Where can I find

Where can I find how to set DNS records? to point to my IP?

• Mahlamusa

First you will have to go to your wordpress dashboard and open the "Tools > Domain Mapping" page, copy the IP address listed on that page and go to your domain registra to enter the IP in your DNS settings.

To do this, if you are using cPanel, you can do this by accessing the "Advanced Zone Eitor" in your cpanel account under domains, change the IP Address corresponding to your domain, say your domain is example.com, there will be an IP address next to that. Replace the IP address with the one you copied from Domain Mapping page.

I have provided a screenshot to show you what to change. Please note that this may be different depending on your host. You can ask your host/domain registrar for the precise steps.

Once you update your DNS record, you should try adding your domain and it should work. But please note that some times it may take a few minutes to a few hours for the changes to be effective.

If you do not have a dedicated IP address for your multisite install then you should consider adding the domain you want to map as a parked/addon domain to your cpanel account. The parked/addon domain must be pointed to the root folder/directory of the multisite install. To do this, you go to the "Domains" section of your cPanel and click on "Addon Domain" / "Parked Domain", then enter the details like in the screenshot. Please see the attached screenshot for an illustration.

Once the domain has been propagated and after adding it in your "Tools > Domain Mapping" page, then it should work as expected.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jonathan,

Yes making it a dedicated IP should resolve your issue providing that the documentroot of the dedicated IP will be pointed to your multisite install, that is the important part.

A quick test to check if the IP's document root is set correctly is to visit it directly in your browser, going to your IP address should direct you to your WordPress site, if it instead gives you a cpanel or hosting splash page then it isn't setup correctly and you will need to contact your host and ask them to set it up so the document root of your IP is set to the root folder of your WP site.

Alternatively, if you can't get a dedicated IP or can't get that document root set correctly then you will need to do the add-on or parked domain method that Mahlamusa mentioned above

If you have any further questions on that or it just still isn't working after trying that then can you send us your cPanel so we can investigate further?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
      -WordPress admin username
      -WordPress admin password
      -login url
      -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
      -link back to this thread for reference
      -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
      Tyler