When I run

When I run https://gtmetrix.com/reports/backandbodyny.com/0MI6TrzP I still see errors after I ran the WP Smush plugin. Please advise on how I can use WP Smush for images in directories.

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Anthony,

Page speed tests has two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing (Optimize images) - This one's is telling that image can be optimized and that's what smushing does.
    On your site there are images that are not optimized because they are used in original sizes and you probably are not optimizing those sizes, because it is disabled in Smush settings

2. Compressing and resizing (Serve scaled images) - This shows that the images are resized via HTML and CSS

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder, for example 816x1056 thumbnails on home page footer but the actual HTML holder of that image is 65x84px so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs (or if possible load there a smaller size of the image).

Please advise on how I can use WP Smush for images in directories.

If you need to optimize images from ourside the Media Library there is option for that on the bottom of the Smush page "DIRECTORY SMUSH"

kind regards,
    Kasia