When i select "Public" for users to login to the chat it

When i select “Public” for users to login to the chat it asks for their name they want and email…is there anyway to delete the email part of it?

–being you cant export the email info from WP it seems useless and an extra step that isnt needed.

• Domas
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello Brandon,

Hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, there’s no setting for email input field in the plugin settings page. In order to remove it, you need to edit wordpress-chat.php and wpmudev-chat.js files, but that is not a good idea. I’m considering this as a feature request and I’ll notify the lead developer.

Kind Regards,

Domas

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

When i select “Public” for users to login to the chat it asks for their name they want and email…is there anyway to delete the email part of it?

The email is used for the public users as a way to identify the unique user. This would be if you have multiple users within the group chat using the same name. Also the email is used if you display the avatar are part of the messages.

As @Domas mentioned this is just how the chat plugin is written. You can hack it yourself if you don’t want it. But next upgrade will effect it. We will eventually drop the email as a requirement for the public user. But for now it is required.

• Brandon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok I will check back with you to see when that feature is added…I think it would make alot more users to use the chat….as you know people are hesitant just to put in their email. When would you suggest I check back to see if that new feature has been added?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

I think it would make alot more users to use the chat….as you know people are hesitant just to put in their email.

And you have never heard of a user giving a false email address I guess. It is just a name and email form. Not a login. Many members who run group chats want more fields as they tend to get too man anonymous users.

When would you suggest I check back to see if that new feature has been added?

Probably about a month away from something for that. I have a backlog of other features I’m in the works on and then tend to rotate through my other 26 plugins I support.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Brandon,

Thanks for posting back.

Not out of the box its not possible to show the members count in a chat. But that seems like a great idea of a feature to be added to the plugin.

Let me see what @paul thinks on this and if he likes it, you never know the next update might come soon :wink:

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.