|wap-|wapa|wapi|wapp|wapr|webc|winw|winw|xda\ |xda-).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Encoding} gzip
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/home3/dwink/public_html/theindiehub.net/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/home3/dwink/public_html/theindiehub.net/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Cookie} !^.*(comment_author_|wordpress_logged_in|wp-postpass_).*$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*(2.0\ MMP|240x320|400X240|AvantGo|BlackBerry|Blazer|Cellphone|Danger|DoCoMo|Elaine/3.0|EudoraWeb|Googlebot-Mobile|hiptop|IEMobile|KYOCERA/WX310K|LG/U990|MIDP-2.|MMEF20|MOT-V|NetFront|Newt|Nintendo\ Wii|Nitro|Nokia|Opera\ Mini|Palm|PlayStation\ Portable|portalmmm|Proxinet|ProxiNet|SHARP-TQ-GX10|SHG-i900|Small|SonyEricsson|Symbian\ OS|SymbianOS|TS21i-10|UP.Browser|UP.Link|webOS|Windows\ CE|WinWAP|YahooSeeker/M1A1-R2D2|iPhone|iPod|Android|BlackBerry9530|LG-TU915\ Obigo|LGE\ VX|webOS|Nokia5800).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_user_agent} !^(w3c\ |w3c-|acs-|alav|alca|amoi|audi|avan|benq|bird|blac|blaz|brew|cell|cldc|cmd-|dang|doco|eric|hipt|htc_|inno|ipaq|ipod|jigs|kddi|keji|leno|lg-c|lg-d|lg-g|lge-|lg/u|maui|maxo|midp|mits|mmef|mobi|mot-|moto|mwbp|nec-|newt|noki|palm|pana|pant|phil|play|port|prox|qwap|sage|sams|sany|sch-|sec-|send|seri|sgh-|shar|sie-|siem|smal|smar|sony|sph-|symb|t-mo|teli|tim-|tosh|tsm-|upg1|upsi|vk-v|voda|wap-|wapa|wapi|wapp|wapr|webc|winw|winw|xda\ |xda-).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/home3/dwink/public_html/theindiehub.net/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "public_html/theindiehub.net/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/home3/dwink/public_html/theindiehub.net/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/public_html/theindiehub.net/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/home3/dwink/public_html/theindiehub.net/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/public_html/theindiehub.net/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html" [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WPSuperCache

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress

the intermotiointl.com file:
    # BEGIN WPSuperCache
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    #If you serve pages from behind a proxy you may want to change 'RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on' to something more sensible
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/home3/dwink/public_html/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/home3/dwink/public_html/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/home3/dwink/public_html/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/home3/dwink/public_html/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/home3/dwink/public_html/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/home3/dwink/public_html/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/home3/dwink/public_html/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/home3/dwink/public_html/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html" [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WPSuperCache

# BEGIN s2Member GZIP exclusions
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&:wink:s2member_file_download\=.+ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&:wink:no-gzip\=1
    RewriteRule .* - [E=no-gzip:1]
    </IfModule>
    # END s2Member GZIP exclusions

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ wp/$1 [L]
    # END WordPress

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Drew,

Thanks for the additional information, there should be at least two records art the DNS for both domains.

One A record for the domain and another of a wildcard for the sub domains, so *.domain.com

Then for the .htaccess, can you take those back to stock .htaccess and disable the cache please?

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ wp/$1 [L]

Then see if that works :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• tryst

Drew,

I think I had a similar problem (not too sure) when I had set up a server with a domain name on it, set up Wordpress Multisite, then set up a second domain and multisite on the same server.

Some links on the new domain would annoyingly redirect to the old domain name on the server.

The way I got round it ws by removing the old domain from the httpd.conf file for apache (I think it was there as the default domain, or it was higher up in the file so it would be processed first).

If you use a control panel on your server instead (like Cpanel or Plesk) then this would be under the settings for "Apache Webserver".

It's necessary to restart Apache if you make any changes to it. This catches me out quite a bit.

In a control panel it may say "Apply changes", or other wise restart apache (or stop it and start it).

The other thing to check is that the hostname of the server is correct.

Note also, that if you set up SSL sites (port 443), they are configuired separately in the httpd.conf or /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf file. I came stuck on this too. I couldn't work out why some things weren't working on multisite when using SSL.

In the end I had to make sure I had this in it:
    <Directory /var/www/vhosts/mysite.com/httpdocs>
    Options
    AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

Otherwise, all the cool stuff in the wordpress .htaccess file was being ignored.

Regards,
    Trystan

• tryst

Drew,

I've not used Cpanel for a long time, so I'm not sure.

Do you remember how you added the new domain name to the server?

Here's something I found on domain management on Cpanel:

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vief/11_30/CpanelDocs/AddonDomains

Here's another one on configuring Apache on Cpanel:
    http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/ApacheConfig

If you're not able to see these options, you may need to check that you've got permissions to access these with your Cpanel login details (there may be someone with root permission?).

Trystan

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Drew,

Thanks for your patience, I've taken a look and it's certainly a lot closer, but on the admin side, there's a redirect loop and front-end the css isn't loaded.

I've taken a look and something's interesting, could you tell me what you changed please?

As now in cPanel, there's no directory for the multisite and the FTP is pointing me to a blank root, please advise :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• tryst

Hey Drew,

This must be really frustrating for you!

It looks like you are hosted with Hostgator, is this right? I'm not familiar with them, but from their website they have different hosting plans. Shared hosting, VPS, Dedicated.

I'm guessing here that you're on shared hosting and trying to run both domains on the one shared hosting account. Is that correct?

There probably is a way of doing that, I imagine it's configured in your hostgator account settings rather than just in cPanel?

Trystan

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @trystan_davies and @Drew

Hope your both well today, something certainly isn't correct here with the current setup and the empty folders.

@drew, which folder was it originally installed in? intermotionintl?

As the wp-config.php (the only one I can see in the root), doesn't have multisite defined, which leads me to believe that's the wrong file, as your site will create the sub site.

Could you confirm which changes you made please?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.