When to include common files in subsite snaphot?

When setting up a new snapshot for a subsite, I'm not clear if I should select this option: " Include common files: Media (wp-content/blogs.dir/323/files)"

I looked at the files in this folder and they are mostly images used in building this subsite. They are not common to other sites.

So what is a common media file? And will they always be found across all subsites?

And if I need to restore a site, is is necessary to have all the files and not just the common files saved?

Thanks, Joe.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @joejacobson! :slight_smile:

Let's walk through this here:

When setting up a new snapshot for a subsite, I'm not clear if I should select this option: " Include common files: Media (wp-content/blogs.dir/323/files)"

I looked at the files in this folder and they are mostly images used in building this subsite. They are not common to other sites.

That's right, those are the files for that subsite, as intended. :slight_smile:

So what is a common media file? And will they always be found across all subsites?

Common files are images, videos, files that have been uploaded to the Media Library. The ones to be backed up will be the ones that belong to that subsite (as Snapshot works on a site by site basis).

And if I need to restore a site, is is necessary to have all the files and not just the common files saved?

If you're restoring a subsite, then you'll need to make sure that the common files have been backed up (as subsites won't have any plugins or themes to import, you'd only be backing those up if you're backing up the main site, and restoring it on another network).

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.