when I try to map a domain on one of my multisite, it gives

Hi, when I try to map a domain on one of my multisite, it gives me the attached message. How do I fix this? Certainly, the users having to point the domain to the proper records is not feasible, as most will not know how do this. I am using GoDaddy, cPanel in shared hosting environment. I have the A Name record and server IP entered in the settings. Thank you.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Blake,

You are on shared hosting - are you sure you have dedicated IP that is pointing to your main site in Multisite?
    If you don;t have dedicated IP you would need to add domain as Addon and point it to your root folder (where you have your Multisite installed). When you don't have dedicated IP A record will not work.

If this is not the case can you tell me how much time ago did you add A record? Sometimes it needs some time to propagate.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Ash

Hello @Blake

I hope you are doing good.

If you don't have dedicated IP, you can map domain using nameserver. Let me explain:

For example, your main site is network.com
    You have two subsites:
    1. one.network.com
    2. two.network.com
    These two subsites you want to map with following domains repectively:
    1. one.com
    2. two.com

So, if anyone enter one.com in the browser, it should show the site of one.network.com. Same for two.com

So, there are two scenarios now. Either you own all the domains, or you don't. First I think you own all the domains.

network.com site is hosted in a hosting whose nameservers are:
    ns1.networkhost.com
    ns2.networkhost.com

So, you have entered these nameservers for network.com domain panel. You have to set same nameservers for one.com and two.com domains too.

Then you will add one.com and two.com domains as add on domain in the same hosting of network.com, and make sure you point them to the network.com wordpress root folder. So that if any one enter one.com or two.com it shows network.com site.

After that, you will add the domains in corresponding subsites using domain panel plugin, and the mapped domain will start working.

Now, if you don't own the domains, then you will need a dedicated IP. I know you won't have access to the domain panel of your customers so that you can't set name servers in there. So, you will pass them you IP and they need to set a DNS record for their domain and point to that IP. Only then domain panel will work.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash

Hello @Blake

If I did get a reseller account with eNom would this process become automated if customers purchased through my eNom reseller?

I am not 100% sure about that, sorry. Maybe you can ask Enom support if they can point to same dedicated IP for all the domains that will be bought from your account.

About subdirectories, it's good, but sometimes we get some server related issues with subdirectory setup, so we recommend subdomain setup.

About SSL certificate, please note, if you want to provide SSL to your subsites, you will need wildcard SSL. And if you want to provide SSL to your subsite mapped domain, you will need Multi Domain SSL certificate.

Have an awesome day!

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.