When to use cloner vs multisite content copier plugins

Do these cloner and copier plugins have different uses or are they functionally the same? I see the ui diff just trying to determine why to use one or the other.

Thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello wpmudevorg24,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

These two plugin may sound similar at first glance but although some of their features indeed overlap they are for different purposes.

Cloner

This is a tool that let's you create "1:1" copies (clone) existing sites over Multisite network. For example:

- there's a sub-site named "MySite" which is very popular and gets huge amount of traffic
    - you'd like to make some improvements to it without taking the risk of working on "live" site
    - with Cloner you'll be able to fully clone (make carbon copy) that sub-site to another one and then test and implement your ideas there. Furthermore, once you finish you work, you could even clone that site "back" to original one.

Multisite Content Copier

That's a tool designed to help you copy/populate content to other site's of your Multisite Network. For example: you posted an important article on the main site of your multisite and you'd like it to be also posted on all or some of other sub-sites of your network. Multisite Content Copier will help you do this.

I hope that makes sense and if you have any further questions on this, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Lee

Thank you. When I read the paragraphs below I began to think that I would do everything in Content Copier and why have two when one does it all.

Text from content copier
    "A Big Time Saver Save a bunch of time on site creation and setup. Populate entire sites in a matter of seconds. Quickly seed new sites with content, users and plugins. Move content to a single site, groups of sites or every site on your network with a click."

Text from cloner
    "Migrate, Stage, Backup Cloner makes light work of site migration, backups and safe staging and deployment. Use default settings and copy your entire site or select only the elements you want to transfer. Perfect for managing live sites."

Is it your opinion that they should both be used on a multisite network and separate tasks ie.
    cloner - do the whole site or sites
    content copier - some content to a site or sites

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello wpmudevorg24!

As I explained before, some features of these plugins may partially overlap but I'd use them in a following manner:

- Cloner: in case I'd like to make a full copy of selected site of my MultiSite network (e.g. create copy for testing or just create a new site on the base of another)

- Multisite Content Copier - in case I'd like to copy e.g a bunch of posts from one of the sites to a group of other sites on my Multisite network.

The bottom line is: I'd treat Cloner as a sort of "xerox machine" for entire sites of my Multisite while Content Copier would be a tool to "re-print" selected content over the Multisite network :slight_smile:

I hope that sounds a bit clearer but of course let me know if you still got questions on this.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @wpmudevorg24,

Cloner can only be used inside existing network, it can't be used to copy from one WP installation on another.

For that case Snapshot is a way to go and blog post you linked above is great tutorial to help you with this.

You just need to note that currently you need to create snapshot of each of your sites in network and restore them on your new installation.

Entire network backup is under work and we are hoping to see that option include in future :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag