When I updated several plugins my site went down.

Hi:

I just updated plugins and my site went down. Update: Ok, I am in the plugins folder in my FTP and see the plugins that were just updated. Here they are:

wordpress-chat
updraftplus
page-links-to
marketpress
jquery-accordion-slideshow
appointments+

There are all six. Have you guys had any issues with your plugins and sites being taken offline when they update?

How can I fix this?

Attached is a screenshot.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Greg,

I hope you are well today and sorry to hear of the problems your having, was these updated via the WPMU DEV dashboard? Have they been removed?

Can you check within your file manager or ftp, public_html/yourdomain/wp-content/plugins please?

If the site is still down, rename that folder and it will work again, the delete/deactivate one by one :slight_smile:

Look forward to your response.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Greg

Hi @Jack

I am going through the plugins one by one which is taking a long time, BUT there may be some benefit to having this problem:

#1 Remember the Appointments+ issue in another thread here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-think-there-is-a-problem-with-appointment-widgets-see#post-467557 ? Well, I think I isolated the problem and the Appointment+ Widget allows the right sidebar to appear when I deactivate Google Analyticator. I am 99% sure that is the problem (even though it seems like the least likely plugin to cause that issue). I triple check it and is causing the right sidebar to disappear in the Appointments+ widget area. So, I am getting rid of it.

Do you have any good choices for Google Analyticator plugin alternatives or should I even bother and just go direct to Google Analytics site for and Analytics needs?

#2 I believe I have also Isolated another plugin that was causing my site to be pretty slow compared to peers in load times and errors...Shareoholic plugin. I am deactivating that one too.

Do you have any good alternatives to share for a replacement Social Share plugin that allows a wide range of sharing abilities etc...Actually, do you know of any studies to show what most people use to share with most of the time? I would guess, of course, FB, Twitter, Google+ and maybe straight email shares?

Also...WP Auctions, WP Auctions Extended Widget, and WP Auctions List extensions really seem to slow down page loading too. Any alternatives for a WP Auctions type plugin you know of?

Thanks Jack...let me know you received this...

Still plugging along with adding the plugins back in but actually cleaning them up too...so, it is working out anyway on a couple of levels...smile.

Greg

• signed_up

@Greg

WPMU Dev staff members, including @Jack Kitterhing, will have to help you out with this, but I have a suggestion for next time...

Take backups before completing actions like this. You said you updated "several" plugins at once and obviously, without a backup. I wouldn't even suggest updating several plugins at once with a backup. It's just too hard to trace back to see what caused the error if one occurs.

Plugins for this:
    http://vaultpress.com/plans/
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/backwpup/
    BackupBuddy
    Snapshot

Lastly, you can always backup manually.

Sorry that this may not have been the most fortunate time for a suggestion to backup more frequently, but it is something that you should consider next time. I'm sure WPMU Dev staff will be able to help you work this out this time though! Hope your issue becomes resolved!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Greg

I hope you are well today and sorry about the extreme delay, I had missed your replies.

#1 Remember the Appointments+ issue in another thread here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-think-there-is-a-problem-with-appointment-widgets-see#post-467557 ? Well, I think I isolated the problem and the Appointment+ Widget allows the right sidebar to appear when I deactivate Google Analyticator. I am 99% sure that is the problem (even though it seems like the least likely plugin to cause that issue). I triple check it and is causing the right sidebar to disappear in the Appointments+ widget area. So, I am getting rid of it.

I have heard of the Google Analyticator plugin causing issue before not only with our plugins, but also plugins from wordpress.org and also other premium plugins from code canyon. I would personally recommend just going with Google Analytics direct :slight_smile:

#2 I believe I have also Isolated another plugin that was causing my site to be pretty slow compared to peers in load times and errors...Shareoholic plugin. I am deactivating that one too.

Do you have any good alternatives to share for a replacement Social Share plugin that allows a wide range of sharing abilities etc...Actually, do you know of any studies to show what most people use to share with most of the time? I would guess, of course, FB, Twitter, Google+ and maybe straight email shares?

I would think (though I have no official figures :slight_smile: That FB and twitter are the two where most shares are done, as email sharing seems to have faded lately, reddit is also quite big, but only for certain types of sites really. This is quite a good plugin here http://wordpress.org/plugins/sharexy/

Also...WP Auctions, WP Auctions Extended Widget, and WP Auctions List extensions really seem to slow down page loading too. Any alternatives for a WP Auctions type plugin you know of?

With the auctions there aren't a lot of plugins out there like that, I found this here http://www.wpmayor.com/plugin-reviews/best-auction-plugins-for-wordpress/ that may be of interest to you :slight_smile:

Thank you! And again sorry for the delay.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.