Where do I find the key file which I need to set up my google calendar access?

Hi,
I'm trying to set up access to my google calendar. I don't know how or where to find the key file name. Can you help please?
Cheers
Phil

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Phil,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question! :slight_smile:

Here are the complete instructions for the Gcal integration

Go to Google apis console by clicking https://code.google.com/apis/console/. Login to your Google account if you are not already logged in.

Create a new project using the left side pane. Name the project "Appointments" (or use your chosen name instead)

Click "Services" from left side pane and set "Calendar API" as ON.

Click "API Access" from left side pane.

Click "Create an OAuth 2.0 Client ID" button.

Enter a Product Name, e.g. A+, inside the opening pop-up. Click Next.

Select "Service account" under Client ID Settings in the new pop-up.

Click "create Client ID". Getting the result may take a few seconds.

Click "Download private key" button in the opening pop-up.

Using your FTP client program, copy this key file to folder: /home/sites/your-path/public_html/mem/wp-content/plugins/appointments//includes/gcal/key/ .

This file is required as you will grant access to your Google Calendar account even if you are not online. So this file serves as a proof of your consent to access to your Google calendar account. Note: This file cannot be uploaded in any other way. If you do not have FTP access, ask the website admin to do it for you.

Enter the name of the key file to "Key file name" setting of Appointments+.

Exclude the extention .p12.

Copy "Email address" setting of Google apis console and paste it to "Service account email address" setting of Appointments+.
    Open your Google Calendar by clicking this link: https://www.google.com/calendar/render

Create a new Calendar by selecting "my Calendars > Create new calendar" on left side pane. Try NOT to use your primary calendar. If you have to, please see this post: Forum

Give a name to the new calendar, e.g. Appointments test calendar. Check that Calendar Time Zone setting matches with time zone setting of your WordPress website. Otherwise there will be a time shift.

Paste already copied "Email address" setting of Google apis console to "Person" field under "Share with specific person".
    Set "Permission Settings" of this person as "make changes to events".

Click "Add Person".

Click "Create Calendar".

Select the created calendar and click "Calendar settings".
    Copy "Calendar ID" value on Calendar Address row.
    Paste this value to "Calendar to be used" field of Appointments+ settings.
    Select the desired Integration mode: A+->GCal or A+<->GCal.
    Click "Save Settings" on Appointments+ settings.

After these stages, you have set up Google Calendar API. To test the connection, click the "Test Connection" link which should be visible after you clicked save settings button.

The key specifically is when you create the client ID, it should prompt you to save, save that key. :slight_smile:

Of course any issues we're here to help.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Philip

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Are you sure your instructions are up to date?

I could only get so far - see below:

On 9 Sep 2014, at 13:48, WPMU DEV Community <contact@incsub.com> wrote:

There is a new post on [Where do I find the key file which I need to set up my google calendar access?]

Reply by: Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Phil,
    Hope you're well today and thanks for your question! :slight_smile:

Here are the complete instructions for the Gcal integration
    Go to Google apis console by clicking https://code.google.com/apis/console/. Login to your Google account if you are not already logged in.
    Create a new project using the left side pane. Name the project "Appointments" (or use your chosen name instead)
    Click "Services" from left side pane and set "Calendar API" as ON.

There is no “Services” to click. See attached screenshot. Instead I think I have done the same thing by clicking on “APIs & Auth”

Click "API Access" from left side pane.

There is no such button

Click "Create an OAuth 2.0 Client ID" button.

No button - think did same thing from the “Credentials button”

Enter a Product Name, e.g. A+, inside the opening pop-up. Click Next.

Was no area to do this in the pop window - now given up trying to follow the rest!

Select "Service account" under Client ID Settings in the new pop-up.
    Click "create Client ID". Getting the result may take a few seconds.
    Click "Download private key" button in the opening pop-up.
    Using your FTP client program, copy this key file to folder: /home/sites/your-path/public_html/mem/wp-content/plugins/appointments//includes/gcal/key/ .
    This file is required as you will grant access to your Google Calendar account even if you are not online. So this file serves as a proof of your consent to access to your Google calendar account. Note: This file cannot be uploaded in any other way. If you do not have FTP access, ask the website admin to do it for you.
    Enter the name of the key file to "Key file name" setting of Appointments+.
    Exclude the extention .p12.
    Copy "Email address" setting of Google apis console and paste it to "Service account email address" setting of Appointments+.
    Open your Google Calendar by clicking this link: https://www.google.com/calendar/render
    Create a new Calendar by selecting "my Calendars > Create new calendar" on left side pane. Try NOT to use your primary calendar. If you have to, please see this post: Forum
    Give a name to the new calendar, e.g. Appointments test calendar. Check that Calendar Time Zone setting matches with time zone setting of your WordPress website. Otherwise there will be a time shift.
    Paste already copied "Email address" setting of Google apis console to "Person" field under "Share with specific person".
    Set "Permission Settings" of this person as "make changes to events".
    Click "Add Person".
    Click "Create Calendar".
    Select the created calendar and click "Calendar settings".
    Copy "Calendar ID" value on Calendar Address row.
    Paste this value to "Calendar to be used" field of Appointments+ settings.
    Select the desired Integration mode: A+->GCal or A+<->GCal.
    Click "Save Settings" on Appointments+ settings.
    After these stages, you have set up Google Calendar API. To test the connection, click the "Test Connection" link which should be visible after you clicked save settings button.
    The key specifically is when you create the client ID, it should prompt you to save, save that key. :slight_smile:
    Of course any issues we're here to help.
    Thanks!
    Kind Regards
    Jack.

• François Grenier

Hi!

I know it is an old thread but its easier for me to go on with the last post from Philip than starting all over again.

I've done the calendar integration with success in the past but this time when I generate the key I got something like this : Appointments+-4b7f8d2fdcec

instead of the supposed: ab12345678901234567890-privatekey

when I try to integate that key in appointments+ plugin it don't work.

I've generated the key exactly as Jack's last post....

Thanks

Francois

• calvinrogercanas

Hello,

Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in here. :slight_smile:

For a start, I think you are using the new console of google developers. I also tried to integrate Google Calendar with apps+ with the latest version of console and I came with the same issue. I will notify the plugin developer to give his valuable input on the matter.

For temporary solution can you still use the old console? Google shows a popup to let you choose if you want to use the old console.

Also, the developer may reply slower than normal because he also keeps improving the plugins and solving complex threads. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Calvin

• calvinrogercanas

Hello @François Grenier,

Hope you're well!

It seems to work fine with me after checking the request graph report. http://prntscr.com/5etou3 . I think on the new google console the generated key's name comes with the name of the project you are working. In my case I named my project "APPOINTMENT" so I am a getting a key like this: APPOINTMENT-4d17e9131f25.p12

I suggest you to integrate the key then click the "Test Connection" on the bottom of Google Calendar[tab] then go to your google api console and select the project you are working with to view the request graph report. In that way you will see if the request successfully reached the api.

Best Regards,
    Calvin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.