When trying to change Home page to Static page, theme shows both pages

I am trying to change default Home Page of Blogs MU to a Static page that I created. When I change it and save. Both pages show up on top of each other. First I see default home page and when I scroll down the static page shows right below the home page.

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @paidinstyle

Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team and thank you for being a member of our community.

Can you share a link with us, please? I would like to look at the code on the page and see why it’s having this behavior.

Look forward to the link and assisting you further.

Have a good day!

Gina

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @paidinstyle

I had a look at the link you provided and checked the code of the page in Firebug on Firefox. I noticed that the top part (the default MU Blogs home page) is placed under the <div id=”intro-content”> and the second part on the page (the custom page that you created) is placed under the <div id=”wrapper”>.

See my screenshots to better explain my findings.

Please have a look at the code that you have on your custom page that you created. Does it mention any of the code from the default Blogs MU home page in there?

Look forward to your feedback…

Gina

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi paidinstyle,

As @gina mentioned, your “default” content is displaying in <div id=”intro-content”> which is very odd.

Did you create your static page in a custom template, then select that template in the admin post editor? If so, you need to put the content in <div id=”wrapper”> instead.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

heya!

just create a new page. on the page template menu on the right click on the dropdown and changethe page template to full width (or something else as availablein the theme)a few themesdispayblogposts onthe top of the pages. try changing the page template to all the available types one by one and check.

cheers

PC

posted from my mobile, on my journey so please excuse my spellings and formatting

http://www.goob.in

• paidinstyle
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Sorry I forgot to mention…I took some of the php code out of header.php so the media box is not present.

Today I actually copied over the original header.php, the way it comes in packaged theme, then created new custom page and made it home page and it does the same thing again.

I was wondering if somebody can go into my admin and take a look at it

• paidinstyle

Thanks, Gina,

I just emailed you user id and password. Also, we actually tried to work around.

Disabled all the upper sections from default home page through admin so now the desired page is more or less gets visible.

Let me know if any questions.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@helen,

Here is a screenshot of your site, on this could you please highlight the overlap which you have stated above in the primary post, i mean the default home page and the static page which you have created. I am asking for it to get an idea of what exactly is happening so that i can play with my theme and try to replicate the issue for you.

Cheers

PC

• paidinstyle

Hmmm…I do not have a picture. Right now it’s still displaying both pages. We just deactivated all the sections on the Theme Options for the HOME Page.

1. Disabled Featured Groups in Homepage

2. Disabled the Header Section

3. Disabled Bottom Services Block in Homepage

So right now it basically shows the Page below Home Page.

Also, remember I mentioned that I removed part of the code for Featured Intro Block (in header.php) since the disable feature is not available for this Block. I think this might be the issue…I might have removed it incorrectly and messed up the structure.

Thanks for your help.

Helen

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yeah, it got loaded now, I think it was a network glitch @ my ISP’s end.

Could you please change it to the default style and lemme c how the site looks like so as I can compare the current look and the default look, or if its a sandbox site, and not a live one, access to the dashboard might be helpful.

I am online in forums for 2 more hours.

Cheers

PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

the current home page looks like the screenshot and what I think you want it that circled part to be removed once you change it to your static home page ?

Is that right ? of if you could send me a screenshot on my e-mail.

Please advise

Cheers

PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

What I have understood is that to achieve what I am pasting in the screenshot, which I have edited in paint (Also tested that on my own live website before posting it here in the forum) we need to do the below here:-

Navigate here using your FTP program

wp-content/themes/blogs-mu/lib/templates/wp-template and download sections.php onto your PC.

And remove the below , it should be somewhere in the first 10 lines

<div class=&quot;one-community&quot;><?php echo stripslashes($tn_blogsmu_featured_sub_intro_post); ?></div>

This would remove the Network sub intro block off the homepage, the reason is that if we delete the text defined in theme options, It would be replaced with the default text and a block line would be displayed even if we manage to remove the text. removing these lines would remove the whole block.

This should not impact the site performance as its just the sub intro we have removed here.

Now comes the part which might be impacted after the update of this theme (which keeps on coming after every sometime as our developers work really hard. To avoid the changes from being lost we have 2 approaches

1 : Set the permissions for sections.php to 444 (Read Only) so as to avoid it being overwritten in any future updates

OR

2: If you do not want to make changes to sections.php in the parent theme, create a duplicat file directory to sections.php and put the change in a sections.php file in the child folder. This would work and you would not have to make your sections.php file read only with an exception that you might still need to update that file when the new update changes it as that could result in errors or missing some new/fixed functionality.

So, either you can use the first option or the second.

Please check and advise. I am sure that will help

Cheers!

PC

I research and try my best so that my responses are helpful. Appreciate a + if it is. If it's not, please let me know so that I study more before I write my exams here :slight_smile:.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi Helen and PC,

If all we’re trying to do now is remove the sub-intro block, rather than butchering the template files (and needing to reset ftp permissions, or redo custom work after an update), simply add the following to your stylesheet:

#top-content {
    display:none;
    }

Most custom jobs like this can be achieved through basic css adjustments.

Hope this helps! :o)

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yup, tested, working fine(On my site) :slight_smile: Well a new learning though, I took the long way :wink:

Well I am content that atleast I gave it a try :slight_smile:

Though one question, once we get an update, would it be intact ?

Cheers

PC

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi PC,

Well I am content that atleast I gave it a try :slight_smile:

That is the most important thing: it is impossible to succeed if you don’t at least try. Plus, by trying, we often discover new ideas along the way :o)

Though one question, once we get an update, would it be intact ?

As long as the changes are made to a child-theme, they are safe from theme updates.

The only way to inadvertently lose the customizations in a WPMUdev child-theme is to upload and overwrite the child-theme files during the theme update. To prevent this if it is a source of worry, make a backup copy of any modified child-theme files (especially stylesheets, as most customization will likely be there) before updating the child-theme.

Then check the functionality of your site. If things are a bit wonky (yes, that’s the official word), compare the backed up files with the new ones to see what has been modified in the codes. You can then choose to either overwrite the old child-theme files/templates with the new, or add the modified code snippets to your old ones.

Hope this helps! :o)

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Helen, what I have noticed is that the switching between the default homepage and a static page is working fine, the only reason it seems that both the pages are displaying on top of each other is, the subintro post is common in both the pages secondly, if you configure the default homepage to show some posts or some services blocks, you will not see a blank default homepage as you are seeing now and as the default home is blank, when u switch it to a static page, it gives a feel that they are overlapped however they actually are not.

Cheers

PC

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again Helen,

I checked your header.php code and it should work fine, even with the section of code removed.

Could you again select a static page as your homepage and let me know when you have done so? It would help if I could take a look at the problem live. Thanks!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Heya pcwriter,

That is the most important thing: it is impossible to succeed if you don’t at least try. Plus, by trying, we often discover new ideas along the way :o)

100 % agree

As long as the changes are made to a child-theme, they are safe from theme updates.

Will keep that in mind and note it down in my tiny red book as well :slight_smile:

Cheers

PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

and I am pretty sure that once you have configured a few settings for your default home page and seen it live, then switch to a static homepage, that would change swiftly and you will find only one thing in common, that is the network sub intro post, which is quite normal as we have not got it disabled. :slight_smile:

Cheers

PC

• paidinstyle

Well, I am leaving right now and be back in the afternoon. This is a LIVE site and I just don’t want to leave it like that for the whole day. I will do it as soon as I come back and let you know. Thanks so much for all your help!

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Helen

I am so happy that you were in good hands with @pcwriter and PC. I was away from my post for a day, resting after being sick for a few days; and found that our members were assisting you just fine. We are blessed to have these guys in here on the forums for these unforeseen moments when we ourselves can’t be here to assist.

I am back at my post, so if you need any further assistance from me please just email or post here to this thread. I will be following it for sure, but since PC and @pcwriter already did some work on here I will assist if you need me to.

Talk soon and hope to get you sorted at the earliest.

Have a good weekend!

Gina

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

@pcwriter and PC

And it’s not just any balloons – oh no, it’s helium balloons :slight_smile:

I hope to always post to the forums as well, PC. Good to be back at my post.

Thanks guys for assisting Helen. It’s truly great to have a community of members that cares and give support freely.

Have a good weekend :slight_smile:

Gina

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Helen, as you can see, we’re a happy bunch here on the forums :slight_smile:

But back to the issue at hand. Do you need any further support from my side. I am available throughout the weekend, so I can assist, if you need me. Just be in touch here on the forum or via email.

Have a good weekend!

Gina

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hiya Helen

I noticed that your membership is showing inactive. So not sure if you got sorted or not. I will resolve this thread, but please don’t hesitate to reopen it if you still require additional feedback from our Support Team. Just select the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (otherwise we might miss your new post).

All the best and hope you get your site sorted and look forward to welcome you back as a member soon!

Gina

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey GWBB ! Jumping to say hi… I wish there was a PM option on our site to say hi to fellow members and staff.. But I know why that is not here.. (else you will start getting personal requests for issues )

Cheers

PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.