Where are the child themes?

I just installed FrameMarket and was about to activate it when I saw this message "Parent theme for all MarketPress themes – don’t use directly please use children themes". So, I shouldn't use the theme I downloaded? Where are the child themes located?

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi WarpedMind

Hope you don't mind me referring to one of my other threads, but I think you will find a lot of useful information there that can assist you with this question.

Please have a look:

GridMarket as a child theme for theme other then FrameMarket

Have a read through over a nice cup of coffee (or tea if you prefer that more :slight_smile: ) and then let me know if you have any questions.

Talk soon again!

Gina

• webcrafter

Hi there Warpedmind,

If you don't mind I will try and put a few words in that may help I hope, if I don't do a good enough job let me know....

A theme is a series of files and I know you already know this, kind of shooting off the cuff here to cover the subject as a whole for you and whoever else may happen across the thread here.

But a them is a series of files that consist typically of .php (the html and programming parts) files and .css (the style as in behavior and look and feel) files. Some themes also have javascript and added php scripts to handle certain aspects of a web them such as the sidebar behavior, default menu behaviors dealing with pages and posts, etc...Wordpress comes with a default theme that has most if not all of this per-programmed in so it is all being used as supposed to such as the loop which is the basis of how wordpress works. This theme such as TwentyOne is what forms what could be considered a framework of sorts, or a guide that other themes can be based on through the use of child themes that just change certain behaviors to get it to do what is desired without having to start from scratch and create everything...your framemarket is the same way, it is a framework that has all the required and bells whistles programmed in some format. Child themes from this is how you would get things to work the way you want them to like getting the text to look a certain way, or pages to be placed in the menu a certain way without having to change the base code that was developed, this also makes it so when this framework is upgraded, especially if you have auto update engage your changes do not get lost, disappear, or your website doesn't suddenly start looking a completely different way.

What a child is to be put simply is a copy of a file that exists in the parent theme that holds the changes that you want, if that child file doesn't exist then the default is to use the parent file. If it does exist it is used to override the original with the changes you are wanting to take place.

So basically it is like taking a photo, making a copy and saving that copy then making the changes that you want, that way if you mess up on the changes you always have an original to go back to, while at the same time if it is an original photo that periodically updates itself your changes do not get overwritten by the new changes unexpectedly...

Does this help any?

Thanks,
    Brad

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.