Where Are The Installation Instructions For Communities 1.1.9?

Hello,

Just downloaded the new Communities 1.1.9 and cannot seem to locate the installation instructions about where the files are supposed to be put on the server.

Am I overlooking them?

Thanks,
Phil D

SooBahkDo

Before we close this.

Where an older version of Communities is already installed, what must be removed and deleted in what directories before installing the new version?

This information has typically been included in the install instructions for older WPMUDEV plugins being converted to the newer install method, but I did not see it on this one's instructions.

I believe it was:
    Communities.php - goes in /wp-admin
    Communities-framework.php - goes in /wp-content/mu-plugins

Also does the new install require network activation to function properly or can it be activated site by site?

Please advise.

Phil D

Patrick

Hi @SooBahkDo

Simply updating the plugin via the WPMU DEV Dashboard should suffice. All old files will be overwritten.

Also does the new install require network activation to function properly or can it be activated site by site?

As this plugin is multisite-compatible only, it should be network-activated.

I'm going to go ahead and mark this thread as resolved. If you still need more help on this, simply re-open the thread by ticking the Mark as Not Resolved (re-open) box below.

SooBahkDo

Hi Patrick,

Previously when a plugin was upgraded and replaced an mu-plugin version, the files in mu-plugins had to be manually deleted before installing the new version...unless the installation procedure has been modified to auto-delete the file in mu-plugins. ???

Also, with respect to network activation or not, a number of multisite compatible plugins can be activated site by site so they can be offered as pro-plugins. Can you confirm with the developer that communities is not one of those types?

Thanks
    Phil D

Paul

@SooBahkDo,

Yes, sorry. In the older version of the plugin (1.1.7 and prior) the instructions for install were the following:

Communities.php - goes in /wp-admin
    Communities-framework.php - goes in /wp-content/mu-plugins

So you should remove the Communities.php from your wp-admin if it is still there. Most times a WP will remove these 'extra' files automatically.

As for the plugin location please remove it from your mu-plugins folder. You should also delete if it exists from your regular plugins folder to get a cleaner install.

As for activation on Network or single Multisite blog. There is no requirement or limitation that the plugin MUST be Network activated. you can activate this on individual blogs only. But sort of goes against the initial concept of being like BuddyPress functionality. To each his own.

SooBahkDo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the clarifications.

If communities is activated on a single site on a network, (not network wide) does it limit community members to being only members of that particular site?

SCENARIO 1
    That is, when communities is activated on say two different sites on a network, would activating it individually one each site allow members of each site to create their own communities among members of their particular site, but members on the other sites would not have access to the communities created by users on the other site?

SCENARIO 2
    And if communities is activated network wide then all users of all sites would have access to all communities created by users on any site on the network?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks,
    Phil D

Paul

@SooBahkDo,

No. When activated by the individual blog the community data is not private and only accessible by users of that blog. When the plugin is activated (either Network or from an individual blog) a set of database tables are created on the primary blog.
    When users on one blog create a community other users from other blogs can access these. Actually the community can be made private when registering.

See the image attached. But from the form label this just means the user has to enter code to join.

SooBahkDo

Hi Paul,

That is exactly the "concept mindset" and feature that seems to be missing on several multisite network plugins.

If running a blog network for paying customers, as the network owner, I may want to provide some subsite owners with feature access independent of any other sites on the network.

In a number of cases it is preferable that users of subsites on the multisite network (subscribers to those subsites) never even need to know they are on a site that is part of a multisite network once the site owner has mapped a custom domain for their site.

Subsite admins should be able to allow their users to access their site, log in, use the features of their subsite and users never even be aware they are part of a multisite network if thats how the subsite admin wants to run their site.

The Communities plugin misses this concept by not providing features as you describe. It would be perfect if the site admin could select whether the communities their users have access to and which they can create are "groups localized to the subsite" or "network wide global communities." With that setting distinction, then a site owner who does not want their users aware of other sites on the network and/or other users on the network could still provide communities (perhaps called "local groups") for their site's users and thus keep them isolated from network users and network sites.

As for proposing features, I have had ZERO luck with getting buy in for any proposed plugin tweaks or features I have taken the time to post at WPMUDEV so its probably not worth my time to go through that hassle of explaining this concept again.

I understand that the needs of the many must outweigh the needs of the few and if I am the only one needing "local site groups features" in addition to "network communities features," then I'll probably have to hire it done to get it.

However, it seems like that is a feature which would provide an additional opportunity for multisite network owners to be able to offer yet another premium feature to all the admins of subsites on their network since it would allow them to "privatize" the community feature by limiting it to only the members on their site if they want to do that.

That said, Forums have the same need. A forum provided for users on one site on a network may have nothing to do with any other site or any other users on the network and thus needs to be limited to the relevant audience. Same concept is applicable to "networkwide communities" versus "local subsite groups."

Thanks,
    Phil D