When someone clicks on "Register My Account" it doesn't go

When someone clicks on "Register My Account" it doesn't go to payment screen (PayPal Express). Instead it goes right back to the membership signup page

Note:
- Membership levels have been set up.
- Gateway has been set up
I started with the free version. I set up the membership levels and tested with PayPal Exress in sandbox mode and everything worked fine.
I upgraded to the full version and now the sign-up/payment no longer works. As stated above, when someone fills out the form, and clicks on Register My Account, it just reloads the sign-up page.

Please advise ASAP.

• Brashell
    • The Bug Hunter

Any thing in the error logs? What is a link to the site? Have you enabled debug to see what pops up? Anything in the console? What version of wordpress are you using? If your using 3.8, and were on 3.7 before, did it work properly? Did you try disabling themes and plugins?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @David,

Hope your well today, And thanks for your question.

Would you mind if I made a test registration on the site? Could you also upgrade to the latest, 3.4.6.1 version of Membership.

Are you using Positive or Negative rules, do all membership subscription plans have a access level attached to them?

Do those access levels, have at least one rule attached to them?

Do you only have the one PayPal express gateway active?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Jack,

You can (try to) make a test registration. The address is http://www.isftd.org.

All membership plans have the same access level. There is no restricted content.

All access levels have a positive rule attached (access to all pages).

Only PayPal Express is active.

Plugin is updated to the latest version

Wordpress is updated to latest version.

There is nothing in the error logs. Also, there are no errors popping up in the console.

So far, the only way I can get the plugin to work is if I am already logged in as admin. If I logout and try to create a new membership, it doesn't work - I fill out the form, click "Register My Account" and it just reloads the page.

Do new members have to create a Wordpress login for the site BEFORE they can sign up for a membership, or something? (IF so, that would be a really poor implementation of a membership system.)

I feel like I must be missing something really basic here - very frustrating.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @David

Thanks for the additional information, don't worry, your not missing anything at all.

The issue here appears to be a possible conflict with a plugin, do you have any password type plugins installed (i.e, force change password, etc). Or any other user management plugin?

If you don't, the beta here should work https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/authorizenet-gateway-beta-release#post-562225

Make sure you deactivate and delete the current membership plugin first, then install that beta :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Jack,

I have very few plugins installed, and no user management plugins other than this one.

The list is:
    wp-jquery-lightbox
    WP Maintenance Mode (deactivated)
    WPMU DEV Dashboard (deactivated)
    TinyMCE Advanced
    My Custom CSS

(The last one is just being used to change the color of some buttons in the theme.)

I am trying the beta now and will report back in a minute.

Thanks!
    David

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Jack,

Unfortunately that didn't work. The issue is exactly the same:

When I fill out the form and click "Register My Account", it just reloads the page. If I login as admin and do the same thing, it takes me to the PayPal payment screen.

David

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi David,

Sorry to hear the same issues exists, could I have some additional details sent through please?

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jack Kitterhing"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Jack,

Well, it's a good start - except for one major problem.

I tested the page by trying to set up a dummy membership account. Everything worked as expected, and after filling in my information, I was taken to the PayPal payment page.

Of course, I stopped short of actually paying - the problem is that Membership went ahead and created the account, even though I didn't pay!

While it didn't assign a membership level (making the dummy members easy to distinguish from real members in the member list) the potential for serious confusion and spam abuse is too obvious to ignore.

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening?

Also, although not nearly as important, there is an alignment issue in the header of the pop-up, and the header text gets cut off.

David

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there David,

Hope your well today and thanks for the additional information.

On the alignment issue, I couldn't see that on my screen, which screen size are you using? Also which browser are you using? :slight_smile:

On the registration this is actually default, so that membership has a user account to assign the level to, though let's see if there's any sort of workaround for that, the lead developer @Eugene Manuilov might have a way :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Jack,

Regarding the alignment issue - I've tried multiple machines (Mac and PC) and browsers, including Chrome, Firefox and Explorer.

The text at the top of the pop-up - "Register of Login to Purchase" - is cut off.

David

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Jack,

Another issue regarding the pop-up sign-up form. Although it does work, and it got us up and going in a pinch - we really need to collect more information from our members than just a random username. At the very least, the full name and maybe the mailing address.

Based on the searching I've done, it looks like the only way to collect additional info is with Buddy Press, and that won't work with the pop-up.

I think I'm back to square one. I need to figure out a way to get the original form working, and then set-up Buddypress to collect more info.

Eugene had mentioned collecting a screenshot that might be helpful, earlier in the thread. I'm posting that below.

David

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there David,

Hope your well today and thanks for your question.

That's correct, currently the only way is with BuddyPress to collect additional information, so for this we need to get the original login form working.

Would you mind if I shared the logins with @Eugene Manuilov ?

Thanks for your patience on this.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Eugene Manuilov
    • Syntax Hero

Hi @David

I have looked at your site and upgraded the plugin to the latest beta (3.5.beta.7). After it I've selected standard registration form (not popup) in the plugin settings and tried to register. I have successfully created new account and see PayPal button after registration. Looks like it works fine right now.

Could yolu please check the registration process and let me know whether or not it works as you expect?

Regards,
    Eugene

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Eugene,

I'm betting you were still logged in as admin when you did your testing - is that correct?

As soon as you made the change, I started getting complaints that people couldn't register, and I had to switch it back.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if you're logged in as admin, then you can get the standard form to work. When you're logged out, the form stops working. Instead of going to paypal it just takes you back to the registration page.

David

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Bumping this again. Jack and Eugene - I very much appreciate your help, although I really need to get an answer here as soon as possible. I'm canceling our WPMU subscription here very soon, and don't have much time to get this issue resolved. (The non-profit organization that I'm building this site for is getting particularly frustrated that we're paying for support for something that hasn't worked correctly from day one.)

• Eugene Manuilov
    • Syntax Hero

Hi @David

The reason why it has not worked for you was in your settings. You have selected Register page as Registration page at Membership Pages section, but in fact you have used Join ISFTD page on the front end.

So I have selected proper page, set standard form and it works fine. I have been enable to go through all the steps to register new user and stopped at PayPal page before pay.

Check it now, it has to work.

Regards,
    Eugene

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.