When using Popup Pro with Gravity Forms, my site load time gets bogged down..

I created multiple popups of forms using PopUp Pro using the .css click option. I use the footer load method (none of the others work well). Whether I use ajax for the form or not, the load time of the site and mysql queries increase dramatically. Any ideas why it is doing that and how to solve it? It seems its causing all the forms I have in the popup pro to be loading and querying on every page.

Philipp Stracker

Hi @Thomas,

I could not find any clue to the behavior you are describing neither by testing nor by checking our plugins code...

Unfortunately I'm be attending a Workshop this week and therefore cannot investigate the issue in detail right now but earliest on next Monday...

Until then you can do some performance-tests and share the results with us here:
    1. Install the "P3 Plugin Performance Profiler" (https://wordpress.org/plugins/p3-profiler/)
    2. In Admin > Tools > P3 Plugin Profiler do a Scan with PopUp plugin disabled
    3. Then enable the PopUp plugin (confirm page is slower than before) and do another scan
    4. In the Scan details you have a button "Email these results" - don't email them but copy-paste the results that are displayed in the Email-Form and share them here (either directly copy-paste them to your reply or into a text file that you attach to the reply)
    Copy-paste the results of both scans so we can compare them.

I'll review the results you post as soon as I can and respond to you. Maybe I will still need to check your site via WPMU DEV Support Access next time to check the plugin settings/PopUp details...

Thanks for your help and sorry for the delay on this thread.
    Philipp

Thomas

Here are the results. Thanks.

With the PopUp Pro turned off:

WordPress Plugin Profile Report
    ===========================================
    Report date: October 13, 2014
    Theme name: unknown
    Pages browsed: 17
    Avg. load time: 0.1857 sec
    Number of plugins: 7
    Plugin impact: 78.65% of load time
    Avg. plugin time: 0.1461 sec
    Avg. core time: 0.0159 sec
    Avg. theme time: 0.0402 sec
    Avg. mem usage: 13.15 MB
    Avg. ticks: 239
    Avg. db queries : 118.41
    Margin of error : -0.0164 sec

Plugin list:
    P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) - 0.0447 sec - 30.59% Advanced Page Manager - 0.0553 sec - 37.85% Insert Pages - 0.0162 sec - 11.09% What The File - 0.0001 sec - 0.07% BJ Lazy Load - 0.0143 sec - 9.79% All-in-One Event Calendar by Time.ly - 0.0048 sec - 3.27% Threewp Broadcast - 0.0107 sec - 7.34%

With the plugin turned on:

WordPress Plugin Profile Report
    Report date: October 13, 2014
    Theme name: unknown
    Pages browsed: 17
    Avg. load time: 0.9248 sec
    Number of plugins: 8
    Plugin impact: 95.00% of load time
    Avg. plugin time: 0.8786 sec
    Avg. core time: 0.0328 sec
    Avg. theme time: 0.0242 sec
    Avg. mem usage: 27.79 MB
    Avg. ticks: 14,153
    Avg. db queries : 884.41
    Margin of error : -0.0108 sec

Plugin list:
    P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) - 0.0387 sec - 4.40% Advanced Page Manager - 0.0363 sec - 4.13% Insert Pages - 0.0755 sec - 8.60% PopUp Pro - 0.7199 sec - 81.94% What The File - 0.0001 sec - 0.01% BJ Lazy Load - 0.0001 sec - 0.02% Threewp Broadcast - 0.0076 sec - 0.87% All-in-One Event Calendar by Time.ly - 0.0002 sec - 0.03%

As a note, when I disable all the popups, the speed increases close to the same as when the plugin itself is disabled.

Philipp Stracker

Hi Thomas,

I just did some testing with PopUp Pro and Gravity Forms (and also the other plugins that are mentioned in your P3 report) but I could not reproduce any issue that showed the impact documented in your P3 results.

Does this performance issue only happen for (a) admins (b) all logged-in users (c) all visitors including guests?

To track down the issue further you can install the debugging plugin "Query Monitor" (https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-monitor/). This will show a new item in the toolbar for Administrator users only. The new item shows some performance stats of the current page, including loading-time, DB-performance, executed DB-queries, etc.
    You can either use the plugin to analyze the page yourself and report what you find - or easier: You send us login details for your site and we will analyze the results ourselfs. We'll not change anything on your site but only use the Query Monitor results to track down the bottleneck.

You can use the contact form to send us:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    Select "I have a different question"
    Subject: "Attn: Philipp Stracker"
    In the message please include a link to this forum thread as well as the login details for an Administrator user on your website (in case it is a multi-site installation you have to also check the "Super Admin" checkbox to make the user a Super-Admin).

Also the PopUp Pro plugin needs to be active for debugging; we can also enable the plugin when we start and disable it once we are done on your site.

Looking forward to your reply to get this issue sorted
    Thanks, Philipp