When I upgraded to Membership 2, the link to PayPal didn't carry over for recurring payments

Hello!
I recently upgraded to Membership Pro. I had PayPal set up for recurring payments, but it looks like the connection to PayPal didn't carry over during the upgrade.

The member I'm looking at specifically is tboller@co.iredell.nc.us, username landfill. I see his payment information set up in PayPal, but it's not showing up on his membership.

Is there a way to re-link his account to PayPal?

I enabled support access.

Thank you,

Sarah Bolton

• Sajid

Hi Sarah Bolton! Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I can not find a member with the email you provide in your question. Is this existing member or new member ?

Payments status can take some times to be updated and reflected on members page on your website. Also please check you have set the PayPal method correctly and if you are using "PayPal Standard Gateway" then make sure the IPN settings are correct, by following the instructions.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Chees, Sajid

• Sarah

Hello Sajid,
    This was an existing member.

If you look on the Billing tab under the Membership 2 plugin menu, he is the #1 on the list. Exact email and username I gave you.

I have my payment gateway set-up correctly.

This was working in the old version of Membership.

Please advise how else I can troubleshoot this issue. I do not want to have to ask my customers to re-enter payment information.

Thank you,

Sarah

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Sarah,

We recently ran into an issue with serial subscriptions from Membership being converted into single payment memberships in Membership 2 Pro, that was fixed with the most recent update (Version 1.0.0.4), what version of Membership 2 Pro did you have installed at the time?

This may require a re-import of the Membership data if you initially handled the import with a version older than 1.0.0.4 (with the box checked for "Replace current content with import data (removes existing Memberships/Members before importing data)" when importing).

Please advise,
    Michael

• Sarah

Hi Michael,
    My customer registered when I was still running Membership (the most latest version). I'm now running Membership 2 version 1.0.0.4/

If I re-import my Membership data, will it override all of the page protections? I spent a couple hours resetting all of that, and don't want to do it over again.

Because we just launched our platform, we only had one customer registered, but this glitch is making me VERY nervous to proceed with adding more customers to our program.

Can I use the Billings > Edit user > then send an invoice to the customer?

Please advise how I can correct this issue.

Thank you,

Sarah

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Sarah,

Really sorry for the frustration you've been running into here. :slight_frown:

I see that you've downgraded to Membership Pro in the meantime, would you like us to dig into this further for you? I'd like to have a closer look at how you've got things set up here (no changes will be made), and see if I can replicate this over on my own site (since in my own testing, I was able to have the recurring subscriptions move over properly).

If you would, could you please enable Support Access to your site? :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Sarah,

Okay, I've gone ahead & done some testing here, copying the setup of your levels & subscriptions on my own site (as well as making non-trial versions of the Monthly & Annual subscriptions), and I found that the payment information was migrated over for all of my test members.

However, since the trial periods from Membership Pro get turned into separate memberships inside of Membership 2 Pro, users that were in that trial period get attached to that newly created membership, which means that after the 30 days for that membership are up, they're turned into visitors again (as it's a Finite membership).

I can see where this'd be a problem, and it's something that I'll bring to the developer's attention here.

However! A bright spot in all of this is, is that after the migration from Membership Pro to Membership 2 Pro is complete, and your old serial subscriptions are imported, you could enable the "Trial Period" add-on inside of Membership 2 Pro, and set up your imported serial memberships with trial periods, thus reproducing the old setup. :slight_smile:

(I did a quick test on my test site with the Monthly subscription, and it's working as it should over there)

So for users signing up after the migration to Membership 2 Pro should be fine here. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Edit: As an additional note, as you had indicated earlier that the member affected before was in a trial period at the time, he should be able to cancel the subscription (both inside of PayPal & inside of your site), and then sign back up to it again (and if you've got the Trial Period add-on enabled, it'd restart their trial period).

If I were you, I'd want to get this moved over sooner than later, before more subscribers come onto the scene.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Sarah, Michael here! :slight_smile:

After talking about this with the developer, there's a workaround that we can give a try, regarding those imported trial memberships:

Regarding the the trial membership: Click on the "Access options" link, make sure the membership is set to "Finite" and set the paid membership as follow up membership in the field "After this membership ends..." (see screenshot below)

This way users do not end up as visitors once the trial membership ends but they are subscribed to the paid membership.

Note: The member does not need to provide any payment details for the trial membership. Once he is automatically subscribed to the paid membership he is on "Pending" status, since he did not pay yet. Once he is on Pending status he can pay for the membership in the "My Account" page.

As long as he is on Pending status it's like being a visitor...

Let me know if that helps please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael